Trump Wants Tanks At His Over-The-Top Fourth Of July Celebration

President Donald Trump has been steadily bulking up the annual Fourth of July celebration on the Mall, inserting himself aggressively into the planning process and demanding military displays of strength, including a flyover by the Navy’s Blue Angels.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1232474

He’ll dress for the occasion

30 Likes

Fourth For Donald

FIFY

Hope the argument that they will damage the streets will win the day against tanks. Tanks, right, are you gearing up for something or just trying in your own fake way to look like a tough guy. You are an idiot.

33 Likes

Just one more step in building the “look at how strong I am” image. Dictators and would be dictators love military displays.

12 Likes

Please let him set off the fireworks, it would undoubtedly be spectacular.

3 Likes

Rump still owes money to DC for his inauguration.

Trump still owes $7 million for inauguration

What did happen to all that inauguration money?

Trump raised $107 million for inauguration

26 Likes

Tianemen Square 2.

20 Likes

I have no snark to offer. Only pleas for a near total boycott.

I also do not wish for standoffs between cheerers and jeerers. no one should.

20 Likes

As a DC property owner, no, not on the streets I pay for and not in the Nation’s Capitol. By the way, VoteVets.org is raising money to give out free John McCain t-shirts on the Mall July 4.

29 Likes
[Trump Wants Tanks At His Over-The-Top Fourth Of July Celebration]

Nice ! … then stay in North Korea —

16 Likes

Where is your sense of adventure? So many possibilities for good entertainment, and that social engagement that you’ve been asking for.

3 Likes

Egomania, We Hardly Knew Ye!

7 Likes

Because nothing says independence and freedom like tanks and missiles.

And instead of the Declaration of Independence, let’s all recite the War Powers Act.

20 Likes

Judging by the contrast between Democratic and Republican discourse, I would say that this summer is a spectacular one for America…and I say this in a good way.

Witness the robust sparring among Dems with respect to the candidates, their strengths and their weaknesses

Witness the lock-step sheeple of the GOP… There is nothing that the Dictator-wannabe does that they do not support. It’s like a horror movie.

But worse, because it’s not a movie.

What the Democrats have is something to build on…

• But beware of the Purity Police

• Beware of naysayers without constructive criticism

• Beware of allowing sleepyheads (who should know better) to remain so

• Aggressively pursue the Impeachment Inquiry with the same energy that is spent on arguing and handwringing

14 Likes

I do want to see exactly who the ticketholders are for the reserved seats in front of the Lincoln Memorial are. Some guesses: Mnuchin and Louise (Cruela De Vil) Linton, of course Jarvanka and the rest of the Trump spawn, SHS and her family including daddy, Mitch McConnell and wife Elaine Chao, the serviceman he pardoned who was convicted of murder.

5 Likes

This presents an opportunity…I am thinking a bunch of empty seats reserved for us commoners…

2 Likes

Trump has also eschewed the usual practice of hiring an event producer, diving into much of the minutiae — like from where to launch the exorbitant fireworks display — himself.

The British burned Washington in 1814, why not Trump, too?

9 Likes

He’s gone full fascist; you never want to go full fascist.

7 Likes

He wants to point tanks out over a crowd of civilians he has commandeered to attend a nationalistic rally? Is NO ONE in his administration considering the implications of this, and how could it ever end badly for a democratic society? Jesus H. Christ!

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available