Walz Shows His Real Guy Roots As He Skewers Republicans’ Definition Of Freedom

Originally published at: Walz Shows His Real Guy Roots As He Skewers Republicans’ Definition Of Freedom

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz was given a euphoric reception as he walked out on stage as the headliner on the third night of the Democratic National Convention, officially accepting his nomination as the vice presidential candidate. He delivered a short, snappy speech, taking listeners through his upbringing, entry into politics and his accomplishments since then. …

Alex Wagner said it best, Tim Walz’s speech was an episode of Ted Lasso.

29 Likes

Tim Walz, America’s dad. Or America’s coach. Your choice. His family made me cry. What a wonderful story.

37 Likes

Tim Walz’s kids actually love him.

48 Likes

56 Likes

“Never estimate a public school teacher,” Walz said.

Typo @TPM_Prime

15 Likes

Yeah, super BIG typo.

8 Likes

Man, Walz killed that speech. It was an efficient, muscular defense of liberalism and skewering of GOP extremism. You’ll be hard pressed to find another speech that meets this bar.

Each day of this convention has been incredible. Day 3 probably had the most consistency among speakers from start to finish.

49 Likes

Tim Walz is America’s fun uncle.

14 Likes

"If by a Liberal they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people - their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties - someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a Liberal, then I’m proud to say I’m a Liberal.” – John F. Kennedy, Profiles in Courage

40 Likes

Whereas no one, anywhere, in 78 years, has actually loved Donald Trump. And somewhere in the shriveled rag of his “soul,” he knows it.

29 Likes

I’m a life-long Democrat. I no longer recognize my party. Where’s the divisiveness? Where’s the drama? Why aren’t we in disarray? What is even happening?

55 Likes

Every time I have seen the Harris-Emhoff and Walz families, I have been struck by the genuine sense that they are fond of each other. The spouses actually admire their spouses, and it shows. The kids admire and respect their parents, and they have every reason to do so. (The same is true of the Biden family, notwithstanding Hunter’s personal problems.) I really felt for Gus Walz, clearly bursting with pride at seeing his father on that stage, and the approval of the crowd — I can only imagine that it was literally overwhelming.

Every time I see the Trump “family,” it seems like a rerun of all the worst episodes of Survivor. They would all stab each other in the back in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it.

46 Likes

I had not known until very recently that Gus is nuero diverse. The fact that the entire family simply relates to one another in public, in the diverse ways that they all do, is beautiful. And I feel confident that if those Republican monsters come after Gus’s “weirdness,” or any other aspect of his family, Coach Tim will make them wish they had never been born.

39 Likes

As good as the speech was, his family’s outpouring of love spoke volumes.

29 Likes

RE: JM’s DAY THREE: Walz “complements Harris, tonally, culturally. This was the right call.”
For me, while Harris/Walz have vastly different backgrounds, they both have life stories centered on service and community, rather than individual self-aggrandizement and power.

Everyone knows people like Walz. They are teachers, coaches, nurses, ministers, social workers, and almost never politicians. Harris/Walz should lean into their community service good-neighbor life-stories, which provide the greatest contrast to Trump/Vance. This community service focus also best immunizes them from the vicious Maga attacks/ Swift Boating, revealing their attackers as the self-serving bullies they are.

32 Likes

Ditto, and it’s marvelous.

16 Likes

Yes, this is Voldemort from the last Harry Potter movie, but an appropriate place-holder for Trump’s “rag” of a soul.

12 Likes

I started noting the Dem cohesiveness when Hakeem Jeffries was repeatedly voted UNANIMOUSLY as Speaker of House during the Kevin McCarthy speakership debacle. This week just topped those feelings for me, also, as a life-long Dem.

17 Likes

Walz may be new to the national stage, but he’s a first rate public speaker who knows how to communicate with his audience on several levels at once.

30 Likes