Vaccine Skepticism And A Failed Coup: How Disinformation Is Striking Back

Vaccine skepticism has been overblown, and is going to be used as an excuse. ‘Back in XXXX no one wanted the vaccine so we didn’t order enough.’

2 Likes

Rachel Maddow has Dr. David Kessler on talking about what the Biden administration is going to do. He gave a count of what’s been shipped to the federal government by Moderna and Pfizer, totaling nearly 30 million doses. He said it will be the first thing they do is determine where they are. He said they will get an accounting and feels they just aren’t accurately tracking what’s in freezers.

He sounded like he already had a handle on the situation, so fingers crossed.

7 Likes

Um… where did it go? Sold to the highest private bidder?

6 Likes

And the ones who end up dying in a hospital while screaming that the virus was not real? What the frak are we suppose to do with these fools?

2 Likes

A recent Wall Street Journal survey reported that up to 72 percent of certified nurse assistants don’t want the COVID-19 vaccine.

This doesn’t sound accurate.

1 Like

The immutable rule in both silicon and carbon based life forms: GIGO. Garbage In, Garbage Out. Inequality depends on this. Our society will only get more stratified between those who can process and act on accurate timely information and those who can’t. Too bad we have to live with all the masses who don’t and can’t.

3 Likes

maybe the 6 dedicated CIVID units at my hospital have been more convincing for nurses here…'cuz we’re vaccinating staff night and day. side effects? sore shoulder, itchy eyes and mild joint pain ,mostly with the second shot. No big deal

2 Likes

Well, it is the WSJ…

Lesson 1. Don’t go to any conference in Florida.

3 Likes

We have ways if we have the will to use them.
Screaming “FIRE” in a crowd or otherwise Inciting panic without cause is non protected speech. Screaming " Voter fraud" when none exists should be similar.

2 Likes

“Learning isn’t compulsive.
Neither is survival.” - Demming

Give it time… It’s been a long while since our species had a biological selection pressure upon it.

1 Like

For the 17th time, this is NOT “skepticism.” Skepticism means the person might doubt, but is persuadable. Same with climate “skepticism.” In both cases, it is deliberate dismissal based on rigid ideology.

And in some cases, I’m not even sure they doubt the efficacy of vaccines. Rather, they are like the Joker: they get their insane jollies by sowing chaos and destruction, even if it includes themselves. They live such shitty, empty lives that there is probably a suicidal component to it; the problem is that they have to take the rest of us with them out of hatred and revenge.

6 Likes

I am saddened and disappointed by the lack of critical thought among so many people (friends and family included). As we see here, magical thinking isn’t confined to trumpers trumpeting fraud. I wish I had a way to simultaneously cuff millions of people in the head and convince them to apply Sagan’s baloney detection kit to their wild claims. Alas, the best I can do at the moment, is to reach out to those magical thinkers close to me with the gentlest wisdom I can muster and hopefully implant at least some doubt.

3 Likes

I hear that if you wear one 12 hours a day like I do that you should be careful with the garlic…

1 Like

Dr. Kessler is an excellent choice for this job. Getting a vaccine like this isn’t as simple as we might expect. Both vaccines are a new type and require special handling (ultra low freezers). I hope the shots aren’t sitting warm on a shipping dock somewhere.

3 Likes

I can attest that many (but far from all) people who end up in the hospital with COVID complications are stupid slobs, lol. Cough right in your face w/ no attmpt to cover up. Attempt to refuse to wear their mask when staff in the room.

1 Like

Any good scientist should be a bit of a skeptic. As in “show me the evidence”. It’s baked into the fabled “scientific method”. So it’s not necessarily a bad thing as you indicate. But insane conspiracy theory is something else entirely
Trump is the branch of our current insanity, the root being how he was enabled by right wing media and his addiction to social media (twitter, instagram, facebook etc). Few there were who seriously called out his tens of thousands of lies anywhere in the various information outlets.
Hopefully when trump is gone the country can begin its decade or two of healing.

3 Likes

i will watch CNN, MSBNC… i also watch local news…there was a piece on GMA the other day about people coming to Florida for the vaccine…it is called’ vaccine tourism’…i took it with a grain of salt until it hit local tv and was confirmed by people who had travelled here for the vaccine… add to that…our Rep. GOV, DESANTIS denied it was happening…that made it true…seniors are standing in line for hours and this S.O, B. allows out-of - state people to get the vaccine, me. i’m hunkering down and wearing the mask…i’ve been doing it for a year so its become a way of life.

2 Likes

Yes, and he’s no doubt having a pretty thorough psych eval done, too. There are not too many forensic neuropsych practitioners available…

1 Like

i really miss batboy.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available