Discussion: GOP Virginia Rep.: Democratic Win In Virginia Was 'Referendum' On Trump

This election was the tightrope walk that … failed. They will have to support him full-throated or not. I’m guessing most of them will choose the latter in light of the upcoming trials and whatnot. He is already ignored on a global scale; soon he’ll be completely ignored. For his part, Gillespie was quite gracious in his concession speech … and Tom Periello was very smart, throwing 100% behind Northam.

6 Likes

“…there was an overwhelming thing that was looming large…”

Hahaha. What a great choice of words.

2 Likes

The consistent pattern for republicans: it’s the other guy’s fault.

3 Likes

The “I am not Trump” syndrome may take over at this point.

2 Likes

Seriously, this would never go down in Pyongyang.

3 Likes

okies back to replaying this song

3 Likes

I’m afraid Mr. Marshall begs to differ:

"The down-ballot results were far more telling. Democrats swept the state-wide races and ran the table in state legislative races…

This wave-election type showing was mirrored in a number of other states with Democrats making state legislative gains and ousting Republicans in various local and statewide races. Democrats were hoping for a big night and they got a significantly bigger night than most expected…

When a President is locked below 40% approval and often closer to 35% approval, his party will face a brutal and unforgiving electorate. This was a fact a decade ago and it’s a fact today. We’ve just been stunned into an unwarranted uncertainty by the fact of Trump’s victory one year ago today. The so-called congressional generic ballot is running near 10 points in the Democrats’ favor at the moment. Again, that kind of margin will produce a punishing result for the party on the short end of the stick…

Gravity still applies in the political world. Midterm elections are generally tough for the party in power. It’s a referendum on them with an opposition which usually enjoys some advantage in enthusiasm. When the President is skirting support of only one-third of an electorate and furious opposition from more than half, the results of an election are likely to be brutal…

Many Republicans in Congress would likely say, if they were candid, that they have not chosen to ally with Trump but found themselves in a Trump party and done their best to survive in that reality. They have all sown the wind and stand ready to reap the whirlwind."

Gravity still applies.

Trump is still the face of the GOP.

And Republicans in 2018 are still doomed beyond artificial, Gerrymandered pockets of deep-red crazy.

13 Likes

:grinning: :grin: :smiley: :smile:

2 Likes

There is no cause to wonder. Taylor expressed all his brave talk on CNN which makes it fake news per se in Trumpistan.

3 Likes

I prefer the term Trumptile.

7 Likes

The Democrats took 15 seats away from the GOP. (And 11 of them were captured by female candidates, replacing GOP males.) There are four more seats where the vote was so close that they have to be recounted. If two of those fall to the Democrat candidate then the Democrats will control the House in Virginia. That was a possibility that had been dismissed as “extremely unlikely” right up until the folks in VIrginia showed up at the polling stations and made it the actual result.

7 Likes

Whatever the national mood is in November 2018 Dems are still facing the fact they defend (in combination with two Independents that caucus with them) 25 Senate seats and the GOP only defends 8. A seat by seat analysis reveals a great many of the Republican Senators are in safe “Red” seats, and many of the others are not necessarily so intertwined with Trump that his reputation or failings threatens their reelection. Sooner or later the old adage “All politics are local” exerts some sway. A truly disastrous confluence of events would have to occur for Dems to gain control of the Senate. I don’t see it happening.

1 Like

Yeah, but Marshall has shown a remarkable inability to predict…just about anything with any sort of accuracy.

Is it just me? Does a GOP’er talking about being “intellectual consistent” make anyone else dizzy? I can’t make any sense out of that sentence, and the floor keeps trying to dump me off.

8 Likes

They’ll be defending their tax cuts for the rich or on their knees to their donors. Either scenario is a vision to behold.

2 Likes

I don’t buy this Trump/GOP distinction for a second. It’s the GOP voters who put Trump where he is, having decisively preferred him, after a long primary, to the others. It’s the GOP that’s intent on destroying Medicare, gutting Medicaid, hacking our democracy with gerrymandering and voter suppression, demonizing minorities and women, abolishing abortion, resisting gun ccntrol, appointing extremist and illegitimate judges to the Supreme Court, denying climate change, cutting taxes for plutocrats, decimating fiscal prudence etc etc. Trump’s success was founded on simply being explicit and thus ‘authentic’ about this program, and adding a dash of neofascist, kleptocratic authoritarianism for good measure. We have to understand that the GOP is an unAmerican, dangerous, destructive force no matter who its president might be.

8 Likes

We should start seeing more and more of this, I believe. Between the election results and the investigation, donnie is in deep water and flailing. Risky to hang on to someone of that weight and girth. Why bother?

7 Likes

hahahahahahahahahahaha That is an anachronism alright.

5 Likes

I was actually thinking they might try to jettison him before next year … especially in light of Mueller.

4 Likes

“I don’t think there’s any way you can look at it in a different way, to be honest with you, and be intellectually consistent.”

Honesty and intellectual consistency - traits not usually associated with Republicans. But, in this case, well-exhibited by Rep. Taylor (R-VA).

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available