WHO Halts Trial Of Trump’s Anti-Malaria Drug After Study Finds Higher Mortality Rate In COVID Cases

World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu announced on Monday that the organization is temporarily suspending its drug trial of hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malaria drug President Donald Trump has persistently claimed to treat COVID-19 despite having no scientific evidence.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1310704
1 Like

See? The W.H.O. is a never Trumper!

And if Trump says he’s been doing hydroxy, that’s as true as anything else he’s ever said.

8 Likes

“‘And all I can tell you is, so far I seem to be okay,’ [Trump] said."

Um, I hate to break it to you, Mr. president*, but you’re not okay. You’re a sick puppy; you just haven’t been infected by this particular virus yet.

19 Likes

“And all I can tell you is, so far I seem to be okay,” he said.

“Compared to what?” says every sentient human being on the planet.

20 Likes

Unfortunately, the mortality rate wasn’t quite high enough for certain self-imposed drug-hyping trials…

10 Likes

No wonder at all

2 Likes

Yet.

5 Likes

I love an optimist…

9 Likes

Sorry Donnie, but karma is a bitch.

6 Likes

Maybe Dr. Dotard can restart the study, him acting as part of the high-dose control group.

9 Likes

come on trump,
you have to prove them wrong by at least doubling up your intake of your super virus killing pill and take it 2 times a day.
That will show those non-metric thinking anti-trumpers who the real genius is.
keep us informed daily of your progress on beating this nasty virus.

5 Likes

It’s political.
Just because people are dying from Trump’s favorite drug does not mean it should not be forced on the sick.

4 Likes

In a little-noticed footnote to its report, the Lancet encouraged Trump not only to continue taking hydroxychloroquine but to double his dosage.

“We don’t often have the opportunity to study an Out-Of-Control Group,” the report said.

24 Likes

Once again, it is shocking that a drug that works by attacking digestion in bacteria that cause malaria is not helpful against a virus, and that one that causes kidney issues increases mortality in a disease that damages basically every major organ.

God, this is such a shit show.

13 Likes

Donnie gonna be even more pissed at the WHO.

Why would anyone pay attention to “science” and “facts” and “evidence” when you have Donnie’s personal feelings to go by!

5 Likes

That title…”Trump’s anti malaria drug“. Nicely done.

10 Likes

Aw, Trump is trying to be the biggest mass murderer in US history.

3 Likes

WHO Halts Trial

First base! :grin:

7 Likes

As I type this, the Johns Hopkins coronavirus tracking website claims 98,034 Americans dead from COVID-19 under Con Boss Twit Dotard. The most shameful thing about that number is that none of these deaths had to happen, and they all died because a corrupt and vindictive racist became POTUS and decided to dismantle every anti-pandemic protection his predecessor had put in place and then did absolutely nothing once he was told that a deadly virus was on its way. In fact, he called it a hoax and downplayed it.

There shall be payback. Anyone who votes for Con Boss Twit Dotard is either stupid or ignorant and well propagandized, or corrupt, or un-American, or racist, or fascist. Some might say that being fascist is un-American and is therefore redundant; that used to be true, but we’ve had the government working for corporations and oligarchs for quite some time now, so it’s actually hard to say that fascism isn’t American. I say all of the above as someone who was raised in a Republican family and who used to be in the GOP, a long, long time ago.

When we reach the horrible 100,000 dead milestone, will our flags be flown at half-mast?

6 Likes

I hope he never gets close to Kissinger’s tally.

10 Likes