U.S. Reports 213,000 New COVID Infections Amid Deadliest Three-Day Stretch Of Pandemic So Far | Talking Points Memo

The United States continued to break coronavirus records on Thursday, reporting nearly 213,000 new infections in its single worst day since the pandemic began — a tally that was met by yet another daily tally of more than 2,5000 COVID-19 deaths in the nation’s deadliest three-day stretch since the pandemic began. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1347583

At some point even the deniers are going to know people who died. Maybe then it will seem real to them and they’ll start to treat it seriously.

7 Likes

Nah, for them the dead are just foot soldiers in the battle against the Deep State.

5 Likes

You may have heard the nurse from South Dakota (I believe) speaking about dying patients denying that Covid was real with their last gasping breaths…

10 Likes

I don’t like being a Debbie Downer, but I’ve got to say it even to the folks here.

The deaths and illnesses being recorded right now really do not reflect the impact of exposure during Thanksgiving and all that travel. The deaths lag behind by well more than just one week. While the illnesses might be starting the upswing now, the increase in hospitalizations due to the holiday and holiday travel are only getting started.

I wish the general public would listen. Fucking stupid propagandized morons. Our hospitalists are experiencing hell on earth now and it is only going to get worse.

9 Likes

Actions, and inaction, have consequences. Poke a sleeping bear with a stick and you might get mauled and eaten.

Collectively, as a nation, we asked for all this.

4 Likes

Just listening to Senator Bill Cassidy (La) was asked about Trump starting the day still tweeting about election fraud and not mentioning anything about the virus,Cassidy dodged the question and tried to make it a personal responsibility thing rather than top down leadership.

4 Likes

Biden’s “100 day” mask campaign is a bad idea. When COVID doesn’t disappear like magic on April 20, it will be his fault. Granted, it was always going to be his fault, but why make it so easy?

Just bite the bullet and declare 2021 The Year of the Mask. on January 20.

3 Likes

Fox News will suddenly find that COVID-19 is the worst thing ever on January 21st.

8 Likes

And yet, I had a long and fruitless argument yesterday with an acquaintance who insisted on defending people who staged “superspreader” events–“their rights don’t end in a pandemic”–and arguing that there are no laws mandating that you must care about other people’s welfare. Pure, unadulterated Trumpism. It’s inconceivable to me that in the middle of the worst health crisis in American history, people should still be parroting right-wing talking points and advocating for a Darwinian country where it is every man for himself…

3 Likes

Don’t you find it odd that those that said it was a ‘hoax’, it’s just the flu, that it will go away after Nov. 3rd, all want first crack at a vaccine for something that doesn’t exist?

I’m starting to wonder if electrotherapy might help these people’s brain connect.

3 Likes

My biggest misjudgment in 2020 - thinking Covid-19 wouldn’t look like this graph because we are smarter, have better medical care, have better communications, have better technology.

6 Likes

In the states which fell for this ‘personal responsibility’ gag the per capita death rates are higher than elsewhere. Unfortunately those who lack personal responsibility are killing not only themselves but also people who are responsible.

4 Likes

This is what I have been saying for months…

WARE A MASK AND PRACTICE SOCIAL DISTANCING AND WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN.
AND STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM T-RUMPSTERS.

1 Like

I am just plain exhausted from all this “winning.”

1 Like

Yet they choose to demand service from hospital emergency staff when they or their family members fall sick.

10 Likes

I have been waring a mask since February 2020. I like living.

3 Likes

And what we need to combat it are more tax cuts.

3 Likes

Ask this person if he thinks restaurants and supermarkets should be allowed to store meats at room temperature because FREEDUM!
As SCOTUS Justice Jackson said, “The Constitution is not a suicide pact”

3 Likes

If you look at the numbers, about 2% of those who have tested positive are dying in the US. Both the cases and the deaths are undercounts, but if you take that number that means that we’re looking at 4000 dead per day by the end of the year from the 200,000 positive tests per day right now. Death increases lag by around a month, so the ill now will be dying in three weeks.

It’s all rough numbers obviously, but it’s in the range of what to expect…and that’s without considering what is going to happen when the real death rate (around 1%) goes up to 5% when the medical system is overwhelmed (that’s happened in several places around the world). If things really get that bad, over 10,000 could be dying every day…the same could happen if the spread isn’t slowed, and vaccines aren’t going to be prevalent enough to help with that until several months from now.

I’m hoping that these back-of-the-envelope numbers are worst case, but I’m not convinced that they are anymore, especially since Republicans have quit doing anything to combat COVID and their followers are actively trying to do the things that will spread it. I guess the only hope is that an explosion of death by the end of the year will convince Georgians to elect Warnock and Ossoff so that something can finally be done about COVID, even if it will be too late.

3 Likes