Trumpworld Boosts Pence’s ‘Essential Worker’ Excuse Amid Aides Contracting COVID | Talking Points Memo

Trumpworld echoed Vice President Mike Pence’s “essential worker” rationale on Sunday as justification for the VP staying on the campaign trail, despite a COVID-19 outbreak among his aides within weeks of figures in Trump’s orbit contracting the novel coronavirus.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1340414
1 Like

I can’t wait to be done with these people.

39 Likes

Turbulent priests?

8 Likes

To describe pence as “essential” is truly laughable

34 Likes

Trust me, “essential” workers are basically grunts.

Been there, done that.

17 Likes

Considering most of America can’t name a single thing he’s done in 4 years, I highly doubt he’s essential.

18 Likes

In his case it is laughable – and he doesn’t know it, which makes it even funnier.

8 Likes

Well, John Nance Garner once described the office of the Vice Presidency as not being worth a warm bucket of a certain bodily product, but I guess that the office has since evolved into being an essential not-worth-a-bucket-of-that-stuff office.

8 Likes

Mike Pence … “Essential Worker” ??

He is neither … but if the argument is that the vice president is “Essential” … OK … he can go do his Vice Presidential work in isolation … connect by Zoom … campaigning for reelection is not Essential Work.

17 Likes

I’d sure like to hear one thing Pence does that’s so essential to anyone or anything that he need do anything more than sit by the phone waiting for a call from McConnell to come break a tie, or the call telling him that Trump has fallen over dead.

13 Likes

Especially them. But they have to stand in line.

2 Likes

Yeah, them too, now that you mention it.

2 Likes

Hang in there. Trumpworld will be setting new daily world’s records for being assholes for only about 87 more days. We hope.

3 Likes

Wonderful timing- keep banging away - Trump can’t even protect his inner staff.

Perfect for the Covid19 incompetence narrative, inability to protect one’s own. Good Red State sell - not to the hard cord Trumpists, but gain a percent or two on the margins from… the “housewives.”

2 Likes

Wow!

Nevada Latinos coming through in style, y’all! VOTE VOTE VOTE!

10 Likes

I have reached the point where I just wish the lot of them would up and die. Of whatever, just to get them all to shut up.

7 Likes

Going back a hundred years or so, I’d say the three Vice Presidents who made the most of the office were Henry Wallace, Al Gore, and Dick Cheney.

Wallace made some mistakes but was still a force to be reckoned with, so much so that he had to be undermined by his own Democratic Party.

As for Gore, well, some would say he undermined himself towards the end.

And as for Cheney, the less I say about his evil the better.

I know that Joe Biden is supposed to have made a huge difference as Vice President but (1) it’s still much too soon for historians to form solid opinions; and (2) Biden himself isn’t exactly the most reliable source on the matter!

5 Likes

You couldn’t write this up.

The head of the Covid task force ignores his commission’s own advice to head off for a completely voluntary campaign rally that risks being a superspreader event in the face of an ever worsening pandemic.

Then, to add insult to injury, calls him “essential” personnel. First responders and those who work at great personal risk at our grocery stores, restaurants, and other retail outlets would be right to be offended.

24 Likes

He has kissed Trump’s ass non stop.

3 Likes

Apparently another traditional conservative force
The New Hampshire Union Leader
sees neither Trump nor Pence as “essential” - and the sooner they are kicked to the curb - the better

20 Likes