Discussion: Dems: Trump Officials Worked With Activists To Target State Dept. Career Staff

I think your comment is fair but until they DON’T do what you are suggesting when they DO have the opportunity - i.e., are the majority party - is does get exasperating to hear what they “should” do. We all know … and hope.

8 Likes

From the very beginning of this entire disaster. From the very beginning.

Andrew Prokop: Your main culprit for Trump’s rise is the Republican Party, and Republican leaders specifically. Can you walk me through how you think the party got here?

Norm Ornstein: Back in 1978, when I first came to AEI, Tom Mann and I set up a series of small, off the record dinners with some new members of Congress. And one of them, Newt Gingrich, stood out right away. As a brand new member of the House, he had a full-blown theory of how Republicans could break out of their seemingly permanent minority, and build a majority.

And over the next 16 years, he put that plan into action. He delegitimized the Congress and the Democratic leadership, convincing people that they were arrogant and corrupt and that the process was so bad that anything would be better than this. He tribalized the political process. He went out and recruited the candidates, and gave them the language to use about how disgusting and despicable and horrible and immoral and unpatriotic the Democrats were. That swept in the Republican majority in 1994.

The problem is that all the people he recruited to come in really believed that shit. They all came in believing that Washington was a cesspool. So what followed has been a very deliberate attempt to blow up and delegitimize government, not just the president but the actions of government itself in Washington.

22 Likes

Trump Officials - May they burn in hell!

3 Likes

You are aware that Democrats are now in the minority and cannot do a single one of those things, right now, at this point, right?

Because I believe the words “right now, at this point” were not ambiguous as to the point in time being specified.

I also think you are egregiously misconstruing and misapplying Michelle’s words there.

10 Likes

The biggest infiltration ever accomplished by an anti-American element is Trump being elected president. Never has such an unqualified, unstable, demonstrably corrupt person held the reins of power. Add to that his allegiance to Russian interests and we can all see where the “clean up” needs to start: The Oval Office.

Mr. Mueller, please turn out the WH lights when your clean up is done. Thanks for your service to your country.

8 Likes

OMG OMG OMG! Oh Nelly, fetch my Obama-era MSM smelling salts and fainting couch! Surely these two obvious radical leftists who spent their careers embedded in what used to be known as center right think tanks can’t be suggesting both sides are equally at fault! They must be banished from the Sunday shows, the book they wrote about this years ago embargoed and forced into obscurity! Also, too, Antifa and political correctness on campus and, um, IRS!

2 Likes

It’s weird how something can be shocking yet unsurprising. But that’s where we are.

18 Likes

That was well-expressed: shocking yet unsurprising. That’s just where we are

6 Likes

He’s like those putrid canned hams.

3 Likes

Remember Monica Goodling?

8 Likes

Some days, being a lawyer makes your tolerance for strawman arguments higher through sheer repetitive exposure, some days it just makes you more pissed off than usual.

15 Likes

Trump: This is to be expected; We all hate the government. Its too powerful.

Daily.

3 Likes

I wonder how much Russia pays Gingrich to destroy our government? Please look into HIS finances!!

8 Likes

Aren’t you referring to Newt’s infamous Contract on America?

5 Likes

You mean concentrated Truth, Fact and Justice? I understand it is a powerful remover of clogs, blemishes and those nasty stinky stains.

I am of the view by the way, if they screw over McCabe, they will release a shit storm upon themselves. There is just that hovering feeling to everything going down.

2 Likes

One more reason to make sure we flip one of the two houses at least this Fall.

2 Likes

This is interesting, but the gutting of State was well under way 11 months ago – and there was no public outcry. Maybe the purge seemed so crazy that we didn’t believe it, but not much outrage. Other diplomats warned us, but crickets. Even today, the story is not playing as well as Trump’s lying to Justin Trudeau.

4 Likes

I was thinking more in terms of its use as a cockroach prophylactic. Maybe if they just spread enough of it around DC, Gingrich would leave.

3 Likes

Oh Lord you are another one. And what are they supposed to do, keep there mouth shut and act like nothing is going on? Would you be aware of it they didn’t speak out? Is what the GOP doing illegal?

It Is Easy to bitch about what someone else is doing or not doing. The only solutipn is to vote these guys out and the only purpose of this memo is to make you aware so that you might take it into consideration when you vote or write to your rep, or talk with your neighbor.

And your little tantrum solved what?

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available