Witnesses Blow Up Sondland, Volker: Confirm Biden-Burisma Link

Thursday’s witnesses thoroughly undermined EU Ambassador Gordon Sondland and former Special Envoy for the Ukraine Kurt Volker’s repeated insistence that they didn’t realize investigating Burisma was code for investigating the Bidens.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1264350

They haven’t blown up anything. Nobody’s watching, nobody’s listening and the Dems aren’t messaging effectively. All of this is more like throwing those little paper bang-snap thingies at the GOP’s feet while they make a giant concerted effort throughout the intertubes and social media to make this all about the Bidens’ alleged corruption and the DNC and Ukraine conspiring to screw with Trump’s campaign in 2016. Guess which message is winning while we gloat in our echo chamber over intellectual point scoring during the hearings. Guess.

3 Likes

Words…they just aren’t any for what we’re seeing from the GOPutin side of the House.

4 Likes

I do find it interesting how little…coordination there has been between these mooks.

Unless they think the outcome doesn’t matter at all and they’ll be safe no matter what.

3 Likes

In other words to not link Burisma to the Bidens meant that Volker and Sondland had to be willfully ignorant. Nobody believes either one of them.

24 Likes

What I would suggest that the Dems in the House do now is to bow and accept our thanks for a job Well Done…

What “satisfies” is a relative thing.

If we are talking about a collection of people weak and distracted enough to be bowled over by the fact that the GOP Cult (GOP Congress, FOX, Trump voters) is not going to roll over and say “uncle”, then the Dems haven’t delivered.

Otherwise, they HAVE.

7 Likes

I believe Dr Hill’s opening statement blew a few feet off the tops of Mt Nunes and Mt Jordan this morning. Not that there was mush up there to begin with mind you.

As for the Democrats…they’re the nice guys now aren’t they pilgrim?

And Mr Castor hopes they had a nice sandwich for lunch. Perhaps some boeuf from Devin Nunes’ Cow?

21 Likes

I assume the mooks are not Democrats?

2 Likes

No, the witnesses. Testifiers. Whatever the correct term is.

1 Like

My understanding is Hill sounded a clarion warning that the Russians are using this Ukraine mess to threaten America and our democracy. The contrast between her testimony and the cow man mouthing the Russian misinformation was jarring.

The evidence is undeniable. Trump has been easily manipulated by Russia. That weakness is a clear and present danger to the Republic and is the real reason he should be impeached and removed. We can’t risk another year.

31 Likes

Shocked! Shocked I tell you, that there would be gambling, no I mean a link between the investigation and Biden.

What Sondland and Volker want to achieve is some form of plausible deniability, it doesn’t have to be believable just plausible.

5 Likes

I think they simply laughed at it, considered it a giant nothingburger and determined they could just go right on ahead with the strategy of beating their conspiracy drum for Faux News, Breitbart, Limbaugh, Hannity, Carlson, et al., soundbites and for polluting Facebook, Twitter and the rest of the internet with a concerted, firehose deluge of spin-propaganda to, as always, successfully control the narrative while the Dems sit around intellectualizing and believing their comforting fairy tale that right actions, truth and trying not to be partisan will eventually win the day.

Again, support for all of this is WANING…right in the middle of the “damning” “explosive” hearings that everyone demanded because they would, all by themselves, magically win over the public.

3 Likes

You might have put your finger on what Republicans believe, but I am not sure that belief is going to be justified.

What do you mean by “all of this?” The impeachment inquiry? I think the American people have heard all they need to hear about this mess, and they don’t like the Republicans role in it one little bit.

11 Likes

All true however I don’t think it’s converting any voters to their position. Hard to believe it’s eroding their base much either.

I admire and respect Adam Schiff but he is the prototype of an elite that gets tRUMP supporters riled up and motivated. Smart, soft spoken, unflappable and a Californian. All very bad in their eyes. To them he’s Goldstein from Orwell’s 1984. They’ll stop whatever they’re doing to scream at the TV when he’s on.

I expect impeachment will die in the Senate and then we’ll have to endure another misinformation campaign all the way through 11.3.2020. Perhaps the good to come might be planting landmines in the path that looming campaign?

3 Likes

Oh there was and remains not much but mush up there

3 Likes

Nunes is certainly speaking much softer today, did he step on his dick yesterday?

1 Like

Go away Troll.

I was just in a restaurant where I overheard 3 elderly white guys talking about the Impeachment Inquiry and how it made Trump look like “a guilty SOB” and how the Republicans defending him looked like “a pathetic bunch of screaming monkeys”.
All 3 agreed that Trump was Toast and then they moved on to talking about the Democratic Debates and how Biden “really stepped in it” and how good Buttigieg came across.
Yesterday I overheard 2 older white women complaining about how the Inquiry was preempting their soaps, but that it was “just like the Nixon hearings” and probably too important to skip.

So people ARE LISTENING and all you have to do is watch news other than FOX PrimeTime to see that.

21 Likes

SOMEBODY has to tell the truth and then let the chips fall. At least Democrats aren’t accepting the bullshit unchallenged.

7 Likes

O/T
ETTD

And it features newly uncovered evidence — an email — seen by many as a smoking gun, much like the now-famous call that touched off the widening impeachment inquiry into Trump senior.

Those behind the effort say Murphy conspired with an official for Trump’s 2020 reelection campaign to bring Donald Trump Jr. and Trump campaign adviser Kimberly Guilfoyle to campus for speeches on Oct. 10.

Questions have been raised about the legality of the visit, as Murphy agreed to pay the pair $50,000 in publicly funded student activity fees and the law says public funds cannot be used to support political campaigns.

10 Likes

So the Amigos are going for the ‘I was unqualified’ defense. Classic.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available