Trump Extends Social Distancing Guidelines To April 30, Abandons Easter End Date

President Donald Trump announced on Sunday that he would be prolonging the federal government’s social distancing guidelines to April 30 as a precautionary measure against the COVID-19 pandemic.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1300378
1 Like

“I never said you wouldn’t get your hair mussed. It’s really too bad. About your hair. Not my hair.
My hair is perfect, just like that phone call.”

19 Likes

By April 30th the body count will be so high there won’t be any talk of cutting short the social distancing guidelines for quite some time. By then we’ll be lucky if there isn’t talk of food rationing. I’m waiting to hear the farmers projections for how successful or unsuccessful the planting will be this Spring.

25 Likes

Well on our way to recovery by June 1, that’s better, but still not very realistic. Just look at the numbers, we’re on our way up, the sky is the limit.

6 Likes

How about he apologizes to our doctors and nurses now? Reckless, heartless, in-way-over-his-head monster. They’re struggling to get needed supplies because of his slow and stupid actions. So he blames them for profiteering??

Wonder if we’ll ever hear about that particular projection-brain-fart again.

27 Likes

It is time for DJT to pull an LBJ and resign in an election year…

20 Likes

The UK announced yesterday that they may extend their social distancing protocols for an additional six more months. So, that’s at least through middle/end of September.

7 Likes

Good article about a Florida city now coming to grips with the crisis. People are slowly realizing just how bad it’s going to be. Of course, there are doubters, like the chair of the local chamber of commerce:

I think President Trump had a great point when he said we don’t want the cure to be worse than the virus,” said Bryan Blackwell, the chair of the greater Fort Myers chamber of commerce, who is also a Republican seeking a seat in the Florida House. “I think it’s important that we take measured steps to make sure that we’re not overreacting and that we’re not hurting people more than we absolutely have to.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/this-pro-trump-coastal-community-in-florida-hit-early-by-virus-sits-at-emotional-nexus-of-national-debate-over-reopening-economy-amid-health-crisis/2020/03/29/8fa3235c-71ef-11ea-85cb-8670579b863d_story.html?utm_campaign=wp_todays_headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_headlines

10 Likes

Had Trump done better we would still have the virus but we would be better equipped to handle our problem.
Trump must do better by keeping his mouth shut and allowing the pros to do the talking.

17 Likes

Oh ye of little faith!

No matter what kind of happy spin the idiot in chief or anyone in his administration tries to put on this, it is not going to be over in a couple months. I think it’s really impossible to try to envision the damage that will be done on all fronts. This is not anything I’ve experienced and it’s really hard to imagine all the ramifications, but we will not be the same place for maybe years, if ever. This is a giant wake up call for the world.

20 Likes

Makes you wonder just how much he is making off of profiteering.

11 Likes

trump’s (America’s) response to the pandemic with prove to be the worst in the world by the time this is over.

15 Likes

I believe he’s already hit that mark.

12 Likes

This is just the first wave, too. It’s going to be a long time before a vaccine is produced.

7 Likes

Especially because his response was completely influenced by his desire for reelection.

11 Likes

If this thing subsides in the summer and returns in the fall, the primary will be…Interesting. Hopefully it won’t be a redux if the Spanish flu that mutated to a worse version in the fall.

4 Likes

He shouldn’t get away with this homicidal negligence, or man slaughter or what ever it can legally be called.

10 Likes

Them damn feriners ain’t going to want to come and work in our fields. Death sentence with no healthcare
Even with 30% unemployment , no American will want to do that work for peanuts

9 Likes

I call trumpism

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available