Walkie Talkie App Zello Boots Boots Channels After Evidence Of Use In Capitol Siege | Talking Points Memo

The popular walkie talkie app Zello said Wednesday that it had deleted more than 2,000 channels “associated with militias and other militarized social movements” in light of evidence that users had employed the app during the storming of the U.S. Capitol last week.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1354652

In real life you don’t get to restart from the last save point. Did these clowns think they were voice chatting on call of duty?

21 Likes

Zello appears shocked that bad guys using their bad app for bad things committed bad acts. Oh to be a fainting couch distributor in DC right now…

14 Likes

“We are in the main dome right now,” the Zello user, who the reporters determined was likely the Ohio-based militia member Jessica Watkins, said through the walkie talkie app.

“We are rocking it,” Watkins reportedly said. “They’re throwing grenades, they’re frickin’ shooting people with paintballs, but we’re in here.”

“God bless and Godspeed. Keep going,” a male Zello user on the channel responded.

“Jess, do your shit,” another voice chimed in. “This is what we fucking lived up for. Everything we fucking trained for.”

I wonder how long messages get retained on their system.

11 Likes

Yes. Pretty much exactly that.

8 Likes

I wonder if these clowns are getting the message that the authorities are taking names and maybe they’d better lawyer up. The gated communities are waiting for you… :rofl:

11 Likes

Hmm why did Zello create such a thing? For 9 year olds to play Army?

4 Likes

Image is striking for the multiple rainbow flags and deadhead tattoo… Never thought I’d see a Gadsden flag snake with the rainbow flag behind it.

Actually, it’s the app of choice for emergency rescuers. I’m guessing it could be used by sports teams, city workers, etc., or any number of groups that need to be in contact.

4 Likes

I fail to understand why this guy and his defenders claim to be part of a superior race…

8 Likes

“We are rocking it,” Watkins reportedly said. “They’re throwing grenades, they’re frickin’ shooting people with paintballs, but we’re in here.”…why would the cops have paintball guns?

2 Likes

B…b…b…b…b…but First amendment!

Again, the feels of something not quite right.

“Jess, do your shit,” another voice chimed in. “This is what we fucking lived up for. Everything we fucking trained for.”

It does sound like some sort of World of Warcraft session and not an organized body of mature and dead serious insurrectionists. Just gets weirder the more you see. Then add in all the self-documenting and it gets even more so.

3 Likes

I wonder if we could stop calling these Y’all Qaeda groups “militias”. That term had specific meaning when it was used in the 2nd Amendment and allowing Meal Team Six to apply it to themselves gives them credibility and stature they do not deserve.

“Terrorist Cells” would work for me. Also “Military LARP Cosplay Fetish Support Groups”. Maybe “Ammosexual Swingers Clubs”?

7 Likes

Or these.

8 Likes

“Really, you trained to storm the Capitol and attempt to overthrow the government? Well, here’s the FBI to ask you for a few details about that training…”

I guess we should be glad that these idiots have no idea how social media works and that everything is saved on a server or witnessed by others. We have to worry that they will start to work around it and compartmentalize though…if they are smart enough to develop in to a real insurgency things will get worse.

4 Likes

If they really wanted to avoid their service being used during the inauguration, they would have waited until the morning of to yank those channels. Giving them a week of lead time means they’ll just recreate their channels under new names and get everyone back in by then (if those same folks are actually going to try something).

They really do look at the Secret Service as the “Help”.

7 Likes

I really miss the days when our terrorists weren’t a bunch of bragging blabber-mouths with no clue of what a plan is.

2 Likes

Bored people having fun.

TrumpWorld people are having the time of their lives.

My Dad, whose detail at Normandy Beach was counting up casualties, is mercifully no longer with me.

10 Likes