Discussion: Elizabeth Warren Says She's 'Troubled' By Reports Of Obama's $400K Speaking Fee

Poor judgment on Obama’s part. If he wants to be a progressive voice, this is not the way to do it.

1 Like

Well, this 51-year old (poor) white male says to President Obama, “You go, dude! Good on you!” I am happy that someone with Barack Obama’s good, solid values and knowledge of the world will be speaking to the folks at Cantor Fitzgerald – and at their asking and he’s being paid so well.

6 Likes

You seem to live up to your screenname today…

I am curious: Do you know, how the fee will be spend ?

Pres. Obama had a pretty tough job over 8 years and had to stand for a lot of abuse, I don’t envy him his fee in any way.

I may be a little bit dismayed, if he spends the fee on 2 Ferraris, to match His and Hers favourite colours, but I hope he will spend the money in a non-frivolous way.

I’ve read most of this thread, I can say that I do hear what you’re saying – and you’ve made some very good points. That said, I honestly trust President Obama to stay true to the values he’s held for so long no matter his bank account balance. I say this as someone who didn’t really know the man who’d won the presidential nomination back in 2008, but fully go behind him … and watched him over the next eight years. I felt we were in such good hands (as far as the White House was concerned). Despite all the garbage, lies and obstruction by the Republicans, President Obama held his own, did right by us and did not stop fighting for what was right. I’d be inclined to add BHO to that list of yours.

5 Likes

“If you can’t eat their food, drink their booze, screw their women, take their money and then vote against them you’ve got no business being up here.”

Jesse M. Unruh

1 Like

You don’t get to decide what he needs.

2 Likes

I’m afraid I do. I know greed when I see it.

Stop rationalizing.

Card Check could have been passed when they had majorities in the House and Senate with Obama as president, but was not.

Obama could have enforced anti-monopoly laws, but did not.

Obama could have prosecuted the people who stole billions from the American people and put them in jail at least as long as someone who had a baggie of pot in their pocket, but did not.

Those are just three small examples of things that would have made a huge difference, the first two making real differences in people’s lives and the last giving notice that corporate crime is at least as bad as petty crime.

There are plenty more examples of what the Dems could have done in their two years between 2008 and 2010 when they had majorities – and for about eight months a filibuster proof majority in the Senate – and while they had the White House for eight years but chose not to. The two best things they did in that time were the stimulus and the ACA. The former was largely tax cuts and breaks for corporations with little help for middle and working class folks beyond extending unemployment insurance, and the latter was best known for forcing people to buy insurance they didn’t want (a failure of marketing). Both of these major accomplishments would have been considered conservative Republican solutions in 1990 (ACA came from Heritage Foundation), not Democratic or progressive.

The reason the “masochist class” is willing to vote against their interests is because they don’t think either side is working for their interests, so why not vote for the one that strokes their biases? As long as neither side is really gonna help, why not vote for the ones that are going to screw the dark people they hate?

2 Likes

I really don’t see what the big deal is…President Obama has no power as a public official and if some bank wants to pay him 400K for a speech I say more power to him.

Senator Warren is entitled to her opinion but I don’t get why she finds this so “troubling.” He is not doing anything illegal, immoral or unethical.
Right now there is a split in the party and while the media seems to be giving the more extreme voices like Sen. Warren and Sen. Sanders and Congresswoman Maxine Waters bigger platforms I hope that through it all more viable choices for 2020 like Senator Manchin or Governor McCauliffe are also given time as well as they are the true future of the party in my opinion.

3 Likes

That is nonsense. Had Obama prosecuted the bankers, the public would have been behind him in huge numbers. He would have gained political capital, not lost it. He would have sent a message. Instead, it was business as usual. He should have prosecuted the crooks. Instead he paid them off and let them go. Now he is getting his payoff.

In regards to his book, how many copies do you think it has to sell just to pay the author? Do the math, it doesn’t add up. The book deal is another part of the payback.

1 Like

We all know Obama, like the Clinton’s, is a Republican at heart…a corporate shill and sell out. That’s why so many in the middle class and working poor went for Trump.

2 Likes

This type of thinking is just insane. NOBODY FORCED HIM TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT! TWICE!

But I guess you’re saying that it was such a hard job and people called him names and hurt his fee-fees that he deserves to collect his bribes. Okay then.

You are very pure ! I admire that ! And you didn’t address my point about what the money goes to…

1 Like

A bribe is a bribe. It is completely irrelevant how a politician spends it.

This is money that is being funneled back to Obama after being stolen from the taxpayers to bail out the criminal bankers. It is money that was stolen from homeowners who had their houses illegally foreclosed.

It is blood money, and Obama should be ashamed for taking it. But he’s not, of course.

You keep using the word ‘bribe’, are you sure, you know what it means ?

5 Likes

It doesn’t matter if the public’s behind the efforts to prosecute banksters. They’ve got the money and the influence, and they would have beat the rap. Anyway, that’s my conclusion. I’m glad Obama focused on rejuvenating our economy, health care and saving jobs instead of throwing everything down the bankster revenge rabbit hole. I still hate those sons of bitches and hope for justice, but given their growing international influence, it may never happen. Life is unfair.

People are buying Obama’s books because he’s very popular. Your convoluted attempt to justify your suspicions are beginning to sound paranoid. You don’t think he’s inspired millions? OK, I just think you’re operating at some strange level of resentment instead of reality.

3 Likes

Close your eyes. He’s not Jesus FFS.

Trump is Obama’s fault, because Obama’s so conservative and trump is so liberal. :confused:

I know you’re not a trumpster, but don’t you see how you’re echoing their misguided scapegoating?

Russian hacking and MSM collusion had nothing to do with the outcome of the election? All right then.

Most Democrats have moved to the right since Reagan. It’s the only way to get elected president in the last few decades. No, Bernie is neither a Democrat nor electable as president. Please, don’t try to re-litigate that one.

4 Likes

He’s not allowed to have poor judgment? He already said that he’s not running for office again. So I’m sure he doesn’t care what you hunk. Gonna jump in a time machine and take your vote back? If so make a quick stop at 2016.

What can he give them for it? He has no executive power. Take a civics class. And the lynching continues.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available