What Defaulting On Our Debt Would Actually Look Like

That doesn’t say he was using his own phone. It’s pretty common for jails to give phone privileges to inmates, which means that inmate can place a collect call from a phone owned by the jail. Since he hasn’t even been convicted of a crime at this point, it isn’t improbable he’d have phone privileges

@darrtown

2 Likes

I won.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree with this. I explain to folks an equivalent analysis - I used to live in Orange County, California (for those who don’t know it, a traditionally Republican county in the Los Angeles urban region, now starting to trend towards Blue as the Repubs gasp for air in CA). Orange County actually has more voters (just over 1.8 million) than Wyoming (just over 280,000) and yet they get two Senators and we have to share our two with the other 20 million or so CA voters. This is fundamentally broken at the architectural level.

FWIW, I’m also a big fan of ranked choice voting, as I feel it helps avoid the “split the rational vote and we get a TFG” result) (lest we forget that he never got more than about 30 percent of the Republican primary! vote, but with another 13 or so dipshits in the race who refused to bow out to split the rest of the vote, well, to quote Kurt Vonnegut - “And so it goes…”

And don’t get me started on how a Parliamentary system promotes alliances between multiple parties, compared to the fustercluck we have in the US… :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

[quote=“playitagainrowlf, post:492, topic:233867, full:true”]

Counterpoint: the Kenneset

2 Likes

CounterCounterpoint:

Australia
New Zealand
Canada
Britain
Scotland (yes, it has its own parliament)
Northern Ireland
Ireland
Germany (please ignore the recent kerfuffle over Leopard tanks)
France
Sweden

etcetcetc

One failed datapoint doesn’t negate the system, just as the United States doesn’t negate the concept of democracy (And yes, that’s a joke. I do still think what we have is way better than a very large percentage of the rest of the world - I just wish we could apply some needed upgrades to a system that’s been hobbling along on hacks and patches for over 200 years! :roll_eyes: )

6 Likes

Kevin has decided to showcase Republican nonsense. Pure gold for late night comedy writers.

8 Likes

Yeah. Questions. People have all these questions, see? And because there are so many questions, it justifies almost any stunt we care to pull. Questions give us the right to attack, over-run, and ransack our Capitol. Throw out elections we don’t like. And to dodge subpoenas. And commit felonies. But we’re going to get to the bottom of this, if we have to shut down every working facet of America, in order to answer some of these questions…

8 Likes

Britain’s parliament hasn’t been doing so great in recent years, but still, I’d take Rishi Sunak, Boris Johnson, or even Lettuce Lady over Trump, McConnell, and Qevin McCarthy.

5 Likes

Aw, man.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Send that nitwit a comb. And a mirror. Or new glasses.

3 Likes

Vyacheslav Volodin --The Kevin McCarthy of Russia? The Duma speaker has been around in politics about as long as Kevin McCarthy, lingering close to power, but staying just outside the blast zone. He’s getting increasing mention as the possible placeholder successor to Putin during the 2-3 year transition before the next long-term leader appears. Like McCarthy, he spends most of his days spouting nonsense but understands well how the Kremlin game is played.

https://www.russiamatters.org/analysis/devoted-putin-volodins-views-russia-west-and-rest

2 Likes

garrybee posted this on Post yesterday

2 Likes
8 Likes

Fixed it.

1 Like

Also, Motown’s Barrett Strong, 81.
Barrett Strong: Motown trailblazer and hitmaker, dies at 81 - BBC News

2 Likes

Barret wrote a lot of classic songs, he was amazing.

1 Like

That’s exactly the thought I had when I read that paragraph. “Yeah, buddy: make sure the rentiers get paid, and fuck the voters. I’m not sure that’s great campaign strategy, but I suppose you have to do you.”

The parallels between the third decades of the 20th and 21st Centuries are becoming more striking. I really don’t care to live through a Great Depression, thanks very much.

What parallels, you ask?

• In the 1920s they had alcohol Prohibition. In the 2020s we have Cannabis.
  • In the 1920s, they had emerging Fascism. We have resurgent Fascism and authoritarianism generally.
  • In the 1920s, they had the Taft Supreme Court, which found that Congress could not regulate child labor, upheld warrantless searches of automobiles, and other completely consistent Republican nonsense. We have the Roberts Court. ('nuf said, right?)
  • In the 1920s, they had the 1929 market crash followed by the Great Depression (exacerbated by Republican legislative action–the Smoot-Hawley Tariffs of 1930 that deepened and lengthened the Depression). What are we going to get from McQarthy’s Authoritarian Klown Kar?
  • In the 1920s they had the battle between Godless Darwinism and Evolution. We’ve got the abortion battle.
  • In the 1920s, they had a booming economy followed by a crash followed by Republican legislation (the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act) that deepened the depression here and around the world.
5 Likes

Yeah, not really seeing the value of symbolic victories on this issue.

1 Like

Unfortunately, many voters will blame the President and hence, Democrats, if their own Social Security, Medicare or jobs are lost due to a debt default; most won’t tie it to the actions of McCarthy et al, because FOX won’t tell them.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available