Discussion: READ: Kelly's Full Remarks Defending Trump's Call To Military Widow

That’s how he referred to Rep Luis Guttierez [D-IL], over his criticism of the WH response to the PR crisis. Another attack on a POC member of Congress .

6 Likes

Fifty Shades of Puke

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming that the Congresswoman and Sergeant Johnson’s mother accurately reported the content of the call, Gen. Kelly.

Also, here’s a tip: the thing that may comfort a military father of a fallen soldier (“he was doing exactly what he wanted to do when he was killed … [and] when he died, he was surrounded by the best men on this Earth: his friends”) may not comfort a young spouse and mother. Especially if the message is delivered by a pathological liar and coward who mangles it into “he knew what he was getting into.”

7 Likes

This whole thing infuriates me. Trump just didn’t know what to say or how to say it? Fuck that. It’s his job to figure it out.

My spouse does a lot of public speaking. The amount of preparation that goes into her remarks is enormous. Every word spoken is intentional. Important events are rehearsed out loud multiple times. My spouse puts more effort into a goddamned city council meeting than Trump does into speaking to bereaved families. The President even has people to script this for him. He just has to speak the words as if he’s a normal human being. Instead, he winged it and fucked it up.

Trump is lazy and, yes, a fucking moron. More than ever I see him as a world-class asshole. To put it mildly, addressing a bereaved family from the office of the POTUS is important. It takes a real asshole to not care about that; to even allow for the possibility it could go wrong.

12 Likes

You know, when I was a kid growing up, a lot of things were sacred in our country. Women were sacred, looked upon with great honor. That’s obviously not the case anymore as we see from recent cases.

Like that Marines United thing on Facebook? Or do you mean more like Tailhook, or Aberdeen? If only there were officers way back then with your moral fortitude! No, just kidding. We all know he’s alluding to Harvey Weinstein, like his boss told him to.

Gold Star families, I think that left in the convention over the summer.

Here I assume he’s referring to Trump dragging out Pat Smith, rather than himself politicizing the Khan’s tragedy. No, just kidding. We all know he’s blaming the brown people for going after Trump.

Kelly may very well be necessary to keep us from falling ass-backwards into a war, but I don’t think he’s a good guy.

7 Likes

I’m telling anyone who will listen: what I’m hearing through twitter is that this administration has a consensus around military action against NK. Rather than dissuade Trump from his worst instincts, Kelly, McMaster and Mattis will rationalize, normalize and provide cover for it with the uniform and the shiny medals.

6 Likes

It was Wilson who was the empty barrel at the FBI building dedication ceremony (see below). She obviously didn’t make a good impression of herself, making it about how great she was rather than the fallen officers. Exactly the sort of self-aggrandisement trump gets pilloried for.

Gen. Kelly’s soul is firmly in the hands of the Devil now.

3 Likes

Lets not forget , Kelly confirmed that he told Trump to say" He knew what he was getting into" Which he did abet not as eloquently, but Trump flat out denied it and lashed out "I never said that! arms folded across his chest. The congresswoman is lying, I have proof "
He could have expressed an apology and said that she took it wrong.
He can’t .
Not on ounce of grace or humility in that corpulent ignorant body.
JFC on a fucking buttered bagel , what a horrible human being.

9 Likes

Sadly, its quite common in the officer corps, particularly within the Air Force. We watched many generals publicly express it under Clinton, and the continue the practice under Obama. Its almost institutional at this point.

5 Likes

Its what they know. When you spend your entire career hammering nails, everything starts looking like nails, and your answer to every issue is to hammer some more.

3 Likes

Both Rep Wilson and Debbie Wasserman Schultz were there according to news reports, not sure who made the remarks Kelly referred to, so it may not have been particularly newsworthy in context (my money is on DWS, for what it is worth). Kelly conveniently did not mention that Rep Wilson pushed through the legislation to name the building after the agents.

Kelly is a perfect match for our Asshole King.

4 Likes

That article doesn’t say it was Wilson.

2 Likes

Some should tell Kelly and Trump
It can be done. Ask another Republican

Executive Mansion,
Washington, December 23, 1862.
Dear Fanny

It is with deep grief that I learn of the death of your kind and brave Father; and, especially, that it is affecting your young heart beyond what is common in such cases. In this sad world of ours, sorrow comes to all; and, to the young, it comes with bitterest agony, because it takes them unawares. The older have learned to ever expect it. I am anxious to afford some alleviation of your present distress. Perfect relief is not possible, except with time. You can not now realize that you will ever feel better. Is not this so? And yet it is a mistake. You are sure to be happy again. To know this, which is certainly true, will make you some less miserable now. I have had experience enough to know what I say; and you need only to believe it, to feel better at once. The memory of your dear Father, instead of an agony, will yet be a sad sweet feeling in your heart, of a purer and holier sort than you have known before.

Please present my kind regards to your afflicted mother.

Your sincere friend
A. Lincoln

5 Likes

Agree. A bit OT but I would love to see a reporter interview as many of the retired generals who formally endorsed Trump.

2 Likes

We don’t look down upon those of you who that haven’t served. In fact, in a way we’re a little bit sorry because you’ll have never have experienced the wonderful joy you get in your heart when you do the kinds of things our service men and women do — not for any other reason than they love this country. So just think of that.

Well I don’t feel talked down to at all

8 Likes

One might say that General Kelly knew what he was getting into, sacrificing his reputation on the altar of Rump. None of that well earned gravitas has helped the man do his job, either. And the job might well be impossible, given the source. But if anything, the shit shows are increasing in frequency and scale.

3 Likes

Fascism, sexism, and racism are intimately intertwined. Kelly’s lamentations about the former sacredness of women, his inability to name David Johnson or Myeshia Johnson, and his refusal to even acknowledge the way the family felt, are all of a piece with the Trumpian Travesty. It’s not surprising that this man pledges fealty to Trump the person, in lieu of the office of the presidency (let alone to the Constitution, where his real loyalty must, but apparently doesn’t, lie).

It’s past time to put to rest any hope that “The Generals”—allegedly sober-minded patriots putting country above their own reputations—are engaging in some honorable enterprise to restrain the rise of fascism in the White House. They are enabling it. Because they believe in it. They simply would not be there if they didn’t support this shit. They are there because their worldview comports to Trump’s.

5 Likes

True but it does say:
“U.S. Rep. Frederica S. Wilson, D-Miami, was credited with pushing naming legislation through Congress in four weeks that was signed Tuesday by President Barack Obama in time for Friday’s ceremonies.”
And claiming credit for it was exactly what Kelly accused the empty barrel of doing. Couldn’t possibly be a coincidence.

Kelly said what stunned him was a congresswoman claiming credit for obtaining funding. Wilson has denied it was her, so it likely was DWS. It is possible that Kelly intentionally is misleading folks into drawing the wrong conclusion. If so, my already low opinion of him drops further.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available