Why The Chiefs And Royals Couldn’t Convince Kansas City Voters To Foot The Bill For Their Stadiums - TPM – Talking Points Memo

This article is part of TPM Cafe, TPM’s home for opinion and news analysis. It was originally published at The Conversation.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1485286
1 Like

I’ll get this started with the statement that Jackson County, Missouri, is only a small part of the overall KC Metro area. That metro area extends into Kansas, as well. If there’s any economic benefit bestowed upon the residents of both Kansas and Missouri by the mere presence of the KC Chiefs, then that burden of financing any improvements for the Chiefs (and Royals) should extend to everyone, and NOT only to those tax payers in Jackson County. I can’t blame those voters in Jackson County for denying that burden placed upon them one bit! If that burden was spread across all counties where Chiefs and Royals fans come from to attend their games (a guestimated distance of over 200 miles!), that burden would be much, much smaller on everybody. Nonetheless, the billionaire owners of todays entertainment venues really do need a wake-up call as to who really owns their fates.

3 Likes

Public financing of private, commercial properties is the biggest scam since 3-card Monte. I hope this trend continues in the future.

5 Likes

Here in Savannah, we have a ball park called Grayson Stadium. Built in 1926, it has a lot of history. It currently is the home of the Savannah Bananas. (Look them up, or better, check them out on youtube.) The Bananas sell out every game. Tickets are available by lottery. Now, before the Bananas, we had the Sand Gnats, a true semi-pro team. The owner/manager of that team insisted the city build him a new park. Threatened to leave, stomped his feet, all the usual. The city, and the people, responded with love and protection for Grayson Stadium. So, the Gnats left for South Carolina, and Tyler Gillum and the Bananas said, “Let us show you how this is done.”

2 Likes

Public preference has no influence on the laws passed, except for the very rich.

Unless the public is allowed a direct vote.

All of these professional leagues are absolutely swimming in money and should have their own league mortgage company. Let them go to the other owners for approval and pay them the interest just like every other business, well most other businesses. Cities & states have been continually scammed by corporations promising big returns to their tax funded schemes.

1 Like

Hello, @discobot Official Site
Thanks for creating this post it’s very helpful for me, My query is solved.

Best Regard,
ryan1969

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available