Warren Goes Hard After Bloomberg And Rest Of Dem Field At Debate | Talking Points Memo

Everybody keeps saying nobody laid a glove on Bernie, but I think the Bernie bro questions and his unflinching refusal to compromise on any issue did him no good. Mayor Pete’s comment about it would be nice if either Bernie or Bloomberg was a Democrat was stinging.

His answer to the question of how to proceed if no one arrives at the convention with a clear majority was really bad for Bernie. His night wasn’t as clean as pundits want us to believe.

Warren’s strategy of being a progressive who can get things done got a big boost.

3 Likes

Might also be a pragmatist who asks who’s best for the job, because it could certainly come out the same way. Does for me!

5 Likes

I have always been a fan of Warren’s from the time she was passed over to head the Consumer Protection Agency which was her bill. I sure she can beat Trump and the added sweetener is having a woman take him on and beating him.

7 Likes

She also taught middle-schoolers. She can handle the big orange baby.

7 Likes

Yeah, cuz it was the military combat experience of the Pumpkin Traitor and Mother’s Favorite that really got them “elected.”

3 Likes

Telling, but hardly surprising, how many people end up pointing out his essentially infantile nature. It’s inescapable, the paramount fact about him.

2 Likes

You want to put $50 on whether Warren and Klobushar could get elected? I won’t dismiss your loss this time. American politics, being what it is, Warren is going to have to over compensate by having some credible man who is perceived as strong on defense if she gets the nomination. Two women on the ticket are not going to be elected. If you check my record I’m certainly no fan of the military. I think I’m being realistic about the possibilities of two women being elected at this point in history. If Warren got the nomination and wanted a female running mate she would do better if she chose Harris, Susan Rice, Val Deming as Vice rather than Klobushar.
You must not have liked the slogan. Maybe I should have added a wink for you sensitive types.

Well that explains why Trump is President so I think I’ll go with the latter also.

1 Like

No way America elects a black man as president. No need to explain why. Will never ever happen.

It certainly won’t happen this go round.

1 Like

If anyone had any doubts about Warren taking on Trump, those worries should be laid to rest. She destroyed Bloomberg and if she gets the nomination and Trump is stupid enough to engage her in a debate, she will do the same with him. She can be relentless and Trump would not know what hit him.

11 Likes

I thought the debate went pretty much as anticipated; everyone going after Bloomberg, Biden needing a breakout performance (not sure that happened), Warren needing a haymaker (I thought she did particularly well), Sanders looking like the lead dog (?), and Amy and Pete kind of staying in their centrist lane. I was surprised by the level of fire but am not surprised by the sense of urgency most of the candidates felt.
I was a Warren supporter before the “debate” and remain so.

4 Likes

I don’t know if it’ll be reflected in the caucus outcome or polls, but Warren clearly reestablished herself as one of the two front runners last night. The others came across as kind of small and petty, especially Bloomberg. I think that Klobuchar ruined whatever boost she got from the previous debate.

3 Likes

Haha good laugh line but he lost the popular by millions of votes, which complicates any statement that he’s what the society as a whole wants.

1 Like

I also prefer the latter approach. It’s a balancing act to be sure, lest our candidates end up like Grahams or Rubios saying the other guy is going to destroy the country and then licking his boots when he actually does it.

But the fight is what we want. We aren’t going to be keeping our aprons clean on this one-- eggs will be broken in the fight against Trump, so we should at least have a few scrimmages first. Not to mention that Democrats, unlike Republicans, are factional and airing our grievances with each other is part of the healing process before we can align with someone who only checks 10 of our 12 boxes.

Maybe, but then how did Obama and Biden get elected twice?

For that matter, how about Trump and Pence? Bush and Cheney?

It’s different for men? Even those with no real military background?

Not an implausible assertion, obviously, but I’m wondering if it’s what you mean.

It’s an open question whether he’ll be debating anyone when the time comes but yeah, she’s a scrapper, very alert and quick-witted, and genuinely passionate about her main subjects. I never understood the relative lack of enthusiasm for her here. She’d scatter him across three counties if he tried to debate her.

13 Likes

Some voters prefer angry demagogues, others sunny optimists. So long as the latter also seems tough, they usually beat the former. Which has what to do with 2016, is everyone’s guess.

1 Like

Biden had extensive foreign policy cred. It is different for men. The double standard is sickening. Bush/Cheney had Daddy Bush and his crew behind them. I can come up with no logical explanation for Trump/Pence. I meant what I said.

1 Like

Can you imagine him pulling the stalking maneuver with her?

“Donald! Get back in your seat!”

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available