Yellen Warns McCarthy That Her Early Estimate For US Running Out Of Money Is Looking Pretty Accurate

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen sent a renewed warning to House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) and other congressional leaders on Monday, emphasizing that the U.S. will likely default on its debts in just 10 days unless Congress acts.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1458389
1 Like

Qevin?

Oh, and if I’m Frist this morning:
Sandcat1_CincinnatiZoo

26 Likes

Yellen warns McCarthy…
Film at 10:00
Not that Kev cares

12 Likes

I sincerely believe that Qevin is that stupid that he believes, by defaulting, he’s going to go down in history as a hero.

The reality could not be farther from the truth.

I just don’t think he knows or cares about the repercussions of his stupidity, not just for the US, but for the world.

And his name is going to be all over it. Not the Horse Feather Caucus. Not Biden. But Qevin’s. No matter how anyone tries to spin this.

33 Likes

Joe has ever so subtly painted Qev into the corner.

18 Likes

Qevin apparently believes folks lionize those who do them immeasurable harm.
Much as he’s never thought less of himself after enduring the repeated humiliations of his failed nominations for Speaker,

15 Likes

Kevin can’t do anything as he’s selfish enough to try and keep the Speakership, and even if he did risk giving it up, he still won’t get the R votes he needs and whoever takes the gavel won’t be any better. The blame landing on Kevin & Freedumb caucus from the fire and ashes of the national and global economies is a pretty small consolation prize.
We’ll probably end up with 14th amendment solution.

19 Likes

We will have to wait and see what Empty Greene and Matt Gaetz want. Qevin is a figurehead. The Defeated Former (Twice-Impeached) president* is going to go through some things.

13 Likes

Yellen reverses the tables, telling the kidnappers time is running out. Conservatives are perfectly capable of own goals, and Brexit proves it. If Kev pushes it to September he could very well wipe out 6% of US GDP, which makes him about twice as bad as the Covid Pandemic.

22 Likes

Explaining reality to a vacant and essentially powerless nitwit is …

13 Likes

McCarthy is being rope-a-doped. Biden has been through this exact same scenario before. Twice shy, certainly. Says a lot that the markets aren’t too antsy either.

The GOP have lost respect from the money people. Always look powerful is their mantra.

15 Likes

Someone will of necessity hafta fall on their sword to get us out of the looming economic tragedy upon the world. It’s not gonna be Biden.

seppuku

11 Likes

The cultism is so strong that we can’t even pick off 10-15 republicans to come to their senses to stop this. Frightening times.

13 Likes

Dear Speaker McQarthy,

With the additional data collected since my last letter, the Department of the Treasury’s previous estimate of June 1, 2023 is increasingly accurate.

Please shit or get off the pot.

Sincerely,

Janet Yellen

16 Likes

Why Trump Wants U.S. to Default on Debt - The Bulwark
Trump urged Republicans to allow a default “unless they get everything they want. Do not fold!!!”

Lest you have any doubt, the three exclamation points are Trump’s. You could be excused for thinking he wants a default. He loves chaos.

But he also has a purely self-serving reason to seek an economic catastrophe. You don’t need to be a stable genius to know that a bad economy typically hurts the incumbent in a presidential race. And Trump is desperate to get the immunity from prosecution that being elected president would provide him. He’s terrified of what’s coming from Special Counsel Jack Smith. So he’ll apparently nuke the world economy to protect himself.

Trump’s Truth Social post on Friday was sending them a message. He might as well have written, I’ll come after you if you vote to raise the debt ceiling .

21 Likes

Oh look. Folks on the Hill think McCarthy has an end game.

12 Likes

Thursday is the last scheduled “business day” for the House to act according to their published calendar before “Doomsday”.
I would like to add that the House should have their pay reduced by 2/3rds (for republicans) and half (for democrats) due to this bullshit hostage business. They need to feel the sting of stupidity

5 Likes

Assuming all Dems in the House vote for a clean bill through a discharge petition, then we only need 5 R’s to cross the aisle.

That’s the nightmare Kevin is dealing with. He’s being pushed by the Freedom Caucus, but those are only around 40 members out of 222 Republicans in the House. We only need 5 who are in swing districts that voted for Biden, and are nervous about reelection, to avert disaster.

In the Senate, Manchin will be a roadblock but we probably have enough votes for a clean bill without him. As long as Feinstein is able to push the yes button…

11 Likes

Handcuff Manchin to his desk
The only member of the House or Senate I hold not responsible for this economic madness is Feinstein because she hasn’t been around. CUT THEIR PAY!!!

2 Likes

How you can prepare for a debt default | Money news | channel3000.com

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available