Vaccine Advisory Panel Resumes Deliberation Over J&J COVID Vaccine Pause | Talking Points Memo

A federal vaccine advisory committee continued its deliberations on Friday over whether or not it should lift its recommendation for a pause on administering doses of Johnson & Johnson’s single-shot coronavirus vaccine. The pause was issued after reports earlier this month that six women developed a life-threatening blood-clotting condition after getting the vaccine in recent weeks.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1371179

What Would RoJo Do?

3 Likes

God damn it, beat me by one minute.

But fine.

“But what does Ron Johnson think about it?”

2 Likes

Whatever the Russians tell him.

" crickets "

3 Likes

“Okay you hem and then I’ll haw.”

3 Likes

So far all women. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say, if anything, about the commonality.

1 Like

That men in general don’t go to the doctor, so they’re just as likely to be experiencing symptoms but reach for another Bud Light instead of going to the doctor.

2 Likes

So they’re gonna continue the pause for women until contributing factors (and effective therapies) are understood, while reauthorizing it as the rebranded ”He-Men-Only-No-Women-Allowed!” vaccine targeted at red-state, I-ain’t-afraid-of-no-needles, manly men?

(Just don’t tell them the women are getting all the good stuff in the meantime.)

5 Likes

Except for this.

All of the confirmed cases reported were in women, including three who died and seven who remain in the hospital,

Men don’t get too choose to die or have severe complications.

1 Like

They’re calling it the men-o-pause.

3 Likes

Point being that they may well be kicking the bucket left and right, and we’d never know.

Okay it’s Politico, but if this is accurate, then it looks like the J&J is going to be effectively sidelined by the Biden administration no matter what the decision is today. Due to a bunch of factors; not just the clots but also all the production problems they’ve had.

Some of the problems J&J has faced are failures of management or oversight; others appear to be pure bad luck. But the chaos has disappointed the Biden team, which once argued that the company’s one-dose vaccine would be central to turning the tide of the pandemic. Instead, the administration has concluded that the company can’t be counted on for any significant production until it gets the green light from regulators to resume vaccination, according to two sources.

Federal officials say they have enough doses from Pfizer and Moderna to vaccinate all American adults. But officials are hopeful that J&J can iron out its problems and still be of use for booster shots down the line, and for immunization in other countries as the U.S. ramps up its vaccine diplomacy.

2 Likes

Seriously, I have my doubts.

1 Like

The women also got the standard treatment for blood clots, which in this case makes things worse. That’s why the pause happened, because going to the doctor in this case may literally have been the thing that killed them.

1 Like

Bud Light has anti-coagulant properties!? Who knew?

Makes it good for something, I guess.

2 Likes

Pretty much everyone.

Personally, I recommend Tequila as a better medicine for covid in general.

:joy: :joy: :rofl:

You expect me to believe that Bud Light contains alcohol.

5 Likes

Fair point. Wouldn’t touch that swill myself.

2 Likes

I get your drift, but there are 4 vaccines, all on Emergency Use, I would think medical community would be on alert for anyone who died within a certain time period of receiving one of these shots. But I try to think ahead, hard to say what if anything is really happening.

I go to the Doc 4 times a year, just because he is a nice guy, beside the fact he writes my pprescription. Last year he was the only person I visited. And from what I saw I may have been the only person who visited him. He was only in the office in the mornings.

1 Like

They would be, but only if they get a person in the hospital and can review the history. If some guy ignored his headache and died at home, never going to make it into the literature.

Given the rarity of the occurrence, really do expect this would explain why we aren’t seeing cases with males, joking aside.

1 Like