Why Hasn’t Trump Issued Nationwide Stay-At-Home Order Yet? | Talking Points Memo

The vetting process needs to be really insightful - it cannot be just the “balance the ticket” / " what states can they help carry" … there is going to be a giant need for extensive macro level project management skills - somebody who understands how to put highly functional teams together & how to guide & empower leadership at multiple levels.
This will not be easy - as some people talk a good game … but their execution can be weak.

Ummm, just a guess here, but maybe Matt Groening or the screenwriters for Gran Torino?

There was a piece up in Salon earlier this week that holds the position that humoring Donnie John’s delusions is the best thing we can do for the country at this point. (Sorry, I can’t find the piece :frowning: )

I don’t buy it, myself. The bullshit flag needs to be thrown on this clown early and often.

1 Like

Under ordinary circumstances, yes. I shouldn’t give the incompetent asshole any ideas, but if he were to declare martial law he could issue such an order. Whether the military would accept the order (or even the declaration) is a different question entirely.

This is one of the reasons I DON"T want him issuing that order. He, Meadows and their minions can’t handle the responsibility of martial law and they won’t give it up if they get their hands on it. IMHO, it would be much better for them to forcefully advocate for each governor and local government to issue their own orders with explicit but extendable timelines.

ETA: I would ask democrats to put this in the “be careful what you wish for” column.

Depends entirely on the cancer, his treatment, and how his cancer responds to treatment. If it is Stage IV small cell carcinoma he could be around for a year or two (although the current pandemic has to be making it tough for folks to get their chemo). If it is a non small-cell (like an adenocarcinoma) he might be around longer. Over all types of lung cancer, the one-year survival rate for patients diagnosed at Stage IV is around 15% (and that is in a health system not overwhelmed with a pneumonia epidemic).

2 Likes
1 Like

Where did I say I wanted the asshole to declare martial law?

I don’t want him to declare martial law. Like you, I believe he is incapable of handling the responsibility. If he were to make the declaration it would be challenged in court immediately. Absent a clear breakdown of local control, the courts should declare the order null and void. (That isn’t to say they will, but a government of laws that can be overturned at the whim of the incumbent president is a dictatorship.) There are also the question of whether the military would accept orders issued under a nation-wide declaration of martial law as legal.

ETA: @cervantes I stand corrected. I missed that comment by Fauci. I can’t bring myself to pay any attention to pResident 45*'s daily shitshow.

1 Like

Understood from your original comment.

And at the moment he doesn’t have to, if the goal is to address the pandemic.

1 Like

Every question about Trump’s inability to take a firm action - links back to one common set of indisputable facts

• Trump has NEVER made a courageous accountable move in his life… ever …

• when faced with either accepting responsibility for his own errors or blaming someone else…Trump has ALWAYS blamed someone else

• integrity means NOTHING to Trump.

1 Like

Ay that’s the rub, isn’t it?

The goal is re-election and declaration of the Trump Monarchy, isn’t it?

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t mean to offend. Your comment just happened to be the one out of a lot that mentioned martial law. The “be careful what you wish for” part was an afterthought not intended to be directed specifically to you, but to a lot of commenters who seem to think DT should declare the order.

Comment threads can be messy.

2 Likes

Got you. We’re all a little hypersensitive just now.

2 Likes

By any means necessary … it would appear?

1 Like

Yeah, if there’s any form of communication that’s worse than email, it’s a comment thread. But I just can’t quit either of them. :smiley:

1 Like

I think it’s naive to think that Trump’s horrifically awful response to the pandemic is due entirely to incompetence and indifference, although certainly these are amply present. I think it’s also, and perhaps especially, intentional, to on the one hand exact revenge on his political enemies in blue states and cities, which includes not just their Dem leaders but also their voters, who’ve rejected him and the GOP en masse, and on the other hand benefit himself, the GOP, and his allies throughout the political and business world, politically and financially. I absolutely believe that he’s gaming this to his and his allies’ advantage, in the hopes of staying in office and thus avoiding legal scrutiny next year, keeping the senate, winning back or keeping states, and maybe making a lot of money off it.

Plus the payback, incompetence and indifference, of course. That’s always a given with Trump.

I have even darker, deeper suspicions, but this is a mostly CT-free site so I’ll leave it at that. And I’m not necessarily primarily referring to Trump and the GOP in this respect.

3 Likes

Can’t argue with any of that. I would like to think that dem voters have been listening to the scientists and that DT’s response will come back to bite him and his enablers in the ass come November, but we’ll see.

1 Like

True, but they could exploit structural “opportunities” made possible by the pandemic to moot that.

Note that I added another paragraph after your rec so I’m not holding you to having rec’ed that part. If you remove the rec based on it I won’t take it personally.

He must hurt and seek to destroy everyone and anyone who supported his impeachment. Period.

2 Likes

CT???

Como se dice CT in ingles, por favor.

Teh CT?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available