Trump Sues Jan. 6 Committee | Talking Points Memo

Former President Trump sought to cordon off conversations and records sought by the Jan. 6 Committee on Monday, suing both the panel and the National Archives in a bid to block the investigation from accessing documents from his time in the White House.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1391131
1 Like

Saw this real life metaphor on I-30 this weekend.

49 Likes

This is going to fly as well as his plane does.

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 3.05.16 PM

31 Likes

Shee-it, man. I should file a lawsuit claiming executive privilege. I should have my cat file a lawsuit claiming executive privilege. He’s not the executive! It’s so frustrating that he can do this and just run out the clock.

19 Likes

Run-Out-The-Clock is always his Aim.

25 Likes

Anyone know anything about the law firm that is representing him?

7 Likes

“in his capacity as 45th President…” I think capacity could make a good argument for incapacity to sustain this peculiar usage.

13 Likes

If he wants to waste his money let him do so. I imagine he believes the activist GOP, SCOTUS will hear the case and return the favor the newest members owe him.

10 Likes

Are there any left? I figured he “hired” someone from the local strip mall.

15 Likes

He is basing his lawsuit on precedent and being honorable? Didn’t this guy blow through every precedent since forever.

7 Likes

“President Trump can’t raise a claim of executive privilege to block the January 6 Committee’s investigation because there is no executive privilege for communications aimed at subverting an election.”

37 Likes

What fucking ambulance chaser / client-grifter did he get for this one?

20 Likes

Crazy lawsuit guy files crazy lawsuit. How do his followers keep getting excited by this stuff?

5 Likes

We’re about to meet someone we’ve never heard of.

19 Likes

This is the opening paragraph of suit

(the “Committee”) has decided to harass
President Trump and senior members of his administration (among others) by
sending an illegal, unfounded, and overbroad records request to the Archivist of the
United States. This self-described “sweeping”1 request is almost limitless in scope

@susanintheoc

And this is his legal representation - they describe themselves as a “boutique” law firm

20 Likes

Biden should immediately release the records and then claim it was an “administrative error”.

16 Likes

That’s about as pathetic as I imagined.

15 Likes

So, ummm … he’s not the executive.

4 Likes

Dewey
Cheatem &
Howe

…begged off to spend more time with their families.

12 Likes

Oh, this ought to be good.

Opening statement, defense - "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, Executive Privilege rests with the person who currently holds the office of President. That person is not the plaintiff.

We rest our case.

14 Likes