Two GOPers Lash Out At Notion That Ashli Babbitt Was A Martyr | Talking Points Memo

We’ve been hearing that for 4 years.

2 Likes

Also why ‘The Punisher’ was a guy named Frank Castle. :wink:

I do think the Kavanaugh confirmation debacle helped Trump cement his support among Republican partisans who were still skeptical of his commitment to the right wing agenda or who found him personally odious. Not backing down on someone who proved himself demonstrably un-judge-like in order to intensify red-blue tribal hatreds was smart politics for Trump and goes far to explain his successful takeover of the party. Democrats had no choice but to oppose boof Bret, he was and is clearly unqualified, but in retrospect the political fallout WAS disastrous for us and for the country.

3 Likes

Very nice.

1 Like

In America, real leaders just drop the umbrella when they’re finished with it, and walk away. Same with people.

1 Like

Ashli Battitt was in the process of a felonious act. Shooting her was justified.

2 Likes

Uh, you may not have noticed, but I described her as a terrorist and the shooting as righteous.

3 Likes

So a good guy with a gun shoots a bad person with mayhem and murder in their heart … I guess I’m missing their point.

4 Likes

They’ve been caught in a riptide. The only way to get out is swim sideways out of the rip, and then come back to shore. Some are figuring it out. The rest are going to end up floaters.

3 Likes

Tourism sure is turning into some rough trade,

1 Like

And the thing is, if you encounter a rip tide or a shark or a bear, you have to know how to handle that, and the solutions take a fair degree of nerve. They don’t know what to do, and they’re cowards. So they’re looking at a bad day.

3 Likes

Well, they were definitely ready for bear. I’m still not buying why there was no National Guard presence on site. Optics, my ass. They knew the militia mutts were showing up.

3 Likes

I’m tired of hearing them called the party of Lincoln. Abe would have been a democrat just as the solid south bolted to the Republicans. Equal rights apparently was a step too far. Lincoln fought people like them. Kicked butt too.

3 Likes

Nowadays for Trump that seems like a normal day. And yes, more please…

1 Like

In their twisted reality it’s “black man with gun shoots excessively patriotic tourist”.

2 Likes

They’ve been moving in a fascist direction for a long time. Actually, since Goldwater, although I wouldn’t call him one. But by quite openly, strongly and very publicly opposing all civil rights legislation and appealing to “states rights” in his 1964 Presidential Campaign, he effectively started the movement of the revanchist White racist Confederacy into the Republican Party, a transition finalized by and under Reagan’s disastrous (for the future of this country’s democracy) Administration. The groundwork having been done, and the rot started, the actual move into full blown fascism just took a match, which was eagerly provided by Trump, who had long been waiting for such a chance.

3 Likes

The problem with the Republican Party is that it has been taken over by conservatives.

They can’t tolerate many voices.

1 Like

The Republican Party has been taken over by a neo-fascist cult. The conservatives are trying to figure out how to get their party back.

3 Likes

Good analysis. Didn’t Reagan start his campaign for Prez in Philadelphia, Mississippi, the site where the three civil rights workers were slain?

Yes, it seems that the fascists among us have been hiding under their rocks until Don the Con connected with them and give them the OK to be as fascist as they wanted to be, while the GQP drank the Kool Aid, joined the cult and supported the Con Man in his bad behavior (especially the Big Lie).

Meanwhile the internet allowed all the far out Ring-Wing Nut Jobs, previously isolated in their padded bedroom, to meet and greet, spin some conspiracy, get to know each other and plan an insurrection in their spare time.

I really don’t know how we can rid the country of this danger. About 74 million people voted for the Con Man.

That’s a staggering number of people voting for an authorian criminal.

Sad. Very sad. And scary…

1 Like

Back at you, friend. Good analysis of yours.
And I totally agree. I’m losing hope rapidly for our democracy. Hope seems hard to hold on to, with a 50/50 Senate and a conservative WV “Dem” and an attention-hog, showboat former-fake-“progressive” refusing to budge on the filibuster is blocking all the Voting Rights legislation that is our only defense against a future coup.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available