Two Members Of Congress Secretly Flew To Kabul And No One’s Impressed

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things.

Two members of Congress went on a junket to Kabul right in the middle of the massive airlift to rescue Americans and Afghanis from the Taliban takeover.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1385649
1 Like

Flight to Kabul?

Should have been Gaetz and MTG.

One way. They’d blend right in with the Taliban, at least politically.

37 Likes

51 Likes

Representative Moulton is attempting to re-brand himself, first in MA, and then in the rest of the country for a bigger role that he feels is due him. He blew it a couple of years ago and is attempting to re-establish his credentials as a player. For a bit of background:

and

https://www.usnews.com/news/the-run/articles/2019-06-27/seth-moulton-debates-elizabeth-warren-and-angry-democrats-from-an-airbnb-couch

and how could we forget this decision of his:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/11/26/speaker-nancy-pelosi-revolt-seth-moulton-222686/

I will state that I am thrilled that House Speaker Pelosi is in charge and not someone else - she has shown and continues to show the correct instinct and touch to her job, and this country has and will benefit. Her job still has a long way to go this term, and I expect much political Kabuki Theater before her efforts will conclude, but I do rest easier knowing she is in charge.

Sorry, but Moulton’s stunt took time and effort from those in Kabul to protect him when it would have been better spent on other more pressing issues. He could have made his points from Washington but chose not to do so. I was a supporter of his when he first entered politics, but my recommendation now is do useful things first before running for the Senate or Presidency. I’m not impressed by his theatrics, but they play well in the press these days, so off he goes. Time for him to mature as a leader if he wishes to have a meaningful political future.

46 Likes

Moulton is a fucking moron (Massachusetts boy here). He’s the same dipshit who thought he could mount a leadership challenge against Madame Speaker.

63 Likes

Afghanistan, looking for a president?
“Yes, Donnie, they’d love to talk to you. In person, in Kabul.”

19 Likes

What a sad state of affairs we find ourselves in. We have a long way to go to get back to “normal.”

6 Likes

Want to look savvy, Andy? Get some pants that fit. It’ll be a miracle if you don’t split those jeans when you bend over to shovel some trash for the cameras.

12 Likes

But, but, it was a bipartisan ego trip! That makes it a good thing. Doesn’t it?

25 Likes

17 Likes

After posting several stories yesterday covering the "moderate " Dem obstructionism, why isn’t there a mention of Pelosi’s win yesterday?

42 Likes

Reps. Seth Moulton (D-MA) and Peter Meijer (R-MI)

LOOK AT ME ! … LOOK AT ME!

22 Likes

Maybe TPM thinks we covered it well enough ourselves without them?

32 Likes

Seth Moulton is the least likeable character in any Philip Roth novel.

6 Likes

Speaking of members of Congress, Mr. Kinzinger may be on the way out. Glad to have him speaking out against T**** but he still votes 100% with the GQP.

28 Likes

Yeah, this doesn’t make a lot of sense except as obvious self-promotion, parading around where the eyeballs are. By all means learn about stuff but I don’t think you learn about something by parachuting in, walking around for 36 hours while local staff whose time could be better spent show you around, and then flying away again. It’s about one step up from a layover at the airport.

49 Likes

It’s pretty clear now that Moulton’s core is this, self-promotion, rather than patriotism, bravery, or self-sacrifice.
I guess this is one problem with having all-volunteer armed forces: veteran-politicians who originally enlisted with a political career in mind.

15 Likes

What I want to know is why the Biden Administration cannot legally stop a program the @#$%^-head administration started. What special process did TFG use to start that program in the first place?
Executive fart after Sturmbannfuhrer Miller whispered in his ear?
Unless Congress mandated it–which it definitely did not–the Executive branch can undo what the Executive branch did. Can’t it?
On what grounds did the SCOTUS rule otherwise?

20 Likes

In fact, they would really like for you to do a rally.

5 Likes

Lately that has been the case.

8 Likes