Why Two Georgia Senate Candidates Are Fighting About Mao

In Georgia, the senate campaign has become anything but local as two of the leading Republican candidates trade barbs over a portrait of Mao Zedong. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1339671
1 Like

If you go carryin’ pictures of Chairman Mao, you ain’t gonna make it with anyone, anyhow.

36 Likes

This is how far the Republican party has descended into irrelevance. The Party of Raegan is now utterly out of ideas.

15 Likes

Are any of the candidates old enough to know this?

9 Likes

please proceed …

8 Likes

Those of us in GA who support Rev. Warnock can just laugh at how Loeffler and Collins are cannibalizing themselves and their party. #bluewave

22 Likes

Let me jump in here and say that if Kelly Loeffler supports Mao because she has an Andy Warhol work that uses a picture of him in her house, then Collins is just as guilty for displaying the picture on his twitter account.

It is like the Prophet Muhammad issue – you can use images in ways that go beyond the simple intention of saying “I love what is in this image”. But these are really loopy fundamentalists, so I guess that’s beyond them.

In the end, this can only help one of the candidates.

Raphael Warnock.

18 Likes

We Georgians are so embarrassed by this.

Loeffler has a Warhol on her wall, which should be the envy of everyone except 1) it’s a Warhol and 2) it’s inexcusably expensive. But Collins goes after her about the subject of the painting. And she then claims it was Photoshopped!

It’s a Warhol, goddammit!

The reason why everyone thinks Republicans are from a different universe is that they are.

21 Likes

Two odious republicans tearing each other down…

giphy (1)|nullxnull

10 Likes

We can only hope that enough Georgians are repulsed by both Collins and Loeffler—each of whom is eminently repulsive for different reasons—that Rev. Warnock wins the January runoff.

20 Likes

Best hope would be that Warnock pulls off the magic 50 due to them just tearing each other down and doesn’t have to do a runoff.

14 Likes

18 Likes

It has been amazing how Warnock is relentlessly moving up in the polls – it seems to me that with some pragmatic election day defections from Matt Lieberman he could do it?

9 Likes

Doubtful, unfortunately. Looks like even if Warnock got all of Lieberman’s stuff, would still be in the low 40s, would need serious defections from collins and loeffler to make it over.

3 Likes

I am so down with this. Early voters are coming in legions for Rev. Warnock.

5 Likes

I’ve never understood the political value in triumphantly saying where the Coronavirus comes from. Who cares? The point is what YOU are doing about it now.

The rest is just arguing the Jews poisoned the wells.

6 Likes

I don’t get what the problem is, If Mao was alive he would be ass-grabbing pal with Trump just like Kim, MbS and Putin. In fact the only autocrats that Trump isn’t friends with are those like the Ayatollah Khamenei, that he has never actually met because opposition from Netanyahu.

6 Likes

Collins is bitching about how Loeffler decorates her house?

Mao’s been dead for 46 years. Who cares?

I wish I could find the video of a macaw parading outside somebody’s house croaking “What the fuck?” over and over. it would be perfect for this

12 Likes

It would be equally salutory if parts of Loeffler and Collins’ electorate stayed home in confusion or disgust.

9 Likes

Jeebus, man! As a Georgia resident, I really hope these fools, Loeffler and Collins, tear each other to shreds. The sooner we put these fucking clowns’ political careers in the past tense, we will begin to enjoy not wearing paper bags on our heads when we venture outdoors.

7 Likes