Weekly Unemployment Claims Skyrocket To Record 6.6 Million, Doubling Last Week’s

About her “deplorables” comment: It was a bit more complicated than portrayed by the press and by the Republicans.

I agree with you that she, of all people, should have known this distortion would happen.

Here’s the comment (September 9, 2016), with the context that’s nearly always omitted:

I know there are only 60 days left to make our case — and don’t get complacent, don’t see the latest outrageous, offensive, inappropriate comment and think, well, he’s done this time. We are living in a volatile political environment. You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic — you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people — now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks — they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America.

But the other basket — and I know this because I see friends from all over America here — I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas — as well as, you know, New York and California — but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they’re just desperate for change. It doesn’t really even matter where it comes from. They don’t buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won’t wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they’re in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well.

Notice that Clinton herself said, at the time, that she was being “grossly generalistic.”

1 Like

Because no one uses homing pigeons any more. (I’m only half-joking.)

Especially in the US, this usage has been around for decades, including in the NYT.

I guess hone in “sounds right” if you think of reaching your target by whittling away the irrelevant stuff.

Check again in fifty years and no one will even understand your question. (And I don’t just mean because I won’t be here.)

2 Likes

I hadn’t realized that about the NYT. Huh.

I suspect, by analogy, that what you say about homing pigeons is also the reason people say “reign in” when they mean “rein in”: horses are no longer a part of most people’s daily lives.

And you’re right about the rest of it, too, especially the part about usages changing because, dammit, people keep insisting on using words (and, inevitably, misusing them till enough people have misused them that the misuse has become accepted).

I feel like I grew up writing on clay tablets when I tell my students about the “generic ‘he’,” and I’m still in mourning over the loss of “whom.” But by golly, we’re still dialing numbers . . .

1 Like

Yup, roll that tape again…

1 Like

I know that. But “grossly generalistic” didn’t make the soundbite.

But 1 week after that comment, I saw over a dozen hand made signs go up at businesses where I now live. That comment cost her places that she only had a narrow margin of potential victory.

The seeds for that comment was that people were desperate for the change that President Obama ran on, but never actually delivered on.

And it wasn’t just the fact that he didn’t deliver - in a lot of people’s eyes, he didn’t even try, because he was looking for a bipartisan unicorn that didn’t exist. He should have gone all in at the beginning, rather than starting out with what he thought the republicans would go for.

1 Like

Similar, yes.

1 Like

Yes, and it surprised me even at the time that she did not think it would.

Trump 2020: “We only killed 100,000 people, and lost 10 million jobs in two weeks!”
FIFY

I put a bow on it…

It shouldn’t have surprised anyone.

We saw this exact same behavior when she was working the Health Care project during the 1st Clinton administration. From what I can tell, she doesn’t learn from her mistakes.

1 Like

Many of us don’t.

But many of us also don’t ask complete strangers to put their hopes in our hands.

I’d say that life goes on – but it’s not something I’m taking for granted these days.

“Beginning of the end”? OMFG. That won’t age any better than the “experts” saying 100 US COVID-19 deaths vs. 18,000 flu deaths required us to put things in perspective. That was less than a month ago, and deaths have increased more than 50-fold.

What’s the source for this image? I’m going to tweet it.

1 Like

The trick nowadays is to find pure strains… Everything has been hybridized…

1 Like

Drum rolll…

1,000,177 global cases at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

I predict we hit 8-figues April 9th…

1 Like

Yeah…I tend to like hybrids actually…

Not too OT: one of my consulting colleagues just let me know that he and another one of our colleagues will be done at the client on 10 April. Apparently, they’ll be restored when the sequestration is over, but that pretty much guarantees I’ll get cut at some point. I know I have a client-side training session on 17 April (at 5:30 in the morning, it’s for South Africa), so maybe I’m safe until then.

I also have another gig that wants to bring me on that’s on hold until the sequestration is over. Should anything happen, I’d be ok for a few months.

I made it .You can right click - save as

So much winning. . .
Now comes the whining.

Something to consider - the combination of shipping companies like Fed Ex along with the internet make it possible for small businesses to market and ship nationwide - perhaps your students could also consider non-traditional ways for small farms to make money.

Or, re-look old school ideas. During World War 2, I believe there were community kitchens in urban areas that let people do canning & preserving that they couldn’t do at home. Could community food processing, packaging and shipping “nodes” for small farms make a difference?

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available