Watch As Capitol Security Chiefs Testify About Jan. 6 | Talking Points Memo

My scenario more aptly involved 2000 heavily armed National Guard on site and unleashing wave upon wave of automatic gunfire into the crowd breaching the Capitol. I have no doubt they’d have retreated at the sight of several hundred dead and dying comrades.

4 Likes

Sund is covering up Trump’s role. The “coordinated attack” that took place before the end of the rally was turned back. The barrier line was not breached until around 1:30 PM – AFTER the mob started arriving. And the Capitol Building itself was not breached until 2:15.

In other words, the capitol police was enough to hold off the “organized” attack – it was the mob that was incited by Trump that breached the line, and broke into the capitol.

10 Likes

How about helicopter gunships and Predator drones too, while you’re at it?

7 Likes

Yeah, both of the guys who identify as: Black Panthers.

This reminds me of the Monty Python bit:

“What ever happened to the Popular Front, Reg?”

“He’s over there.”

10 Likes

Herb Tarlick’s white pattent leather shoes need to be in the Smithsonian IMHO.

6 Likes

A-10 strafing runs to either side of the Capitol would have been quite effective.

4 Likes

Warthog on warthog warfare?

4 Likes

Scratch a little bit and we will find that this guy is a hard core trumptard.

7 Likes

What should the government’s reaction be to a very large, armed, violent mob breaching the Capitol while both houses of Congress and multiple other people are present, within a building in imminent danger of being ransacked or worse?

“Please, everyone, don’t do this. Just turn around and go home.”

Yeah, should have tried that I suppose.

To be fair, if they’d exploded that would have been one hell of a distraction too. Note that they did have timers.

7 Likes

According to Wiki - note that Sund’s 1:09 PM version is included as a fact right now

• 1:09 p.m.: Chief Sund asks House Sergeant at Arms Paul D. Irving and Senate Sergeant at Arms Michael C. Stenger to declare an emergency and call for deployment of the National Guard. Irving and Stenger state that they will forward the request up their chains of command. Soon afterwards, aides to Congressional leaders arrive in Stenger’s office and are outraged to learn that he has not yet called for any reinforcement.[21]
  • 1:10 p.m.: President Trump ends his speech by encouraging the crowd to march to the Capitol: “We’re going to try and give them [Republicans] the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country.”[19]
  • 1:12 p.m.: Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ) and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) object to certifying the votes made in the 2020 United States presidential election in Arizona. The joint session separates into House and Senate chambers to debate the objection.[17]
  • 1:26 p.m.: The U.S. Capitol Police order evacuation of at least two buildings in the Capitol complex, including the Cannon House Office Building and the Madison Building of the Library of Congress.[19][26][27]
  • 1:30 p.m.:
  • Capitol Police are overwhelmed and forced to retreat up the steps of the Capitol.[17]
7 Likes

Who else has been doing a comprehensive investigation of this thing? The FBI? D.C. police? I know the FBI has been arresting the rioters but I wonder if anyone’s been looking at everything else yet.

7 Likes

That would be a Kent State on steroids…and another American shame. No way any soldier shoots any civilian for any reason in America.

The assessment that shooting would have resulted in mass injury and death to law enforcement is countered by the fact that in the one case shooting was resorted to the mob retreated from that area. I have no doubt that a scenario like the one you describe is what would have been had these guys been Black and protesting a Black cause.

5 Likes

with so much information to be gleaned, why is Leahy wasting time giving a speech?

Ask yourself…when has any such hearing ever resulted in a definitive answer and a solution? Why not give a speech. Nothing else is going to happen.

2 Likes

I thought I saw it was the FBI who was getting phone records of various congress persons and staff, in particular during the seige.

4 Likes

As Leo Tolstoi explained it in “War & Peace”, Napoleon just could not live without war, and Russia was the only one left to fight with (England being an Island was unreachable). So fuck the climate, fuck the peace treaty, fuck the war weariness of his troops, he was going to invade Russia because he could not have it any other way. (Alexander the Great and Hitler shared Napoleon trait of need for perpetual war).

5 Likes

OT, but Faux News clearly coordinated a false messaging rollout to distract from this hearing and try to undermine Biden being successful fighting the virus…

Meghan McCain’s inbox from the past couple of days is no doubt full of Faux News emails…

The paid trolls are also hard at work trying to sow distrust of any vaccination. After all, if they refuse to get it, Biden can’t claim success giving it to them.

21 Likes

Ideally, they would have blockaded the approaches to the Capitol a long way away from it and forced the mob to divert. Water cannons, tear gas, and rubber bullets would have been helpful too. And if push really comes to shove, you evacuate the building and temporarily cede the space to the insurrectionists rather than massacre them, which is the entirely correct choice that they ultimately made.

16 Likes

Here we go -

Within hours of the storming of the Capitol on January 6, the FBI began securing thousands of phone and electronic records connected to people at the scene of the rioting — including some related to members of Congress, raising potentially thorny legal questions.

Using special emergency powers and other measures, the FBI has collected reams of private cellphone data and communications that go beyond the videos that rioters shared widely on social media, according to two sources with knowledge of the collection effort.

19 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available