WH COVID Response Coordinator: J&J Pause Won’t Have ‘Significant Impact’ On Vaccine Rollout

White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator Jeff Zients said on Tuesday that federal health agencies’ recommendation to pause Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine would not cause a major disruption to the Biden administration’s vaccine rollout program.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1369408

Given the disruption in the J&J production, resulting from the mixing error, no significant impact might actually be the case in the long run. But how soon can Pfizer and Moderna vaccines be re-routed to sites that had been using the J&J? At the minimum, likely to cause scheduling havoc for those already slated to get the J&J.

5 Likes

I read in another article that the afflicted are all women 18 to 48 is it possible that there was some sort of conflict with meds particular to that cohort?

Medical peep please weigh in

5 Likes

What about the people who are scheduled to receive J&J?

1 Like

Possible contraceptive use. I just found that the type of clot they’re seeing is connected to estrogen, which I’d guess could mean possibly HRT too. So this could have significance but perhaps not. I’m sure they’re looking into it and probably already know whether it could be a factor, but they have to be dead sure in this case.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TPM.

10 Likes

Men actually have overall a higher risk of thrombosis in general.

However, men also have a habit of not going to seek medical care unless they cut a limb off (and even then, may just try to duct tape it back on).

With only six cases to go off of here, none fatal, quite likely that we’re seeing more of that impact than anything else.

2 Likes

Birth control pills is one of contradicting meds. Smoking is another reason.

4 Likes

10 Likes

I read there was one fatality but story is still gelling

3 Likes

You would be the first…

6 Likes

Dallas County’s big (and highly efficient) drive-through vaccine center at Fair Park had one or two days on the schedule with the J&J vaccine yesterday, but now it’s been switched to all Pfizer and Moderna. So at least here, there seems to be enough supply that it won’t slow down the pace much, if at all.

6 Likes

Where did the 165,000 cases in 1 million come from? That’s not data I’ve seen.

4 Likes

Your comment made me curious so I checked and found the incidence is actually higher.

Overall, 20 percent of the COVID-19 patients were found to have blood clots in the veins, and among patients in the intensive care unit, that statistic increased to 31 percent.

@garrybee too

7 Likes

Not to mention there’s a fairly high increased risk of clotting after women have given birth for a few months. Right now there are just too many variables to know why this happened with these women and if it’s related to the J&J vaccine or some other contributor they all had in common.

While I have about zero faith, it will be up to the media to ensure people understand how rare 6 out of how-many-millions of doses have resulted in this clotting and to help us understand what the cause is until we have enough information to know for near certain.

4 Likes

This is misleading; the rate for the AZ vaccine isn’t for clots in general, it’s for a very unusual, difficult to treat condition. I don’t know if the J&J one is the same thing or something more conventional (Josh’s comment about the usual treatment making it worse sounds like it’s similar if not the same), but I expect they need to evaluate exactly what’s going on.

4 Likes

That’s right, my partner, who is generally a very fit, gets it in the veins to the point of fainting. One time it was very close, I was home, she didn’t respond but the EMS got there in time. That’s why we had to find out if she could take any of the vaccines.

3 Likes

For some perspective - vaccine safety is paramount; vaccines are one of the few things we give to healthy individuals, most medications are for treating an existing disease. The rate of thrombosis for the J&J vaccine is approximately 1 per 1 million, a serious adverse event at a rate that you would only see after roll out. Other products have been pulled from the market with this level of serious adverse event, especially if there are safer alternatives. The fact that the AstraZeneca vaccine (also an adenovirus vector vaccine) shows the same series adverse event should give regulators pause. If COVID were a more lethal disease (e.g., smallpox) you might be willing to take the chance. COVID deaths in th US are reduced by the availability of other vaccines and mAb therapies (when used). I also find it troubling that if a physician applies the standard care for thrombosis for J&J induced events, they can actually make the situation worse. I think prudence is the best course of action here.

8 Likes

Water for injection is a tricky business. In particular, the reverse osmosis methods. Sterilized water, for example, still contains pyrogens, dead material that can cause fever and clots. Imagine if all these problems with the AZ, J&J, etc. turn out to be because somebody has been cutting corners on the WFI? As far as I can tell, compromised WFI has not been ruled out.

3 Likes

Good point. I put that up about the birth control pills and smoking. The graph is from a LinkedIn C19 group I read. The Dr. that put it up is Portuguese. I probably shouldn’t have posted that.

2 Likes

Not sure you were wrong in posting, as (if the data is truly factual) it shows that one is at a much, much, much greater risk of experiencing blood clots as a result of contracting COVID-19 than you are from getting the vaccine.

4 Likes