Discussion: Defending Senate Repeal Effort, Trump Trashes Obamacare

Forget abstract numbers and statistics – make it personal.

This…

Every good rabbi I ever heard began with the phrase, “Let me tell you a story…”

Americans need stories, narratives, personalities.

Make them feel, make them cry, make them empathize.

Any chance of resisting this inhuman monstrosity lies in breaking through to people’s humanity.

Emotion wins a political debate…Every. Single. Time.

10 Likes

[quote=“ncsteve, post:53, topic:58031, full:true”]
I really hate the part where people no longer ridicule the use of Twitter to discuss important and complex policy issues. Not even nonplussed. Just dive in and accept it as a thing that’s normal and appropriate.
[/quote]Clicking on a little heart is not necessarily the optimum or most appropriate way to express agreement with someone’s idea, point or opinion; but I thought quite highly of the point you made about tweets - so I clicked.

2 Likes

It does irasdad and we’ve used it - the Khans are a perfect example of the Democrats using emotion.

4 Likes

Watched that last night and I had tears in my eyes. I posted a comment having watched it last night as well. So glad you found the video clip of it, for those that missed it.

3 Likes

I watched this on The Last Word, so between the unbearable sadness and other upsets in my life, the day ended badly. But not as badly as Karen Clay’s and Mike’s end.

@srfromgr

There’s a long comment from son Mike here. It’s crass to talk about attack ads but we all need to hear his thoughts.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ari-melber-breaks-down-in-tears-while-talking-medicaid-cuts-with-family-impacted-by-disability/

3 Likes

From that Times article: “[Trump] falsely claimed the United States is ‘the highest-taxed nation in the world.’”

They forgot to add what Trump said next: “Which means bubkes to me since I don’t pay taxes!”

2 Likes

That particular lie really pisses me off.

We don’t pay anything close to the taxes they pay in Europe. Not even close.

3 Likes

Trump and Republicans Are Shit Heads

Man, HTML is exhausting.

5 Likes

They came to eat it up and he fed them.

@ncsteve

people no longer ridicule the use of Twitter

I who have always read long form reporting in newspapers and magazines and come away fully informed find I do this same thing, and I don’t like myself for it.

The fact check of the thing’s lie.

In 2015, the United States ranked in the middle or near the bottom compared among 35 advanced economies in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development by the typical metrics: No. 28 for total tax revenue as a percentage of gross domestic product, No. 22 for corporate tax revenue as a percentage of G.D.P. and No. 13 for tax revenue per capita.

@navamske

5 Likes

It’s the most ridiculous damn lie; it only works because his supporters don’t know the difference and don’t care. Except of course for the rich ones - they do know that.

2 Likes

He also told the gullibles something to make it sound like it was his brainstorm but in fact it’s been place for 20 years. Similar to the discovery of “priming the pump” and taking credit for it.

He said he would bar immigrants from receiving welfare benefits for five years, but they already are prohibited.

The requirements sought by Mr. Trump have largely been in place for two decades since the passage of welfare reform or the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996.

@navamske

2 Likes

Yeah he does that a lot. sigh

My current fantasy is that in 2018 the voters turn out enough GOP members in both the House and Senate to flip the majorities. And within a week of being installed the new majority in the House impeaches the walking orange shitgibbon and then the Senate convicts him. Upon leaving office he is indicted by Mueller and in the end his disgrace is capped by a video clip of him cuffed and frog marched to jail.

Hey… a guy can dream, can’t he?

6 Likes

I recall this crappy excuse for an argument that Obama lied is still the best they can do. It got an immense amount of coverage at the time–and not just Fox, recall Chucktodd feeling the need to extract contrition from the President–but it’s still trotted out like some newly polished turd. Our ruler thinks in fox news talking points.

1 Like

Hey sucker!

Obama cared about the people he led!

This TrumpRyan ACHA :poop: is just :poop: no matter how you put it!

ACHA will also turn States into DEATH PANELS!!!

Hell my state is already a death panel. They’re killing women. They closed all the women’s health care clinics except 2 or 3 for the whole state of Texas, which takes two days to cross. The maternal mortality rate is now the highest in the country.

2 Likes

[quote=“corncaucus2008, post:75, topic:58031”]
I recall this crappy excuse for an argument that Obama lied is still the best they can do
[/quote]Well, that one line spoken by Obama of course proves the entire Affordable Care Act to be a lie, a terrible disaster, a complete failure, job-killing, lives-destroying, … on and on. Except, it’s not any of those things - quite the opposite (I know I’m not saying anything that everyone here doesn’t already know).

1 Like

How about Lose your doctor lose your plan?

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. It is one of the most powerful interviews I have ever seen. It is personal, dignified, and politically effective . . . . I don’t see how any Republican could respond to it by defending their proposed healthcare plan. It did make me cry but, on another level, it made me hopeful. That this young man who faces such disabilities could still talk about life and living in a positive way gave me hope for the future of mankind.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available