US Bets On Untested Company To Deliver COVID-19 Vaccine | Talking Points Memo

I have vigorously shaken my Magic Eight Ball.

It now says “ABSOLUTE FUCKING DISASTER”.

9 Likes

HHS Assistant Secretary of Public Affairs Michael Caputo, when questioned about the deal, stated, “You liberal members of the media know nothing! You should see the bigly beautiful results we are getting from clinical trials in Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook!!!”

3 Likes

I hope it’s the same fine company that brought electricity back to Puerto Rico.

4 Likes

Re: the impending shortage of syringes/needles. If only there were some way for the President to make their manufacture a priority…we might call it something like the “Defense Production Act.” https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/15666. But then I suppose I’m asking too much.

12 Likes

Reducing the cost of vaccines in developing countries is critical and a number of companies, including ApiJect, have looked at different technologies to make this happen. These include jet injectors, ultrasound devices, patches, dissolvable microneedles, and others. The problem they all have is that the price point of a traditional needle and syringe is 4.5 cents - that is what the traditional needle and syringe cost to distribute, fill and use. These novel devices all add more than 4.5 cents to the costs of vaccines and that is one reason none have been adopted. Add to that, the cost of filling this device at point of manufacture (warming the small blister component and transferring a small amount of vaccine into each and then sealing) and the cost increases substantially. Plus, the manufacturer has to change their whole production line to accommodate this final step. These are not trivial processes. And they are not FDA approved, which puts the manufacturer on the hook. So, like many of the Trump admin’s hair-brained schemes, they have not thought this through. In a pandemic, you want to keep things as simple and traditional as possible and get the product out as soon as you can. It would be better to just invest in making more needles and syringes.

12 Likes

This avoidance logic is stupefying. Because where is the DPA for PPE? He wants schools to open, then schools are going to need more masks.

2 Likes

Frankly, I think they won the grand prize after appearing on Shark Tank. Donnie first caught them while watching TV late one night. He ordered the Pentagon to buy their product and soon after called his broker to buy stock in the company…“buy low and sell high”…and told him to keep him informed. Who knew ordering up vaccine delivery systems could be so easy?

3 Likes

Before Trump, I used to be a Vaxxer. Now, I’m a probable anti-vaxxer.

1 Like

You think these injectors are dubious, just wait until you learn what goes in the syringes.

4 Likes

Please. That’s new ShamWow vaccinator overlords.

4 Likes

DPA has recordkeeping and auditors, so, no go.

3 Likes

By Gawd you have struck upon an epic Chump-Style comeback for ShamWow guy.
But I think this epidemic and our medical needs lean more towards the SlapChop!

I was going to make a joke that he still has all his fingers, but this pic I found was even funnier. Too bad. Chump likes swindler pitchmen who still have all their digits.

Great post.

No Republican is capable of even considering the work of any complex public build. They DO have the aptitude for complex scams and destruction, but completely wilt at the idea of actually having to do the foundational thinking and planning, let alone the physical execution and taking responsibility for functionality. Dems have built the only public things that ever counted or worked or lasted in this country, and they committed to every step of the process including spending the political capital to make it happen, and decades of maintenance and vigilance.

Rs go for the easy way out even if they ARE trying to at least be responsible to their oath and office. And that isn’t often. They will do the buddy-buddy lite graft, or pay thru the nose (using taxpayer money) to get out of a jam. But with Chump, there is no path for any of these govt. officials to even attempt to do right. With Chump, there isn’t a straight line anywhere. Every single thing is crooked. Decency or competency stands out like a sore thumb and someone in Chump’s orbit soon shows up to see how it can be stamped out or siphoned into their pockets.

If nothing else, your doing good makes him look bad or highlights truth (like The Pandemic Is Real). Truth and Chump are like matter/antimatter.

4 Likes

Good to learn about this. Experts are available to help with these matters after Biden is elected. Hell, many are available at companies like Sanofi, etc.

Temperature control is likely very important during vaccine production and that includes when it’s added to syringes. I hear some of the newer vaccines must be stored in dry ice. So these syringes that come out of production hot might not even be appropriate.

4 Likes

No problem. The first day of class, everyone has to bring an old tee shirt, a pair of scissors, and a ruler to class. The teacher will show one of the zillion how-to-make-masks-out-of tee-shirts videos and voila! It’s protect yourselves with your old tee shirts, kids. Can’t expect the government to do more than pack you into COVID petri dishes to get the economy humming again so Trumpty Dumpty can cruise to victory.

3 Likes

…at the center of a dumpster fire!

3 Likes

Sad to say, I’ll be watching for other countries to approve a vaccine before I sign up. Used to be the other way around, but I have no faith in the FDA on this topic

4 Likes

I imagine it will be another example of buying a few million plastic bottle preforms and expecting that they will be a-ok if used for COVID testing vials.

5 Likes

Sounds like a Turnip follower… take billions and turn in into pennies…

2 Likes

More like paranoid and unhinged.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available