Trumpy Georgia Board Passes Another Disastrous Rule Blatantly Designed To Delay Election Results

Originally published at: Trumpy Georgia Board Passes Another Disastrous Rule Blatantly Designed To Delay Election Results

In a change that the Republican state attorney general believes is unlawful, the MAGA-controlled Georgia state election board voted Friday, in a 3-2 vote, to enact a new rule that requires counties in the state to hand-count ballots — a process that is based on conspiracy theories about voting machines that experts say is both…

Are these new rules being challenged in the courts?

11 Likes

Those MAGA Three Stooges are just angling for cheap tRump points, as virtually the entire GA State government officials are opposed to their self-serving and wholly impractical “rules” changes. Dems already have launched lawsuits, and this bit of chicanery will be deep-sixed quite shortly.

9 Likes

I think they’re getting the pieces in place for another “Brooks Brothers” riot. Delay the tabulation in the counties with the most ballots – the Democratic-leaning counties – and then suing to stop the count on some bogus pretext.

11 Likes

Roughly 5M votes last time in Georgia. That’s, er, gonna take a while to count by hand. Say maybe 12 per minute, 720 per hour, that’s 7,000 people hours for a primary count, so to be done in two days you’ll need at least 500 people.

This is designed to delay and mess up the count, then get the Subprime Court to anoint TCF as the winner.

13 Likes

What’s next? A poll tax?

9 Likes

Volunteer or paid human vote counters?Because you are going to need thousands of them. Will the Board provide the money?

2 Likes

Poll Attacks…

4 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Trump referred to the three board members — Janelle King, Janice Johnston and Rick Jaffares — as “pitbulls, fighting for honesty, transparency, and victory.”

Old Blabbermouth, giving the game away again. He’s openly admitting that the MAGA board members are “in it to win it”, acting for partisan advantage.

The only “honest” election according to OldFelon is one that he “wins”.

6 Likes

All poll attacks is local.

6 Likes

It appears to be designed to fail, very specifically in the more populous, more urban, more blue counties.

Maybe they finally caught on to what @txlawyer has been saying all along - it’s not very pointful (for them) to screw up and delay the reporting of small rural deep MAGA counties, and the Fulton County election folks ain’t gonna play along, so they need some other way to torpedo the counts there.

Unfortunately for them, the Georgia courts still seem to be mostly functional, and the Governor and SoS aren’t playing TrumpBall either, so I expect this to get challenged fast and hard.

ETA: +1 for “Subprime Court”, but they might also be aiming to throw it into the House of Unrepresentatives this time (1 vote per state).

3 Likes

I think 12 per minute is far too quick for a hand count. Mulitiple candidates per ballot to tabulate and any other measures being voted on.

Or did the 3 r’s on the election board say only the votes for president need to be 100% hand counted? I wouldn’t put it past them.

1 Like

Sworn to what? That they’ll chuck a ton of democrats’ votes?

Oh goody. Now we have to wait and see if we’ll be saved by the courts.

1 Like

It’s certainly too quick, assuming they’re hand-counting everything. I was talking to someone a while ago who said “well, Germany hand-counts (due to a court decision a few years ago) their ballots and it works fine, so why can’t the US?”.

But here’s what a German election ballot (from 2009) looks like:

Everyone casts two votes; one for their local representative, and another for a political party (and the parties then get extra reps in proportion to their 2nd vote tallies).

Pretty quick to tally, even with the (hey, it’s Germany, what can I say?) extra complication of the two-vote system.

Now, here’s a sample ballot from Georgia in 2020:

Lots of other races on there. Plus the option for write-ins. And I won’t even mention what the ballots look like here in California, with a handful (or more) of ballot initiatives to vote for, along with the fed/state/county/local offices.

Definitely not something you’re going to be hand-tabulating in only 5, or even 10 seconds.

2 Likes

The hand count rule seems intended to give trump an artificial lead, as they will take exponentially longer in urban counties than out in more sparsely-populated trump country. And the impossible timeframe for completing the hand count seems aimed at preventing those urban counties from getting their votes counted at all.

This seems very much like there’s a federal voting rights lawsuit coming. DOJ might even lead the charge.

12 Likes

Supreme Court (by the time it gets to them)

“Oh, yeah, thats unconstitutional… but… its to close to election day so… I guess its ok”

2 Likes

Where cynicism and realistic assessment collide.

4 Likes

Republicans may not understand irony or hypocrisy, but they excell at cynicism…