Trump’s Ex-Defense Chief Says It’s ‘Pretty Much Definitive’ Then-POTUS Incited Capitol Mob | Talking Points Memo

Former Trump acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller said it’s “pretty definitive” that the deadly Capitol insurrection earlier this year wouldn’t have happened if then-President Trump didn’t deliver a fiery speech hours before the attack urging his supporters to “fight like hell” to overturn Joe Biden’s electoral victory.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1364526

Some serious CYA going on there, Chris…

Even if you are 100% correct…

37 Likes

wouldn’t have happened if then-President Trump didn’t deliver a fiery speech hours before the attack urging his supporters to “fight like hell” to overturn Joe Biden’s electoral victory.

Oh. So it was the speech that caused the attack on the capitol, not the weeks of planning and free busses bringing just randomly* selected people from 100s of miles around to the capitol on that day. And were any of these randomly selected people also compensated for food and lodging?

*randomly selected people that just happened to meticulously plan their weapons logistics.

30 Likes

Considers Trump guilty, makes excuses for himself. Typical response. And, Miller’s suggesting that he “was unsure whether Trump thought through the dire consequences of his incendiary speech” is really rich. Donnie doesn’t think through anything he says, dire or otherwise. It’s called reckless blathering.

19 Likes

Somehow your response makes it seem a bit like “Frogger”, though there’s certainly a “Q*Bert” element which should be noted.

9 Likes

I’ll go with Excuses, Alex…

18 Likes

“It seems cause-and-effect,” Miller said, referring to Trump’s rally speech. “The question is, did he know he was enraging people to do that? I don’t know.”

Er, it was denouement of a four months campaign.
I can’t think of much else he coulda had in mind.
Suggestions, anyone?

16 Likes

This is a case of someone preempting their own time under the bus.

23 Likes

“Will no one rid me of this turbulent Pence?”

5 Likes

“The question is, did he know he was enraging people to do that? I don’t know.”

No? You don’t know? Amazing the defense of our country is in the hands of such complete and utterly stupid people.

17 Likes

Nice try, but I think people don’t arrive in body armor, loaded with convenient weapons and handcuffs, just happen to have gas masks and helmets on just to listen to a Trump speech.

23 Likes

There is ample evidence from T rumpp’s speeches before this indicating that Jan. 6th was tremendously important. Couple that with the social media posts of PBs and OKs all indicating that 1-6 was a planned event, complete with back-up support if/when things turned violent, all this indicates t rumpp knew what he was saying, and that he knew that his words would result in a violent riot. It was all too coordinated across too broad a scale to leave any doubt that the entire insurrection was planned, and that t rumpp knew precisely what he was doing.

12 Likes

idk, there’s something wrong with the question of “did he know he was enraging people to do that?” - which somehow is an operative question of whether something rises to criminal incitement. I’d say it was reckless and negligent - considering he was involved in the planning process and knew they didn’t have a permit for a ‘march’ down to the capitol - and he told them to go down there. To me that means he knew he was already telling them to do something that they weren’t allowed to do, and that would make him culpable as a conspirator to anyone elses criminal acts they performed down the road. How the fuck is that wrong?
This cocksucker is a conspirator or at least an accessory before the fact - but he’s somehow skating away on the good old “aw shucks I didn’t know anyone would get mad that I lied and said the election was stolen and they won’t have a country anymore” bullshit? Fuck that.

11 Likes

Understandable, did Abbie Hoffman really know he was inciting people to raise the Pentagon?

3 Likes

Which is the best possible take on way too much of that administration’s actions. Personally, I prefer malicious.
That said, it’s past time he’s held accountable for at least a little of it.

10 Likes

Yep. This is known as “getting out in front of the story.” Bastard instead needs to telling everything he knows under oath in public.

17 Likes

“It comes back to understanding how the military works—this isn’t a video game, it’s not Black Ops Call of Duty,” Miller said.

No, “Black Ops Call of Duty” was reserved for the BLM protests…

10 Likes

That’s not what the quote indicates.

“Wouldn’t have happened if [Trump hadn’t]” can mark a necessary condition without suggesting that it’s a sufficient condition.

1 Like

Trump will probably be sued by the folks who invaded the Capitol…no matter what Miller blurts out.

3 Likes

So transparent. He is doing the usual thing dirty Trump co-conspirators do when caught, playing the victim and pointing at another target. The responsibility for delaying aid to the Capitol police and refusing them adequate personal protection like riot gear is HIS. Even if it turns out that Trump ordered him to stand down during the coup attempt and maybe consolidate “victory” afterwards, he swore to obey the Constitution and not corrupt orders.

Full investigation of the actions and communications of him and the other suspicious Trump appointments to the DoD is absolutely vital. We already know there was insider Trump conspiracy in the DoJ. And everyone knows no coup is successful without support from the military.

4 Likes