When the Billionaire Family Behind the Opioid Crisis Needed PR Help, They Turned to Mike Bloomberg | Talking Points Memo

You may be interested to know that there are several democratic alternatives to DT who have not recently been republicans, do not hold NDAs over former employees and don’t lie about how involved they were with policies such as “Stop and Frisk.”

One of the reasons I’m a democrat is that we prefer to call out wrongdoing, rather than jump on whatever appears to be politically expedient at the moment.

5 Likes

Because he saw Sanders and Warren surging in the poll and freaked out. He claims to care, but he really only cares about maintaining a status quo and doesn’t want the country to slide any further left.

4 Likes

You are correct! I had to look it up: David Koch (the worst of the 3 brothers) was the Libertarian Party’s VP candidate in the 1980 presidential election, sharing the party ticket with Pres Candidate Ed Clark.

What a waste of time, money, and energy!

1 Like

The Prosperity Gospel bandits say the same thing. El Chapo Guzman never forced anyone to buy his drugs, they were bought voluntarily.

1 Like

This could be toxic for anyone…except Mike Bloomberg.

If he spins this to the narrative that he is so sharp and knowledgeable that even the richest and most powerful people come to him begging for advice, and that makes him singularly well qualified to be president, lemons might become lemonade.

Note to Bloomberg Campaign: that will be $250K, please.

1 Like

Death of a thousand cuts. What we now know about Bloomberg: Revelations like these won’t stop coming out. My favorite so far: as Mayor, Bloomberg sided with the landlords on lead abatement. Who lost? You guessed it: mostly children of color.

4 Likes

What’s your definition of oligarch?

Bloomberg ran a large city and was re-elected three times …by Democratic voters.

Not my favorite but still better than Trump.

Still believe vote Blue no matter who.

2 Likes

It looks like he’s finally gotten the picture: he’s got no ad buys past Super Tuesday

2 Likes

I’ve no love for Bloomberg, but I’m hoping if he’s not nominated, he’ll give substantial support to the nom person. Also, why not contribute to something that might mitigate the effects of this pandemic? He pisses away money like nothing.

1 Like

No… he wasn’t elected by Democratic voters. He ran against Democrats in every election.

He won in large part to blowout margins in Staten Island in all three of his victories. He never carried the Bronx or Brooklyn in any one of his victories.

The electorate that he rode to victory is comprised of the Trump voters who live in NYC.

2 Likes

Co-sign on Pritzker. He is, however, the exception not the rule. Plutocrats like Bloomberg, Rauner, etc., pretty clearly telegraph their inner contempt for the “common man”.

Pritzker seems to be genuinely interested in hearing his constituents. Pleasantly surprised so far.

Welcome to America, 2020!

No, it is able to make him feel smart, which is the next best thing.

2 Likes

He claims he’s running to save the nation from 45*. But, really, I think he’s running to save “business as usual” from Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders and for his brethren in the 1%.

1 Like