We Have A Number! Manchin Finally Makes His Opening Bid On Centerpiece Of Biden Agenda | Talking Points Memo

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things.

It finally came last evening, via anonymously sourced and carefully parsed reports. It wasn’t an official statement or another self-indulgent op-ed. But it appears at long last that Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) has made an opening bid on President Biden’s $3.5 trillion reconciliation package. The news came via reports in Axios and CNN.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1386995

animals are so funny to me. like they all have their own personalities

Like? Like? I think that is an absolutely do have their own personalities. Jeez. Make a commitment if you actually own a cat.

Meanwhile in other news, Joe Manchin is doing stuff.

22 Likes

The devil will still be in the details

…West Virginia (with a vacation home in AZ).

12 Likes

39 Likes

Manchin’s hypocrisy is truly breath-taking. His bipartisan infrastructure bill steals from the Covid Rescue Plan and other sources for funding and then puts the rest on Uncle Sam’s credit card, but the Reconciliation bill has to come up with all new funding. All that’s left, is the rest of the Repubs demand - that all the new revenue be extracted from the lowest quintile of the population, income-wise. What a snake! It’s the ultimate “I got mine, Jack” position.

35 Likes

More Like Robert E. Please Leave

A 12-ton statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee in Richmond, Virginia is slated to be removed today.

• It will be cut in half and partially shipped to a women’s prison in Goochland, Virginia, according to local news outlet WRIC.

Partially shipped? So, it’s only going half way to the prison? Or half of it is going all the way? Is the prison getting the horse’s ass if it’s the latter?

Weirdest damn way to explain the disposition of a statue. C’mon, TPM!

18 Likes

OT, from The Guardian (lightly edited for clarity; deletions in strikethrough, additions in bold):

Far-right Republican terror poses bigger threat to US than Islamist extremism post-9/11

Since the 9/11 attack, far-right Republican extremists killed more people in the US than did American-based Islamist fundamentalists

…experts warn this is a form of terrorism that’s not only entrenched but has ballooned to become the biggest domestic security threat in the US.

But warnings of rightwing extremism have long been minimized. Attention and resources were overwhelmingly channeled into stopping al-Qaida or, later, Isis…

“It’s undeniable that federal law enforcement has underplayed and misunderstood the level of white supremacist violence, because too many LEOs support it”…

"And that’s in part because of the post-9/11 emphasis on surveillance and investigations of Muslims, immigrants and communities of color whom law enforcement views wrongly and unfairly through a security threat lens,” she added.

18 Likes

It seems to me that if you were going to send a “thank you for all you do” gift as a blatantly obvious bid for public relations you might be able to find something that doesn’t look like a faculty work week lunch and you might actually sign your name.

10 Likes

Maybe a halfway house?

5 Likes

“Goochland”

“Gooch” is common slang for perineum.
Just sayin’.

8 Likes

And I would like to hear his response to AOC’s brilliant observation of his close association to his Exxon Mobil buddies. His silence on that speaks volumes.

18 Likes

Well if Pres. Joe and Nancy aren’t worried, I think I will join them in shrugging this off.

18 Likes

You have a problem with the Taliban on the Brazos?

6 Likes

Just as an observation, all kinds of animals are preserved, and stuffed, for preservation and display purposes.
So, just asking here, can Joe Manchin get stuffed?

6 Likes

Weird phrasing for sure. Maybe referring to the pedestal being left behind? Also it implies that the women’s prison is the final destination. The linked media story says it’s just being sent there for temporary storage.

7 Likes

Which now has me now wondering…will the part of the statue that contains Lee’s gooch be the part that is shipped to Goochland?

Not the thing that I thought I’d be wondering about on a Wednesday morning.

14 Likes

Not sure. But he doesn’t seem to have much of a personality.

2 Likes

Some tainted thoughts this morning .

6 Likes

(65K)@comcast/@NBCUniversal

Was it taken out of Chuck Todd’s salary?

14 Likes

You come to The Hive. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

13 Likes