Wyden Presses DOJ For Evidence Of Trump Meddling Described In Bolton Manuscript | Talking Points Memo

Attorney General Bill Barr has some explaining to do.

That’s according to Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR), who on Monday pressed the attorney general to share what he knows about President Donald Trump’s alleged attempts to intervene in a federal case against a Turkish bank accused of sanctions violations.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1288664

Anyone else notice the ad for Turkish airlines last night?

17 Likes

C“ (The DOJ has said the Times’ report [mischaracterizes] (https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/doj-denies-bolton-and-barr-discussed-trumps-personal-favors-to-autocratic-leaders) the conversation.”

That’s not a denial. Show us how you think it was “ mischaracterized.” We can see you, DoJ and we don’t trust you.

33 Likes

Of course. Sanctions aren’t a matter or policy or law. They’re simply another means for Trump to get leverage over some country to get something personally beneficial out of them.

25 Likes

Seems Wyden isn’t aware that “when the President does it, it’s not illegal.” /s

20 Likes

Barr will just say everything Wyden wants is protected by executive privilege, see you in court.

14 Likes

I think it’s cute how some people are still asking questions of the Treason Party’s dear leader and hoping for answers that reflect something resembling reality.

16 Likes

That’s after simply ignoring the letter and not giving any reply for as long as possible.

15 Likes

Something I saw elsewhere that seemed intriguing. Given all the evidence that has been coming out and no witnesses called can Adam Schiff ask Roberts to declare a mistrial?

7 Likes

Yeah, Dems have to file suit to even get an answer to their requests, before having to then file suit in response to those answers.

Sort of a variation on “We’d tell you, but then we’d have to kill you.”

7 Likes

That’s just what I thought; it’s very quaint. Back in the day when the GOP paid attention to laws. However, I say let them go hog wild now. Have at it!

5 Likes

If there wasn’t a valid trial, how can there be a mistrial? (P.S. I am being extremely snarky and take your point completely!)

4 Likes

If that’s a quote from Wyden’s letter, he’s given Barr instructions on exactly how to lie, should answering the question become necessary. trump doesn’t instruct people to do things. He tells them he’d like to do something, or that it would make him happy, or that it would be a good idea, or that he wants a favor.

8 Likes

Wyden: “Did President Trump, or did anyone at his direction, ever instruct you to take any action with regard to Halkbank, or any co-conspirators such as Reza Zarrab?”

Barr: (Eats Klatooine paddy frog, and belches)

31 Likes

If Trump says
“I think it would be in the best interest of the country if all of the evidence was now destroyed - and that way it all get put behind us and we stop discussing “GUILT” and crap like that.”
The GOP would unanimously endorse it .

9 Likes

What good is it to be President if I can’t help out a friend now and then? You know Trump simply foes not understand laws and norms of official conduct.

6 Likes

I am not sure the value of another carefully parsed statement by Ol Billy Barr.

That said, it is a fun to play Columbo with the “Oh, one more thing Mr. Barr, what do you know about…?”. There are just endless reams of follow up.

8 Likes

Maybe we’re the ones that do not understand what the norms are.

3 Likes

11 Likes

Exactly. The statement is designed to leave us with the impression that the situation is not as bad as it seems. But they offer no evidence to the contrary, leaving it entirely plausible that the reality is much worse than what was reported.

14 Likes