Discussion: Report: Kavanaugh And Accuser Will Testify To Judiciary Committee Monday

Correct, Bill and Monica was he-said-she-said until the blue dress. If not for the blue dress, there was zero case for impeachment against Clinton. Same here, he-said-she-said is not enough. I think a key thing for this is that Kavanaugh has denied even being in attendance at this party. If a witness (or a few) comes forward and says he was definitely at the party, that is huge because he was adamantly denying he was there and says it was mistaken identity. It would still not be enough for criminal action, but it is enough for a few Republicans to change their votes, and only 3 are needed. But absent something like that, he gets confirmed.

2 Likes

…And how are you so sure that you weren’t at that specific party, but have so many fuzzy recollections of things even a couple of decades later, like interviewing Pryor?

I’m fine with faulty memory-- I’m terrible with names, and definitely have accidentally placed one or more ex’s in a trip or memory that was with a different one (you really have to buy your way out of the doghouse after that, “Honey, remember when we went to the Canary Islands?” “No”…).

But to be so crystal clear on one specific event, while so fuzzy on so many other things, that’s kinda suspicious, in my book.

4 Likes

I agree!!

This does not seem to have been a normal party. There were four boys and one young girl. The kids who hung out at the local country club were accustomed to finding out about parties there. She was probably flattered to be asked by a upper classman. As a result she went to the ‘party’ wearing her clothes overa one piece bathing suit. This attire helped thwart the intended rape. Once she got there she found four boys and no girls. The two offenders were drunk but the other three had each just had one beer. At a minimum, the two offenders expected the other two boys to cover for them. If found – which the FBI could probably do – it is unclear how they would now testify

Hatch has learned nothing. See the linked article below.

2 Likes

Just a dab will do ya.

We cut the cable and it is glorious!

1 Like

The guilty flee where no woman pursueth? Premature character testimonials?

1 Like

Back in the early 1960’s you would be surprised how little young girls knew about sex. The only sex information you got was from cartoons in Home Economics classes and what your older sister thought she knew about The Act. This was Ozzie and Harriet America not 50 Shades of Grey. You couldn’t go to the internet and get an immediate answer.

Before the pill, one’s innocence was the only thing that protected girls from being called a slut. Either you were a good girl or bad. So an attack like this by an older boy who targeted an innocent, lured her to a party of popular kids and got her drunk would have been as traumatic as an alien abduction/invasion to a 15-year-old today.

It was horrible and the girl was taught by society that it was all her fault. Nice girls didn’t get raped.

3 Likes

That detail hadn’t really sunk in. To be asked to a “party” by some upper class men, and then discover that it was more of a blind date. Extra horrible and creepy.

2 Likes

I am mystified by this notion. I did not hear his testimony and possibly you did. What he denies is a possibly 10-20 second episode in a room. That is the issue.

I was listening live to the testimony when Kavanaugh non-denied that he didn’t recollect ever meeting or interviewing Pryor. But was able to relate in literally the next sentence details about Pryor’s job, etc. etc.

Seems like the sort of important event that sticks out in your memory-- meeting a big ‘celebrity’. Pryor wasn’t a minor or side random person.

And that was immediately what I thought of when this case came to light later.

Alzheimer’s, maybe? Whatever it is, do we want someone who is so forgetful on the Supreme Court, making literal life and death decisions when they can’t remember what they did the day before?

1 Like

Are you referring to Kavanaugh? This occurred in the 1980s. Plenty of sex info around.

1 Like

from your mouth to gods ear

Her only mistake was not to speak up when Donald Trump announced to the world that any pussy was open season for powerful political men like him. If she had got a jump on the MeToo Movement, her credibility would have been through the roof now instead of being harassed by some of the same senators who tortured Professor Hill.

Whatever happens in these hearings, younger women will learn a lesson from this. Demand passage of the ERA. Scalia told us so 15 years ago. Affirmative action, Title IX and belief in yourself doesn’t matter. Women will be nothing but objects/chattel to conservatives until we demand to be treated like equal human beings under the law. This is a republic and we need to finally make sure we exercise our vote to extend the promise of democracy for everyone.

2 Likes

Republicans are playing with fire with that team of old white men of privilege. The optics are going to be horrible.

My guess is sometime toward the end of the week Judge Kavenaugh’s nomination will be withdrawn.

5 Likes

I saw that interview this evening. Hatch is dumb as a Morman come.

2 Likes

Pro-tip to Hatch: If Kavanaugh did it and we judge him for who he is now, that’s a easy call. In that case, what he is now is a perjurer.

3 Likes

I sat in on a trial once where a young girl was assaulted by young men she had thought were friends at such a ‘party.’ A girlfriend iof hers was warned not to come with her.

1 Like

“I have never done anything like what the accuser describes…” Quickly becomes a different question once you start establishing that the two may have been at the same party, that they may have been isolated, that the other witness in the room on Friday had said he’d never seen his buddy do anything like that, but backed off to a ‘no recollection’ comment on Sunday after the Victim came forth by name…

Besides the comments second-hand from Sen. Hatch today that Kavanaugh claimed to not be at the party (I’ll give a grain of salt on that one without absolute confirmation of the comments), there is a massive difference between claiming that you’ve never done anything like what was described, and a more nuanced version about possible misinterpretations of each other in a drunken teenaged encounter.

That Kavanaugh chose to take the absolutist position, that nothing untoward ever possibly happened, is why he’s facing a problem if she even established the basics of being isolated in a room with him at a party. Because then it’s all about who you believe. And if one person is already established as being misleading…

3 Likes

I should have been a bit clearer in my post. We told our cable outfit g’bye a year ago. I get tv thru Hulu but it is cumbersome, fails a lot, is slllloooww to load and generally sucks. But way cheap. I watch far less tv now.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available