Why Hasn’t Trump Issued Nationwide Stay-At-Home Order Yet? | Talking Points Memo

The resistance some states have shown to implementing aggressive coronavirus responses has led public health experts to call for President Trump to issue nationwide stay-at-home guidance.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1301341
1 Like

Why not? Because he’s a Goddamned fool, and a sociopath who will let us all die to serve his own ends, that’s why not.

32 Likes

Because we can’t have a rational response based on scientific fact and actual knowledge?

14 Likes

Because he cannot it falls to governors and mayors to do the heavy lifting.

@Volvo_Birkenstock, it used to be about having nice things … now it’s about making those in office believe actual hard data from scientists who have nothing to gain from telling the truth.

trump has made in a point to not believe his intelligence folks. He does not trust doctors which is why he sees quacks. He hates scientists because they regularly show him his reality construct is wrong and bears no relation to actual fact. If he thought there would be political gain in firing Dr Fauci he would do it in a heartbeat. But Fauci has an unassailable and stellar reputation for honesty in his science and outlook on medicine. He has advised presidents since the 1980’s.
We are in the hands(tiny as they are) of a demented insane man who has possession of the codes to nuclear weapons. Yeah,he scares me as much as this virus.
The republican controlled Senate failed us in the impeachment drama. Now we have contagion on everyone’s door step and a president who would rather play golf if the Secret Service would let him. It is stunning to me trump would think of saying this is behind us by Easter and we can all go back to our normal lives by then. By Easter there could be 90,000 dead Americans and that is my low ball estimate.

22 Likes

Because Melania won’t obey it?

5 Likes

Trump just doesn’t care about saving any life other than his own.

14 Likes

27 Likes

My shop didn’t go remote until our governor ordered it although most people but me were doing sick-outs by that point and essentially all orgs we work with had been remote for 2 week by then. We of course had sick time so people could do that. But I know there are a lot of workers w/o sick time who are not feeling thrilled to be dragged into the coronavirus world just to keep their bosses looking good.

7 Likes

Isn’t Hope Hicks doing her job now anyhow?

8 Likes

This is a mystery. Coronavirus is everywhere and the government remains largely blind as (invoking Caps Lock) BECAUSE OF INSUFFICIENT TESTING.

The US still needs a testing czar. Finland, which is a couple weeks ahead of the US, has committed to ongoing testing at maximum capacity for the duration. With people through the virus already, these should be returning to the work force. Also the private sector has failed here. Quest just sits on samples and whines about the backlog or lack of inputs. Only the government can bang heads, and boy, given the miserable state of testing in the US, some head-banging is appropriate.

11 Likes

As if. Our GOP governor won’t even do this. He leaves it up to the local authorities so they get the political fallout if there is any.

This crisis has got to be the end of the GOP. They have just blown it totally, almost everywhere, with a few notable exceptions.

33 Likes

This affects all of us. Because the virus crosses state lines with ease, we can only be as successful as the least responsible state among us. And the longer some of these red states hold off from incorporating “best practices”, the longer all of us are imprisoned in our homes and unable to work, and the more likely we tip into a depression.

Hmm. I wonder if any President has won re-election while overseeing a depression largely of his own making.

18 Likes

Well you can take a gander at Hoover for an answer from history.

No. What’s more it destroyed the GOP for 40 years.

27 Likes

40 years in the wilderness for Republicans sounds mighty good to me.

25 Likes

By NOT ordering or encouraging a nationwide stay-at-home order…

Trump’s approach seems like a Whack-A-Covid-State-By-State OR Whack-A-Covid-Urban-by-Suburban-by-Rural-Areas!

What a chaotic mess…it will just prolong Covid in the US wreck more havoc with the economy (since he is so concerned about it) AND it could cause a loop for other areas that had already flatten the curve to have surges coming from other places without stay-at-home orders!

When will Dunning-Kruger Trump listen to what other expert AND smarter people advice him?

4 Likes

where’s Kudlow, Miller, and Mconnell? guess we need more plagues.

6 Likes

There’s “negligent homicide”, now Trump is guilty of at the very least “negligent genocide”.

5 Likes

Why do we keep asking "why this?, “why that?” Congress (Dems) wants to “investigate”. Save our money. I and every other thinking person can explain everything very simply.

We have an illegitimately selected president ( see: Russian interference, voter disenfranchisement, Electoral College) who will only hire loyalists who do not challenge him in any way. Their only job is to be loyal to Trump. Period. The loyalists are anti-science, anti-intellectual and more concerned with preserving a Republican majority than to preserve the well being of the American people. This applies to appointed judges, as well.

Trump is a psychopath. He would step over the dead bodies of those he refuses to protect on his way to play golf. People do not matter to him, nor to his sycophants. They all think that their wealth will protect them and if the rest of us are not wealthy then, too bad. A gut-wrenching estimate of the virus death toll is only concerning to him as it may affect his reelection. Period. He is conflicted now because high numbers of COVID deaths will make him look bad, yet, he MUST punish his political enemies ( i.e.: truth tellers) . His pathological pettiness and cruelty simply will not allow him to do his job as it should be done. He sends too much unrequested equipment to Florida (Red state, must win) and cancels orders of supplies going to NY, IL, MI because he must hurt the democratic leaders who are stealing his spotlight with their competence.

He has the power to compel manufacturing of critically needed supplies, yet, he refuses to do this. Why? He has never felt more powerful than he is now. His unmitigated joy in hurting anyone who disagrees with him has him on a cruelty high. He cannot come down. Every single death in this country can be laid at his feet. We need a competent leader. We have a mentally ill clown.

Someday, this nightmare will end. Should Trump survive it, I honestly hope that he does not, and there is one investigation that really does need to happen. His refusal to use the power of his office to help the dying and healthcare workers is nothing short of genocide. THIS is the crime that demands to be investigated. Not “Why” did this happen. The question is “How” was he allowed to get away with this criminally negligent manslaughter?

29 Likes

He has not done it because he is a completely unqualified, way-over-his-head TV pitchman pretending to lead the country.

9 Likes

my Dem Governor J.B. Pritzker shut Illinois down 2 1/2 weeks ago. we are surrounded by Iowa, Missouri, Kentucky, and Indiana. Wisconsin has a dem guv who has done the right thing. see our problem?

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available