Washington NFL Team Dropping ‘Redskins’ Name And Logo Immediately | Talking Points Memo

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Washington NFL franchise announced Monday that it will drop the “Redskins” name and Indian head logo immediately, bowing to decades of criticism that they are offensive to Native Americans.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1320130

If they’re trying to respect dead things from the past, how about the Washington “Republicans”?

14 Likes

Angry critical Trump tweet in 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 …

7 Likes

As I saw in another commentary earlier today, sometimes never comes sooner than you expect.

13 Likes

How about the ‘D.C. Squad’? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A certain someone is certainly going to have a massive meltdown from his Twitter throne today. It’s gonna be classic.

6 Likes

Good and make it completely different.

Guess hell is starting to freeze over. Hahahaha.

7 Likes

Satan is applying for LIEAP.

5 Likes

Washington Redtails, Washington Renegades and Washington Warriors have all been suggested. It would be a stretch to say 'warriors" has native American connotations. I sort of like Beltway Bastards myself.

8 Likes

Not for a team that just gave up the Redskins label. Would be seen as just papering things over.

The Washington MAGA seems to fit the owner.

2 Likes

New Washington Head Coach Ron Rivera may have had some influence on this. He may not have won a super bowl, but he is by all accounts a good man and a strong leader who inspires loyalty in a cutthroat business. His explayers gush about how they would walk through fire for him.

I can see him standing up to an objectively lousy owner like Snyder and saying, this name sound like it’s from the 19th century and has to change.

3 Likes

To be clear, this has nothing to do with Dan Snyder finally seeing that the Redskins name and logo were racist and divisive. This is all about FedEx, Nike, Pepsi, Bank of America, etc. and their money. I am at least glad that FedEx et al. finally bowed to public pressure and threats of consumer boycott.

16 Likes

The biggest lesson is the power of money. The team announced the name review a day after FedEx — a major sponsor, which owns the naming rights for the team’s stadium — said publicly it had requested a name change. FedEx also sent a letter to the team saying it would remove its signage from the stadium after the 2020 season if the name isn’t changed. That would cost Snyder about $45 million in revenue.

On the same day as FedEx’s action, Nike stopped marketing the team’s merchandise on its website. Shortly afterward, sponsors Pepsi and Bank of America called for a name change.

Native American organizations on both sides of the issue agreed that the corporate moves were decisive.

9 Likes

I’ll take it whatever way we can get it. They must be subjugated by any means necessary.

Also, I hear it is looking like the “Warriors”…

4 Likes

I am glad the money finally got around to talking.

2 Likes

The DC Colonizers would definitely be appropriate!

Here’s hoping Snyder is feeling really butt-hurt over this.

I suggest the name Washington Robber Barons to make him feel better.

5 Likes

For a guy who made his fortune in the area of communications and marketing, he sure ends up looking like a wooden spoon in the knife drawer!

6 Likes

Now that professional football is laid out on a slab there is a scramble to grab the last few million bucks.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available