Trump’s Census Director Announces Resignation, Cutting Term Short By Several Months | Talking Points Memo

Should be flying over the Trump Presidential* Library and Grift Shop, instead

8 Likes

Well done, IG Gustafson. A true public servant.

6 Likes

Duty free.

My biggest take home from this article is to learn that we still have an IG somewhere in government, that Trump didn’t yet fire. Good to know.

Also, when you try to get around the plain letter of the Constitution, you end up with a lot of explaining to do, thus delaying the process. Now watch Biden clean it up and bring it home without getting multiple federal courts involved.

14 Likes

Nice he’s at least doing it too late for Dump to try to appoint another lackey. Even nicer to see another of Dump’s nasty little illegal plans fall apart and the rats scurry off.

19 Likes

Shocking, surprising, unexpected. No one could have seen this coming. Except everyone.

7 Likes

Reapportionment among the states has to be based on total population, per the plain language of the Constitution that you cite there. But the Constitution does not specify the use of any particular measure of population in redistricting. So the big danger here was of the Census made citizen/non-citizen data available for the states to use in their redistricting, which would have enabled red states legislatures to diminish the political power of high-population urban areas where immigrants are more likely to reside.

7 Likes

Shorter Dillingham: “You can’t fire me, I quit!”

3 Likes

Now I want to see DeJoy gone, as well as the entire Postal Service board of governors. That mess needs to be cleaned up.
(Oh, and then have Congress fix their insane retirement fund requirements. The USPS has been profitable for years except for those requirements.)

23 Likes

"might seek to question Dillingham under oath as well. "
keep that pot on the burner … might be worthwhile to get him on the record as to who was holding the gun to his head & demanding skewing of the results

9 Likes

Brunell’s next book is on “Democracy and Voting: Why Elections are bad for America.”

Jeebus, the fetus in the womb is pretty much happier where it is too. Ultimately at some point it has to get out though or it won’t survive very long.

Time for Gopper’s to grow up.

5 Likes

Hmm… not true… as I’ve commented before…
The operating meme of the pro-life GOP:
Pro-life until it takes its first breath. :wink:

2 Likes

I looked up the book on Amazon and you are right. Hardcover $203.20, paperback $48.95. Neither Brooklyn or NYC libraries have it. How did it get to a paperback edition?

So, bad research and bad writing combo. (“Dillingham has since clarified that work on the data projected has been ceased.”) A Tierney Sneed two for one double whammy kind of deal.

2 Likes

cover seems nice …

From the article -
Before putting forward Dillingham for the director position, the White House was reportedly considering for the role Thomas Brunell, a go-to witness for Republicans in redistricting cases and author of “Redistricting and Representation: Why Competitive Elections Are Bad for America.”

2 Likes

Well, Brunell’s work does have its critics.

Read it. See what you think. (Or not!)

1 Like

We’re gonna need a bigger OIG.

7 Likes

Well, yeah, if they are all of the same mind, then they will all be happy with their selection. He’s got some deep thinking going there.

4 Likes

Happier than they are when their district is deeply divided.

2 Likes

WaPo has a good article up.

In a statement posted on the bureau website, Dillingham said he had not heard any suggestions that the data he had asked for broke any laws or rules.

“The reported whistleblower concerns appear to be misunderstandings regarding the planned process for the review and potential postings of data, and the agreed upon need to apply data quality standards,” he wrote.

“The envisioned data tabulation was described to me as a single column of state numbers (or estimates) a page or two in length. I was informed that the data review and any potential publication of summary numbers or estimates would comply with quality standards used by the Bureau in producing ‘technical reports.’”

By law, congressional apportionment must be based on actual numbers, not estimates. The government never said how it planned to produce an actual tally of undocumented immigrants by state, which does not exist.

6 Likes

OK … now Biden is presented with

• a half-assed collection of census data
  • that is half-completed
  • and the half-wit who was ostensibly in charge has walked off the job with nearly 12 months to go

Is there anything salvageable from this exercise in idiocy? or is it just a total loss - another case of Trump buffoons just deliberately pissing money away on some deliberately FUBARed exercise?

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available