Discussion: Elizabeth Warren Says She's 'Troubled' By Reports Of Obama's $400K Speaking Fee

I agree, and I think its a mistake to berate him for this.

2 Likes

Please go bite someone else.

Exactly. What is Warren implying? That Obama, after one speech, has become a toady of Wall Street? Sheā€™s out hawking her book, which is fine, but I think her words are a tad hypocritical when sheā€™s out there hustling for money, obviously to influence opinions, and then haughtily admonishes Obama.

We all admire your tenacity, but please Liz, aim it at the enemy.

4 Likes

So you think only bankers bought Obamaā€™s books?

Youā€™re trying too hard to make a point that doesnā€™t exist. I get that youā€™re angry about how Wall Street robbed us and nearly destroyed the global economy, and got away with it. Everybody on this site would love to see them all behind bars for life. But if Obama had spent his term trying to prosecute banksters, he would have wasted his entire political capital on a hopeless task. That fight would absorb every bit of oxygen in Washington and the rich guys would win. Then Obama would have been booted out of office and weā€™d still be in a recession.

He had to choose between resurrecting the economy and chasing the crooks. A terrible choice, but necessary. Trying to paint this as a quid pro quo is a gross misstatement and oversimplification of what actually happened. But anger is potent. Spend your energy that way if it makes you happy. I happen to heartily disagree with your analysis.

9 Likes

Iā€™m not sure why people are surprised or have their hair on fire about this. Obama always was a DLC ā€œcorporatistā€ Democrat. Letā€™s not forget that he appointed Mary Jo White the SEC who then proceeded to make that agency toothless where Wall Street is concerned. So, heā€™s making a speech and getting paid. At least he isnā€™t using like our current president and his family who are using their office to line fill their pockets with money while theyā€™re in office.

Yeah yeah. Weā€™ve heard it all before. Obama she s a republican corporatist. Fuck off and fuck Warren. Sheā€™s jealous. Her book isnā€™t doing very well. At least Obsma is worth $400k and more and reasonable wouldnā€™t be surprised if he does good with the money. Democrats will never learn. They love to eat their own

3 Likes

Sheā€™s jealous. Her book is a flop

1 Like

Me too Shirley. Fuck her

1 Like

Trolls gotta troll.

Really, we all know hamlet never has anything original or interesting to say. Yā€™all can engage if you want, of course, but I find it much more productive to just scroll on by.

5 Likes

Amen my dear Plucky

2 Likes

Such tired old bullshit. But no surprise coming from you

2 Likes

Heā€™s speaking before Cantor Fitzgeraldā€“they lost 68% of their people in 9/11. Do you know what heā€™s going to say? Heā€™s a millionaire do you know what heā€™s going to do with the money? After 8 years of emasculation by white ā€œliberalsā€ who were supposed to have his back yaā€™ll are still at it.

Now if he decides to give away the money, no one will consider that itā€™s because the Obamas have always given liberally. White liberals will congratulate themselves and believe that a man who has millions didnā€™t keep $400,000 because of your self-important outrage. Barack Obama is as free as any white person and has a right to make his choices.

As for Warren and any other Democrat who think the road to the White House goes through bashing him, they have ended their run before it begins. Senator Warren is no longer viable to me. She should spend her time on the current president. Just because the inept trumpettes try to make the former president a whipping boy, it disgusts me that so-called liberals and progressives are joining in this high-tech lynching.

This is not legitimate criticism; itā€™s character assassinationā€“ergo lynching. STOP IT.

8 Likes

Close your eyes after reading my longer post below

What can the Democrats do in Congress without a majority? All they talk is the Middle Class. Gerrymandering prevents them from getting control even when they have the most total votes. They canā€™t deliver so they are blamed and the masochist class elects Republicans whose aim is to destroy them. That needs to be laid at the feet of those voters. They showed they could turn in 2008 and 2012, but just like in 2000 they decided oh letā€™s change horses, how bad can it be? And there you have it.

1 Like

Ummm . . . heā€™s not part of ā€œthis placeā€ anymore?

Are you fucking kidding me? This is the man who gave us the PPACA and the Consumer Financial Protection Agency. His time in office is done and he can damn sure capitalize on his time in office. This conference is about healthcare so I imagine he will speak about the importance of the PPACA and how it is just a step in rebuilding the American Healthcare industries many, many problems. This is a perfect venue for him to address the plutocrats with his expertise and experience in beginning the process of addressing the problems that afflict 20% of the American economy. If he gets paid handsomely for this speech then so be it. He worked all day everyday he was in office and doesnā€™t deserve this bullshit scolding from Warren, Sanders, you or any other concern trolls.

7 Likes

Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Humane, egalitarian? Interned the Japanese. Refused to support anti-lynching legislation. Left black people out of Social Security. Left it to Harry Truman to desegregate the military.

So, are you going to ask black voters to leave the Democratic Party or just hope that if you emphasize a return to the whites only populism of the Roosevelt era of ā€œhumane, egalitarianā€ governance that theyā€™ll get the message and leave on their own?

5 Likes

o_O

My snark-o-meter has just blown a gasket.

Iā€™m troubled by the countless ways men benefit from capitalist patriarchy. Judging by your username and avatar, that includes you.

:clap: :clap: Unadulterated, high-minded pablum.

Obamaā€™s enemyā€™s been waiting in the wings for this development - What to do, post presidential career? The highest pinnacle of power and ambition.

Unfortunately for you, the nonsense screedā€™s been adequately countered with hefty, thoughtful responses on this TPM post.

My fav. is the one, stating Kim Kardashian gets that much money for showing up at a party - Ha!

3 Likes

If heā€™s anything like the archangel Michael on ā€˜Supernatural,ā€™ I say bring him on! Heā€™s cute!!

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available