Trump Knew The Right Way To Declassify Documents

Well, I guess I am talking historically, including HS, where, presumably, in this country, one is required to take a one year survey course on American History.

5 Likes

As evangelical grifter Ralph Reed yucks it up like it’s the truth.

2 Likes

Since I received the Moderna vaccine whose research was funded partially by Dolly Parton does that mean Jolene is played through my cranium?

6 Likes

Good G-d! With that statement, he’s just out-Walkered Herschel Walker

2 Likes

orange has always excelled in word salad, lots of ingredients but not a shred of coherence.

2 Likes

Grifting is deeply dependent on “knowing”…of course he knew.

And by gum,nobodies proved him wrong…send money…

2 Likes

It’s obvious that Hotze hasn’t received the vaccine - no signs of intelligence, artificial or natural.

2 Likes

Anyone have any ideas how much longer we have to put up with this?

2 Likes

Hacks like John Yoo proposed this, because why not, right? They don’t give a fuck about national security. They just want to protect the republican power by muddying the waters around the whole debate. If they are released, well, they must have been declassified. If they aren’t released, that’s just the deep state trying to get DT.

The only way this ends with anything resembling justice is for the courts to stop protecting DT altogether so he and the people lying for him wind up in prison for, respectively, stealing government documents and mishandling classiifed information, and obstruction of justice.

ETA: The fact that DT never once claimed to have mentally declassified documents during his term, or for that matter, anytime between leaving office and being busted by the FBI is a strong point, but obviously, when some courts are ignoring black letter law altogether, logic doesn’t factor in much.

2 Likes

You are correct, of course. Half of me wants a serious journalist to ask him to explain what he declassified and why he felt it was important to do that on his way out the door. On the one hand, it puts him in a box because if he declassified it, he should be able to discuss it. On the other hand, most of it probably is information that would harm national security, and there’s a chance he would blab about it because his ego will win over not incriminating himself every single time.

And frankly, that should be the response to the John Yoos of the world who suggest just publishing it all. “If you think it should be made public, have you asked DT to hold a press conference and discuss?”

3 Likes

Way to trash one of my pre-puberty prime time crushes. Aaaaaaiiiiiiiiieeeeeeee!!!

See, now me, I don’t care if anyone asks him a question ever again. There’s no value in it. Not in asking a question to which you want a truthful, factual answer. He kept the documents, if they weren’t souvenirs of some kind, because they had information on them he thought he could use to his advantage. What he did violates or may violate a number of statutes. His saying he declassified it all, a claim with many absurd aspects and one which his lawyers seem loath to try to prove, is more a red herring meant to muddy things up, especially if it’s found he did convey that information to unauthorized people. Claiming it’s declassified and he could show it to anyone might help hang a jury. But I think it’s also his usual thing when he’s in a particular jam of spewing out a huge cloud of verbiage that includes anything his slow mind thinks might be exculpatory. There’s really not much point in considering what, if any, of it might be true. We’ll be correct far more often than not if we assume none of it is. If I were an editor with a good investigative team I’d put them on trying to find real-world connections between the documents, people in Trump World, and the wider world beyond. That’s where the story is, if you ask me. Not in Trump’s big stupid mouth.

6 Likes

I absolutely agree from a purely legal perspective, but he’s not already in prison for crimes to which he has admitted because there is a public perception to be considered. Until he is indicted, the value of asking him the question is putting him in the box in a way that no one else can be in the box. The value of putting him in the box is that republicans running for congress may have to explain why they support the guy who either can’t talk about something he says is declassified or who blabs secrets. And while I continue to be amazed at what today’s repubs will support, I still think some voters would draw the line at national security.

2 Likes

I agree. I think because classified documents are part of pop culture, people have a basic understanding of it in a way they might not for civil liberties and so forth. They get that if you mess with that stuff, if you do weird, unusual things with it, something uncool could be going on. And you know, it’s funny. The politicians mostly pretend to support him. And his actual supporters often have a more nuanced view of him than we think. Lots of times they’ll say in interviews that he’s “rough around the edges,” or they’ll wish he didn’t tweet. I think they get that he’s actually a pretty shady guy, the way we got that aspect of Bill Clinton. Either Coulter or Ingraham said once in a moment of exasperation that it was like having a teenager who’d repeatedly call you in the middle of the night from the police station to come down and get him. They know what he is. Even if they like him, they know.

3 Likes

During one deposition for…whatever, Trump was asked by a lawyer why he gives such divergent answers as to the amount of his net worth. I’m pretty sure he gave an answer along the lines of, it depends on my mood.

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

It had those but donnie got peckish

1 Like

Ah, now I get the reference for the Kelvin character’s (rather erotic) body-building “shows”. (The Righteous Gemstones will be back for season three, according to HBO.)

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available