Trump’s Post-Presidential Hell Of Criminal Probes And Feeble Lawyering

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo.

A flurry of new reporting over the weekend further cemented the impression that Trump and his legal team (to the extent there is a legal “team” … more on that in a moment) are walking blithely unprepared into what could be the most serious criminal culpability he has yet faced in his long and illustrious career of staying one step ahead of the law.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1430352
1 Like

84 Likes

steviedee111 beING firsT is faKE News! LIEING liberAL mediA! RUSSIA HoaX. ExeCUTIVE privileging ANd now thIS!!

pinocchio

72 Likes

34 Likes

Mother Jones: Trump’s Lawyers Don’t Seem to Have Much of a Defense

LOw ENerGy.

53 Likes

I’ll just bet you’ve been refreshing the TPM page just waiting for the first thread of the morning, just so you could post that pic!

(What a cutie pie…! No, not you, Stevie, your dog…)

46 Likes

Pass the popcorn. Looking forward to the indictments. Nobody can tell “the former one” what to do. That’s because he’s “smart!” /s

27 Likes

I usually see the Morning Memo thread on twitter before it gets put up on the homepage.

(I coulda been a contender!)

31 Likes

Gotta be faster with the photo next time!

6 Likes

(What a cutie pie…! No, not you, Stevie, your dog…)

But Stevie is a dog!

10 Likes

Popcorn isn’t gonna be enough. I got to move up to the level of the famous #19 from Langers Deli in Los Angeles.

Langers#1

Pastrami, imported Swiss, Coleslaw, Russian dressing on half baked rye and don’t forget that pickle!

51 Likes

I saw this little flower truck on the road during the weekend, and for reasons that I cannot fully comprehend, the sight of the tiny Suzuki right sided truck full of flowers driven by a mature lady filled my heart with joy.

77 Likes

I usually see the Morning Memo thread on twitter before it gets put up on the homepage.

As my Wall Street brother would say, ‘‘all I want is an unfair advantage.’’

49 Likes

or as the Arizona Gubernatorial Nominee put it, Small Dick Energy…

13 Likes

Marcy Wheeler:

Over the weekend, Judge Aileen Cannon ordered DOJ — which had not yet been formally served in Donald Trump’s civil suit to get a Special Master appointed to conduct a review of the materials seized from his home — to take initial steps towards appointing a Special Master.

There are a lot of procedural reasons why that order is crazy.

But Judge Cannon might be excused for believing some grave wrong has been done against the former President. That’s because the two filings his lawyers submitted — neither of which was accompanied by a sworn declaration — were wildly misleading.

Summary

I’d like to lay out a few of those details here. (First filing, Supplemental filing)

One of the lawyers who signed the filings is Evan Corcoran.

Some useful background first. In the Steve Bannon case, Corcoran let Bannon’s earlier attorney, Robert Costello, join his defense team even though Costello was a witness in the case against Bannon. He did so even after DOJ warned that might pose a problem. Ultimately, Costello conceded that might pose a conflict and he dropped off the team. So even in the last year, Corcoran has been rather flexible about where the role of defense attorney ends and the role of witness begins.

Now let’s look at the filings that Evan Corcoran signed, with two others.

One thing that Evan Corcoran didn’t bother to tell Aileen Cannon is that Evan Corcoran plays a lead role in the filing. The following are actions described in the two Trump filings that Evan Corcoran is either known, or by consistent reference, must have done, but which are attributed only to Trump’s counsel:

Go read it.

61 Likes

Which speaks volumes about how nice a guy I truly am. :crazy_face:

11 Likes

… something Breaking Bad about that photo.

4 Likes

It’s not who posts the first, it’s who counts the posts that matters.

31 Likes

BTW, fuck this fucking fuck.

91 Likes

Do you think that’s his dog? Really?

4 Likes