Will A Storm Of AI-Generated Misinfo Flood The 2024 Election? A Few Dems Seek To Get Ahead Of It

Orwell predicted all this. He watched the Soviets and Nazis and what they did to justify their evils to the masses. They did it with film, radio and print.
AI is just another tool to do what humans have done for the forces of evil for generations.

6 Likes

Look, would you rather lie in the sun on a comfy pillow and have a giant cat pet you and talk to you condescendingly on the planet Felix, or work in the ore mines for your robot overlords on what the Republicans left of Earth?

4 Likes

I am a tiny bit concerned about the litter box issues . . . and that catnip will be legal there.

2 Likes

it will be the same as here on earth, the cats will just use the outdoors, and they’ll accomodate our weird predilictions with porcelein water containing waste disposal
you’re overthinking this

2 Likes

Or as my cats have typically thought of it, the great big and unnecessarily tall water bowl. And for the record, I usually overthink everything. It is my default mode.

2 Likes

What would get legislation passed (much like the Black Panthers open carrying in Reagan’s California) is some hacktivist creating almost-certainly-truthful video/audio confessions by a bunch of the usual republican suspects. Disclosure requirements would be enacted so fast. (Also much the way that video rental record privacy suddenly became an issue after Clarence got outed.)

3 Likes

Metadata doesn’t work that way. I can create a fake photo in Midjourney or Dall-E, upload it to Twitter, and it isn’t going to have any metadata identifying it as AI-generated. The only traceable info is my account and IP address. Am I an AI or a human? Who knows?

There actually are some methods that could identify AI-created text, images, and videos using embedded “token” elements that are given slightly higher priority than other elements, and are rotated on a regular basis. A date and time match on the uploaded content vs. the tokens prioritized at a certain time could help identify that the content is AI-generated.

But this requires cooperation of the companies offering the AI product, and everyone would have to be on board. That won’t happen, because this stuff is getting so good that you won’t need giant server farms run by OpenAI or Google. Smaller programs without the tagged tokens will run on anyone’s computer or phone.

3 Likes

Will A Storm Of AI-Generated Misinfo Flood The 2024 Election?

It’s not the articificial intelligence I’m concerned about, it’s the natural dumb.

9 Likes

It gets a little more interesting when we actually achieve the technical ability to end the world (or at least the human part). That threshold has already been reached with the development of nuclear weapons.

AI is potentially worse, because it’s not going to be under the control of governments. It’s going to be far more widely distributed. And Congress is so far behind what’s happening that there’s no hope of legislative guardrails. Even if the hopelessly out of touch Congress critters understood it, the competition with China for AI military dominance would prevent any meaningful guardrails.

I don’t think we’re necessarily doomed, but this is the first technology after the atom bomb that has equivalent potential.

3 Likes

Where the AI comes into this, is making the means to produce deep fakes accessible to everyone and not just professionals.

I know how to fake a photo because I’ve used Photoshop forever and used to work in computer graphics as part of a photo career. This kind of thing used to be hard. Thanks to generative AI, you don’t need to know Photoshop now. You can create an image just by entering a friggin’ text prompt with no graphic skills at all!

You can even create a full video that way. Although currently it’s so pixellated and rough that it’s obviously AI-generated and you need some video skills to clean it up. That will get better, very soon.

8 Likes

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. We learn a lot from each other here.

1 Like

I just got back from some minor surgery. I think I persuaded the nurse who tended me to get a shelter cat.

2 Likes

Some of us have been screaming nihilism since TFG was elected.
Destroy agencies, norms. Corrupt courts, law enforcement. higher education, public schools. The State Dept alone was so gutted such as to erase our diplomatic footprint around the world

2 Likes

Their goal is chaos.

1 Like

I will still take the red pill.

1 Like

mandating that AI-generated content be identified in political ads.

That’s an excellent idea.

I suggest the identification be clearer than “Built by AI” or “Powered by AI”. (Built by intelligence? Not even close to true, artificial or otherwise.)

A better disclosure is “Warning: The following images are not real” or “Imagery is a cartoon”.

Not AI generated:

2 Likes

OT. Today is my dog’s 15th birthday. Early this year we thought we were going to lose him when he became quite sick. Happily, several courses of antibiotics did the trick. Good check up at vet’s and good results for blood tests.

7 Likes

One of Dear Hubby’s friends had to put down their 18 year old cat yesterday. Value every day you have with the furry ones. It is never long enough.

1 Like

Don Jr. claims that the truck driven into the White House grounds was a false flag. You don’t need AI to fool the people. Everything will be a false flag operation the next year and a half.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available