VA AG To Investigate Police Pepper Spraying A Black Army Medic During Traffic Stop

That is a picture of a taser. But it does not appear to be a picture of her taser.

(Not that the color would be anywhere close to dispositive, mind you.)

2 Likes

Dick pic!!!

(PK not TC)

There is a lot more victim-blaming and submission to authority here at TPM than I would have expected. There were many opportunities in both recent incidents for the police to de-escalate the situation and in both cases the police chose instead to draw weapons. “Just do what they tell you” is not an appropriate response to that if we want a civil society, and it reeks of privilege. It feeds into the idea that police have absolute authority over their fellow citizens, with no responsibility to exercise judgment or treat those they encounter with respect.

Sometimes people use “respect” to mean “treating someone like a person” and sometimes to mean “treating someone like an authority”

For some, “if you don’t respect me, I won’t respect you” means “if you don’t treat me like an authority, I won’t treat you like a person” (Twitter @math_rachel)

6 Likes

when my kids were learning to drive, i drummed into their heads…you do not pull over. ever, on a dark night, especially now…you have no idea who that is behind you…and, sometimes there simply is not a good place to pull over…not every road has wide shoulder.unless there is oncoming traffic…emergency vehicles can pass.

1 Like

Putting them into separate squad cars and telling them not to talk to one another wouldn’t obscure accountability or serve to ‘protect themselves’, though. It’d guarantee any discrepancies in their stories don’t get smoothed out before talking to investigators. As for the body cams… that one seems pretty questionable, but without knowing what the recording length for the cam in use at the time was, I dunno. Maybe turning it off was part of the ‘saves the footage to archive so nobody can get at it’?

Ben Crump’s a good guy, and he’s sincere, but there’s a danger of getting out over his skis here, like Al Sharpton did w/Tawana Brawley.

[quote=“bloomingpeonie, post:77, topic:205807”]
I believe that Gutierrez was looking for “trouble” with intent to threaten, intimidate & subjugate the driver.

He told the veteran he should be afraid sounds like intent to harm was uppermost in his mind. He followed that up with specific action he intended “you’re gonna ride white lightening tonight”

This is southern racist statement referring to electrocution!

exactly…i haven’t heard that phrase since i left TENN, it is so ‘white trash’ racist talk…unless you have lived in some of these places…you have no idea some of the people are like.

2 Likes

Word is that that police dept. is famous for stoping out of towners for bullshit offences and issuring tickets, knowing most won’t come back to fight it in court as a source of revenue

4 Likes

3 Likes

Often we see what you describe and think what we’ve watched is unwarranted. But many times, as the cop is following the car, he’s already called in the plate and discovered the owner of the car has outstanding warrants, sometimes for serious or violent felonies, including rape, murder, armed robbery, etc. Sure, to us it appears the cop is sure as hell going overboard on his initial contact with someone that he’s observed running stop signs or driving erratically. Little do we know he’s following someone suspected of a very serious crime. Just the type of person that is desperate to avoid arrest, and possibly armed.

Here in California, private security guards are required to have 40 hours of training.

To pack heat, they have to have an additional 14 hours of training. (Not a typo).

That gives me high confidence? NOT!

3 Likes

It is image of MN LEO standard issue taser. I have no reason to believe ANY officer in MN would have a different one.

Great!
Smart.
She gets to keep her pension.

This would be covered if the driver calls 911 and keeps them on the phone. As it was explained to me the driver calls 911 to check that a police office is in the area, that the officer has radioed in to the station that they are attempting a stop on such and such street or section of highway. The 911 operator is the link between the cop and the driver.

There is no statewide standard. Cops are equipped with whatever their department issues them, and there are many different models for departments and their officers to choose from.

And if there isn’t a lit, safe place for several miles of road

Puleeze, every cop car and emergency vehicle I’ve ever encountered has a vary large, LOUD bull horn. 1. they don’t want to get killed when they get out of their vehicle due to oncoming traffic. 2. In Ca. at least, CHP officers are immediately fired if they attempt to engage the motorist on the drivers side (too many dead ones i hear)

Therefore every encounter I’ve had involves them telling me repeatedly when and where to pull over as they flash their lights and ride my bumper.

I can see Jackie Gleason right now…

Many upthread contend it’s not the officer’s call as to where and when you pull over. It’s the driver’s prerogative to do as they please, it’s their judgment that dictates the situation, the tailing police officer can just cool his heels and wait.

That’s one hell of a twisting of the idea that you don’t pull over where it’s unsafe to do so, and you should make a reasonable attempt to pull over in a well-lit place, for your own safety and that of the cop. The cop has a responsibility to public safety, and not to expect or compel you to do something unsafe.

Someone comes up behind you flashing lights on a dark road in the middle of the night, it’s probably a cop, but it might just be a guy with bubblegum who’s considering wearing your hair as a wig.

3 Likes

I’m white and female in an upscale car; probably why I get the ‘courtesy’ call over the bull horn.
I’m pretty sure that most LEOs with just a tiny bit of common sense can recognize a slowly driving car and the attendant head swiveling from the driver as a sign of someone looking for a pull off space.
With that said, seeing a driver looking straight ahead and not slowing down sends a whole different massage. I’m pretty sure they can tell the difference.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available