What Defaulting On Our Debt Would Actually Look Like

Because they can.

5 Likes

And that’s where the term ‘entitlement’ often used to describe these programs colors the narratives.

It’s wrong but it’s so engrained into the narrative, it may well never be changed.

Entitlement Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

: a government program providing benefits to members of a specified group

also : funds supporting or distributed by such a program

Nowhere does even the dictionary support the idea that these are programs workers have paid into.

3 Likes

The SCOTUS represents the rentier class, not the MAGA class. If the debt ceiling breach started tanking the stock market, they’d step in to stop the bleeding. One of the few benefits of a corrupt SCOTUS majority.

As for a severe recession, yes, that’s a real risk, but not guaranteed. Neither is that the blowback would fall on Democrats rather than Republicans.

However, what is guaranteed is that Republicans will use the debt ceiling like a Sword of Damocles from now till the end of time. It’s long past time we hold firm against negotiating with these hostage takers and take the debt ceiling off the board once and for all.

11 Likes

Interest chart. Thanks.

Reagan. Still a standout. Republicans are not fiscal conservatives. They’re fiscal thieves.

Reagan spent the equivalent of three terms in two.

18 Likes

Yes, but who’s going to tell the GQPers?

No one has stepped up with this yet. That’s why SCOTUS is either going to have repeal the 14th by decision or maintain the 14th by decision. It’s the only way this stops, however painful the process might be.

Until someone does something, though, the litigation can’t even begin.

3 Likes

It is, but sadly we need a SCOTUS ruling to make it official.

2 Likes

What I understand this past Wednesday at the GOP caucus, they finally got a lesson on the difference between government shutdown and government default. I don’t know if it did any good or not because this is something that should have been presented during their orientation week.

My take on this and from what I have been reading, the clue resides with Rep. Patrick McHenry who is the Chair of the House Committee of Financial Services. He told the House Republican leadership a couple of weeks ago that they had to get realistic about this and that is when certain things were pulled back from the discussion table. This guy is a tool of Wall Street and when they tell him enough is enough, that is when we will get the debt ceiling bill.

21 Likes

According to the historical budget tables published by the OMB, the gross federal debt at FYE 2017 (the last Obama budget) was $20.2 trillion and the gross federal debt at FYE 2021 (the last Trump budget) was $28.4 trillion, so Trump ran up 28.9% of the current debt. Some of that was Covid pandemic related debt, but a lot of it was standard issue GOP tax cuts. Or as they say, the party of fiscal responsibility.

ETA 28.9% of the debt at the end of his budgetary term, not 28.9% of the current debt.

11 Likes

“People vote with their wallets”
I think some people do but not all people do.
My SS and Medicare may be threatened but
“They’re not talkin’ ‘bout right and left. They’re talkin’ 'bout Right and Wrong. Do you know the difference?”
Joe Jackson
“Right and Wrong”

9 Likes

I do have the hard evidence that I did pay into Social Security. It’s money that already is mine. Much like a bank account in my opinion. Now if a bank said “nope fellah, yer money is now ours” well that’s robbery where I come from. So it’s well past “entitlement”.

7 Likes

What would be fun would be to hear, tomorrow, the GQP talking heads be asked about this from folks like Chuck Todd to see if they actually learned anything. My bet is no. Those that want this were probably doing fund-raising on their phones or laughing about all of this in texts with like-minded denizens or getting instructions from their benefactors.

But I would love to hear if ANY minds were changed as a result of this lecture.

5 Likes

defaulting

Investments weaken, Rupert.
People cancel cable, Rupert.
Advertising drops, Rupert.
Expenses rise, Rupert.
Travel costs rise, Rupert.
Republicans take the blame, Rupert.
Fox News takes the blame, Rupert.

Who’s next?

Mr. Koch? Mr. Dimon? Ms. McMahon? Mr. Huntsman? Ms. Loeffler?

If y’all aren’t afraid of losing millions now over a cheap political stunt, why the hell do you oppose paying taxes that will benefit your business?

14 Likes

I’m still trying to get my head around the fact that nothing was done in the House or the Senate with respect to the debt limit during the lame-duck period following the mid-term elections. At this point, it’s simply academic, so to speak, but I just haven’t heard any explanation that makes sense to me.

6 Likes

There was action, otherwise, we’d already be shut down. There was some action that was taken late last year, but I just can’t find what it was.

2 Likes

The fact that they offered some half-way measures shows that they’re rattled. When I heard the word “September” last week that told me that they are on thin ice with this.

Ignorance not only is “no excuse” but also is their weakness.

8 Likes

To be clear, what I mean is the House and Senate should have simply passed the necessary debt-limit increase when they could have. I’m frustrated that didn’t happen but the focus now has to be on how we can prevent the arsonists from burning everything down now that they have the matches.

3 Likes
20 Likes

“Petr Pavil”
Wait what?
Did they break up with Mary?

11 Likes

Why does the GOP hate the US?

4 Likes

The big problem has been they never look at that except on the individual level. The big picture for them is built of wild day dreaming and wishful thinking that has little to with why they are sitting in their seats to begin with. But it all sounds good to their voters. They think this through with the same due diligence as Brexit was put to. And we know how that is shaking out.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available