When the Billionaire Family Behind the Opioid Crisis Needed PR Help, They Turned to Mike Bloomberg | Talking Points Memo

What about her? She seems really nice on her show, but so did Trump on his.

1 Like

Still amazed at the possibility of US voters having to choose between two flavors of racist sexist billionaire trash for POTUS.

2 Likes

Oh Come on. Oprah started with nothing. She didn’t go after other shows to put them out of business. And find me anyone that says Trump appeared like a nice guy on his show. You’re just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

4 Likes

Ehhhh… close. David (I think, I don’t really care enough to keep which one is which straight) was a VP candidate at some point.

2 Likes

Hopefully with a better ending (try not to get eaten by your own revolution, please).

1 Like

Bloomberg acting unethically?!?! Stop the presses! :roll_eyes:

If we give this asshole our nomination, the Democratic party is dead in everything but name. Fold up the tent, and go home folks, we’re done.

1 Like

Do all of her employees make a living wage? What about the folks in the factories making her branded goods?

Not saying Oprah’s as morally bankrupt as Bloomberg is, but you don’t accumulate $1,000,000,000 let alone $2,700,000,000 without exploitation at a fundamental level.

3 Likes

Bloomberg bought himself a third term as Mayor NYC, his ownership of MSM means he can pay for any narrative for anyone, he can buy a presidential candidacy.

Bloomberg embodies perfectly the notion that everyone has a price and that he can afford that price.

How can anyone believe that this man has the average American’s interest at heart. Take a good look at those who would fluff for him, they are not interested in democracy.

4 Likes

Oprah is the exception.
Racism played a major role in catapulting her to stratospheric wealth via the term “syndication rights”. She bet on herself & won when they did not want to pay her the salary commiserate with her skills. Phil Donahue was King of Talk & there was no way the TV producers thought this black woman would topple him. In lieu of salary Oprah asked for percent of syndication rights in every market she was broadcast. The rest is history.No one can get that deal today.

4 Likes

Hmm … the counter I would cite as to why that’s not a hard or fast rule is Mark Cuban. During the irrational exuberance dot com boom and online acquisition craze of the late nineties Yahoo swooped in to buy his recent IPO’d fledgling company broadcast.com in a stock swap. It had a business plan that internet infrastructure in 1999 was about a decade behind from being able to actually implement. Cuban immediately liquidated his six billion in Yahoo stock before the 2000 crash. By 2002 Yahoo was forced to shutdown broadcast.com and write it off as a total loss.

I wouldn’t call that “pathological greed or selfishness”. I’d call it pure luck.

4 Likes

Exactly. The money she is being given didn’t grow on trees, it was taken from someone else.

1 Like

My better angels question the circular firing squad. The other part of me seriously questions whether Bloomberg is actually part of the circle.

2 Likes

They are who we think they are.

4 Likes

I know all her employees at her offices make good wage and have benefits. I cannot answer about her products because I know nothing about them.

Also, he never seriously thought that his accomplishments qualified him for the Presidency.

We have a billionaire governor now in Illinois. J.B. Pritzker is doing a pretty good job. He wasn’t my first choice nor did I vote for him in the primary. The difference is that Pritzker harmonized his politics with Democratic positions. He didn’t have a long list of GOP crap to walk back.

3 Likes

I am guessing Bloomberg must be on the ballot in AZ because I have been receiving expensive looking glossy pieces of mail extolling his virtues every single day this week. Every - single - day. I do mail in voting and already filled out my ridiculous ballot (it included people I had never even heard of) with my favorite candidate, Warren.

How very quickly Bloomberg’s “altruistic” drive to only make sure Trump loses turned into trying to make sure Sanders and Warren do not get the nomination. 62 billion cannot cover up the skunk smell, Mike, and all of your phony platitudes make me want to set fire to your mailings instead of throwing them into the recycle bin. In your own way, you are as phony as Trump.

3 Likes

I’d bet anyone working the white-collar side of thing is well taken care of. The folks who do the janitorial and catering… possibly not.

It’s just like Google and Facebook most likely. There’s a two-class system, FTEs who get the cush benefits and livable salaries, and the subcontractors who keep the lights on and drive the shuttle buses.

They’re not technically employees, so their non-living wages don’t show up in the corporate governance reports. They outsource it, and sweep the existence of all those folks under the rug.

1 Like

:ear: Hear, hear.:ear:

3 Likes

Mortimer? Really? Who names their kid that?

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it was “taken”, people willingly buy her stuff all the time. Oprah is not taking anything from anyone, they’re giving it to her freely.

1 Like