VA AG To Investigate Police Pepper Spraying A Black Army Medic During Traffic Stop

Training for police in the US averages around 18 weeks. In the EU it is more than one year.
You get what you pay for.

11 Likes

When your self-esteem is based solely on “at least I’m better than blacks,” and that viewpoint is then challenged by other white folks, you feel like your very existence is in danger.

I = ego = existence

But it just isn’t true. If you read the writings of KKK’s who left the group, you’ll see what I mean.

4 Likes

Who the hell thinks some sort of emergency vehicle behind them with lights blaring is OK with them wanting to pull to the side somewhere THEY feel safe in doing so? It’s night time, for all a driver knows those lights are attached to an ambulance, or a vehicle needing them to pull to the side to clear the road so they can proceed to some emergency wholly unrelated to them. You’re trained in driver ed to pull to the side of the road when any sort of vehicle with lights and/or sirens is coming up behind you. Now. At that moment and place on the road. You’re not trained to do so when you find someplace you find convenient and more to your liking.

There’s also that other old saw: Garbage in, garbage out. Is it another factor?

If X ≠ Y, and you train X for eighteen weeks and Y for more than a year, what do you get?

2 Likes

The one in the back car window was clearly visible in the brightly lit gas station, as seen on the body cam video of one of the officers. At which point, if he was a white dude, they would have probably said “sorry, didn’t see your temp plate, have a good evening”.

7 Likes

Were there cars coming in the oncoming lane?
Could the police vehicle have passed after the Lt. Had slowed down?

Thanks, as always, for elaborating.

Counterpoint: Cops go years without drawing either weapon.

4 Likes

Counter-counterpoint: if cops on a force can go years without even practicing drawing their weapon at a range or simulation training, that represents a collapse in management and leadership.

7 Likes

None of that matters. You pull to the side of the road and stop when any sort of police or emergency vehicle approaches you from behind with lights and/or sirens activated. That is the law. Refusing or failing to do so is breaking a traffic law, making you prone to enhanced scrutiny and/or arrest for failing to do so. If you proactively INVITE the police to scrutinize and detain you you have also unnecessarily exposed yourself to any mistakes or adverse actions such detention sometimes, unfortunately, generates.

Yeah well I’m white so I don’t have to do any of that crap./s

1 Like

Yep! Cops are generally pretty poor at such things, particularly suburban and rural departments. Outside of “This is your taser and this is your sidearm,” I doubt she has ever spent more than a minute training to get which one is which.

5 Likes

We should expect our police officers to receive at least as much continuing training as airline pilots and railroad engineers.

And if an engineer runs a red light or a pilot lands without extending the flaps that can well be a career ending move even if there were no other consequences.

5 Likes

What was interesting to me about your question was that you indeed came up with a sort of “gender-based” argument that hadn’t occurred to me (I was more focused on the sort of “gut reaction” level), but which, I am sure, will occur to many others.

2 Likes

Meh. Who really reads the articles, anyway…? :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

So, per the story, this event occurred in December.

Anyone want to speculate as to why the announcement of this investigation wasn’t made the day after or even the week after, instead of four months later?

2 Likes

Two comments:

• AG Mark Herring is a good guy (he’s also a Democrat), and I don’t doubt that his office will do a good job on this.
  • This is also an election year for Herring, and he has an opponent in the primary (voting starts in 10 days), who is a Black guy. Although I think Herring would have had his Department step in to investigate this in any other year–I think this is clearly a case for the AG’s department, not the local yokels–there will be some who see this as a political move. From a political perspective, it definitely does not hurt Herring to be seen doing this.

It may seem I’m suggesting that Herring is doing this just for political reasons, but I don’t. I do think someone else may say so, though.

3 Likes

Someone wrote on another thread: the policewoman IS a trainer for her department. That, honestly, makes the ‘mistake’ even worse.

@txlawyer

5 Likes

One would hope that a year would be enough time to weed out the “bad apples.” Get rid of them before they’re taken under the protective wing of the police union. :angry:

2 Likes

We’ve just been through 4 years of Donald Trump encouraging police to wallow in their worst instincts. “Don’t be so nice”, “Rough 'em up a little”. At the same time, he was calling white supremacists Patriots and taking out full page ads against the (totally exonerated) Central Park 5. It doesn’t take much more than this to unleash people’s worst behaviors

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available