Discussion: Frat Members Learned Racist Chant On National Cruise

Discussion for article #234771

Great leadership.

7 Likes

Cruise? I bet those Klan hoods looked weird when coupled with bathing suits.

9 Likes

Today in “water is wet”

9 Likes

Given that until recently the frat’s national website touted its origins in the antebellum South and boasted about how many of its members fought for the Confederacy and how few fought for the North, this is hardly surprising. Racism has been at the core of its identity since its beginning in Tuscaloosa, in other words.

What I do find a bit odd is the fact that the national chapter’s HQ is in Chicago, and has been for quite a while. Seems like Charleston or Biloxi or Birmingham would be a more convivial place for them. Or maybe Ft. Sumter.

21 Likes

Inconceivable! I am stunned! Absolutely gobsmacked! Shocked, shocked, I tell you. I simply cannot imagine such a thing could be true. Because we have the stern assurances of the national leadership that something something not representative something a few bad apples.

23 Likes

That’s weird. I had assumed the chant was entirely spontaneous, like how things work in musicals. They were just overcome with the desire to start singing and that’s what came out. And you can’t blame someone for a song that came from their heart. But if they learned it on a cruise, then screw them. Not unless it was a musical cruise, anyway.

14 Likes

I’m curious about the public origin of this video: was it first posted as an illustration of how horribly juvenile this group was, or was it posted as braggadocio “Look how last century stupid we can be”.

3 Likes

You know, that’s a really good question. And damned if I’ve read even a hint of an answer.

7 Likes

Steve, here’s a hint for you. Boren’s report mentions that there were about a dozen high school students on that bus. Part of the “normal recruitment process”.

6 Likes

Hey, they have to be carefully taught.

11 Likes

Do you hear that? That’s the sound of thousands of alum, quickly scraping their SAE stickers from the backs of their pick up trucks.

6 Likes

Well, if there’s a bright side in all this it’s that University of Oklahoma’s president is setting a very high bar for how exactly a university president should handle these situations. There should be no fiddle-farting around pretending it’s somehow just a few of bad apples. There should be a quick, forceful response, and a strong message that racism/hate will not be tolerated. Mr. Boren could’ve just let this whole thing die down, but he’s not. He’s coming out and personally announcing their investigative findings, and that’s just awesome. UO or UofO or whatever is very lucky to have him.

27 Likes

“While there is no indication that the chant was part of the formal
teaching of the national organization, it does appear that the chant was
widely known and informally shared amongst members on the leadership
cruise,” Boren wrote in the letter.

Leadership cruise?

8 Likes

Maybe they should be investigating Mann Act violations.

1 Like

I’ll lay odds that the wingnut Teabagging racist loons that comprise the GOP in Oklahoma are at this very moment furiously planning how they can get rid of Boren. He’s committed the unpardonable sin of taking direct action against racists, without even having the decency to apologize and walk back his criticisms and ask for forgiveness. The nerve of that man.

7 Likes

OU

3 Likes

I’m SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YOU that Fratboys are assholes.

3 Likes

Inhofe is up for re-election in '16 isn’t he? Maybe David Boren can run for that Senate seat. He’s been in the Senate before. I know he’s a blue dog Dem but that’s about the best you can hope for coming from OK, and numbers added to our forthcoming majority in the Senate are important. Plus he’s a whopping 7 years younger than Inhofe.

10 Likes

Where the hell did they get the idea it was something that was good to participate in? Weren’t they raised to be civilized?

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available