Discussion: Frat Members Learned Racist Chant On National Cruise

Rappers?

Just kidding.

Been there, done that. He had a long and influential career as a Senator - from the 70s up through the mid-nineties or whenever it was he left to become President of OU.

1 Like

There was a video of the house mother offensively singing a rap song which emerged after she denied the use of the n-word in the house. So my guess is that someone got tired of the racism.

1 Like

As if anyone believed that this didnā€™t come from the national organization. Itā€™s a feature not a bug.

3 Likes

The Hate Boat
Soon will be making another run.
The Hate Boat
Making racists of everyone!

1 Like

They didnā€™t share the ship with the ā€œNational Review Cruiseā€ crowd by any chance?

2 Likes

I think the SAE fraternity brothersā€™ racism is egregious, morally reprehensible, and has no place in contemporary discourse. Iā€™d be perfectly happy if SAE was barred from recruiting on every campus in the country (although that wonā€™t happen, because donations).

But that doesnā€™t mean that I agree with President Borenā€™s response. Why? Because I believe in free speech, even when the content of that speech sickens me and makes me ashamed to be an American. I also believe in due process, which by all accounts the students were denied. Liberals have to defend these rights, because no one else will.

There is no due process on a college campus. There are certain situations, your job or school, where you arenā€™t promised or afforded due process. Also, these guys were on video and admitted to having participated. What more is there to do? Should they have had a trial? Free speech is not at issue here. You have a right to say whatever you damn well please and without fear of reprisal from the government, but there is no right to say as you please without fear of reprisal from your school or your job or the public. Free speech isnā€™t the right to run around offending people without consequences, itā€™s the right to run around offending people without consequences from the government. Thereā€™s a big difference.

13 Likes

More likely Beamers. These guys are found in high positions in business and government throughout the Southeast.

Chris Hayes or Rachel Maddow had a segment last night where SAE acronym is for Sexual Assault Expected. Back in my day we called them the ā€œSnAkEā€ house.

Yeah, I called this weeks ago. The chant wasnā€™t a new thing and it wasnā€™t something that the OU chapter made up on its own. Time to shine a light into the closet and see what scurries out.

1 Like

Oh, geezā€¦heā€™s truly been a champ on this, and lord knows replacing Inhofe with any Dem would be ecstasy-inducing; but I canā€™t help remembering what a thoroughgoing pain in the ass he was in the Senate in the '90s. Lawrence Oā€™Donnell once said he would withhold his vote on Dem initiatives and when asked what itā€™d take to get him, heā€™d literally say, ā€œI need to be in the center.ā€ He literally, openly calibrated his positions to be precisely between wherever the Dem and GOP positions were at any given moment. Of course, too many Dems have done that for too long, which is how weā€™ve been dragged so far right all this time; but no Dem was more explicitly troublesome for his caucus. I assume itā€™s a moot issue anyway, since I doubt heā€™d to go back even if he thought Oklahoma were still capable of pulling the ā€œDā€ lever for anyone, so I wonā€™t have to endure the indigestion Iā€™d get from rooting for him to win. Better he stay in a position where we can admire him for being a mensch. Which he certainly has been on this.
[Woah, sorry for the rant; ā€œSenator Borenā€ is sort of a ā€œslowly I turnā€ trigger for meā€¦]

4 Likes

Individual students perhaps ā€“ the organization itself, however, was openly stating an intent to discriminate (or even commit acts of violence). So I think he absolutely had the right to withdraw university recognition of the organization.

This is a state institution. Private colleges can get away with a lot more ā€œrulesā€ that challenge notions of fairness. But state schools are usually held to a much higher standard in taking disciplinary or enforcement actions against students. People who have threatened to judicially challenge expulsion under UVaā€™s honor code often get reinstated in order for the school to avoid a decision on the merits ā€“ which tells you how much confidence they have about it being upheld if really challenged.

1 Like

I absolutely refuse to believe they learned it on a national cruise. This goes against the values and ethics they stand for. They told us so!

1 Like

Well, then those guys are welcome to challenge their expulsion in a court of law. Not knowing what the honor code or university rules are or what they entail, I imagine these guys violated any of a number of university rules.

What percentage of SAE members are African-American? Iā€™ve not seen any reporting on this. Anybody know?

Anyone surprised?

I saw the figure reported somewhere earlier today - nationally, 3% African American, 20% non-white overall. Which is higher than I expected.

Interestingly, the founder of the OU chapter in its present incarnation (it had been shut down in the late 80ā€™s after a hazing death I think) is Indian-American. His take on this is worth reading every word.
But here is a taste:

I could say that the actions of a few are impacting the whole. But, letā€™s not kid ourselves. Racism, elitism, hazing, these all seem to be more systemic than localized; and, the culture needs to change, it needs to be overhauled, comprehensibly, and not just swept under the rugā€¦for the few years following 1995, the Oklahoma Kappa chapter of SAE, at the University of Oklahoma, was a solid house, that welcomed men of all races, ethnicities, etcā€¦But, that house of the 90s no longer exists, and apparently has not existed for many years. That being said, I would rather see the whole thing gone than have to ever be associated with bigots!

4 Likes

Or Andersonville.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available