Wailing And Gnashing Of Teeth: Trumpers React To Draft ‘Audit’ Report Showing Biden Win | Talking Points Memo

OMG. I just remembered, perhaps not entirely accurately but close enough, an episode of “Petticoat Junction” where they end up in a beatnik club somehow and people are reciting poetry, so the mom gets up on stage and sits on a stool, strums a guitar chord at random intervals, and declaims “Mairzy Doats” in this very serious, pretentious tone whereupon the place goes wild with applause and cheering. :smile:

3 Likes

We hope you don’t remember that hit piece on Sotomayor , but did you know the journalist who wrote it likes a soft boiled egg every morning and has a golden retriever named Skipper?

4 Likes

It gets worse. The campaign has a motto: “The Truth Takes a Journalist.” :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Maybe you could even turn her into a newt, then. :wink:

4 Likes

…to twist it all up

Ah, thanks fer that, @occamscoin–it’s good to know I’ve still got a few woiking bwain sells left! :smirk: :mask:

1 Like

8 Likes

Yes.

It’s distressing to still hear pundits ask (themselves): “Why would Trump want an audit in Texas, where he won?”

Duh. Thanks so much for making the point : - )

3 Likes

No doubt he doesn’t. To the degree he’s rich, he’s a thief. I don’t think he’s a particularly good thief.

His fortune is to have a deep psychosis under circumstances where he starts life with a lot of money, and uses it to generate notoriety and “cooler-talk”. The Presidency is the ultimate platform for him. He can command presence on virtually every platform throughout a big chunk of the world pretty much whenever he says, “Boo.”

On top of that, add the support he wants or needs for his Talk-O-The-Hour, from a huge chunk of other platforms under his control, and a huge number of still other mediums provided by Russia.

He can’t generate the media power on his own.

3 Likes

He was always, always, always a fake. According to Rick Wilson, a hedge-fund guy once said of him, “He’s not a billionaire. I’m a billionaire. Trump’s a clown, living on credit.” The only thing he was ever really successful at was his TV show, because what he’s good at is pretending to be rich and powerful. Billionaires don’t sell steaks and bottled water. I would bet a considerable part of my own modest means that he doesn’t have anywhere near a positive net worth. It’s all a house of cards. That’s not a good place for a windbag to live.

6 Likes

He who dies with the biggest debt wins.

3 Likes

It’s a house of cards but he’s still sitting on something like 200 million in PAC money that AFAIK can’t be touched in personal civil lawsuits and he can spend on himself with very few limitations. From the look of his recent rallies at cheapskate venues like fairgrounds, he’s not spending much of it. Might even be breaking even or better by grifting off his cut of the merch sales.

We’ll know he’s in serious financial trouble when he starts selling off the major real estate assets like the golf resorts and hotels (the ones where he hasn’t just licensed the name). That hasn’t happened yet.

2 Likes

I didn’t hear “He has a positive net worth” in there.

4 Likes

He’s been trying. No takers. Perhaps you mean when we start seeing capitulation-type deals happening? But some properties are just turkeys, money-losing “alligators” in real estate wheeler-dealer speak. Those can’t be sold unless there’s something else in the deal, such as mending relations with an angry neighbor country threatening to dump their nuclear waste on your border.

3 Likes

Hey, I wouldn’t be surprised if his whole “empire” collapsed tomorrow. Thing is, I’ve been hearing about how he’s bankrupt and about to land in debtor’s prison for years now, and yet he’s still flying in his Citation bizjet to rallies, and keeping the lights on at Mar a Lago and his resorts.

That $200 million in his PAC is nothing to sneeze at either, and he has the entire RNC and Trump campaign mailing list for grifting donations to his PAC. That’s not going away tomorrow unless he spends it all.

2 Likes

I think it’s certainly fair to say he has plenty of experience at robbing Peter to pay Paul and just generally staying afloat. And I’m curious why he’s being so, uh, thrifty with all that PAC money. It must drive him nuts to be going to these cheesy fairgrounds out in the sticks instead of the big arenas he used to. Why does he do it, then? I’m not predicting his imminent collapse, certainly. I don’t have any idea how much money he has to spend. I’m just figuring he’s lived all his life by making bad decisions and borrowing to stay in the game.

3 Likes

Helps that every time he rolls over a loan someone gets a commission on the new loan. Works great as long as you’re lending other people’s money™.

4 Likes

Even the TV show wasn’t really his success. Pretty much every “inside” story made it clear that he spouted a bunch of random crap that got turned into something resembling a sensible narrative by heroic editing and lots of B-roll.

He’s good at pretending to be what a certain kind of resentment-filled person thinks they would want to be like if they were rich and powerful.

5 Likes

It has to be because the narcissism needs feeding at regular intervals. He needs those adoring crowds. And I’ll bet he’s close to breaking even on merch sales at these cheapskate events. He doesn’t let his name be used anywhere without a cut of the sales.

4 Likes

I did a quick search and the Georgia rally this weekend was estimated at around 8,000 people, so not exactly a tiny crowd, just a cheap venue. Also, while general admission was free, he’s grifting on VIP attendees:

A copy of the invitation obtained by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution said that donors could purchase individual tickets for $1,500 or couples tickets priced at $2,500 to the “unique and exclusive” event.

Tickets will include private bathrooms. reserved parking, expedited entry, food and beverage in an air-conditioned tent and admittance to a pre-rally reception with Perdue.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available