Trump Does A Familiar Dance With His Promise Of A SCOTUS Short List

Originally published at: Trump Does A Familiar Dance With His Promise Of A SCOTUS Short List

2024 has found Trump almost comically torn between two competing political prerogatives. On one side, you have a conservative movement that has increasingly remade itself in his image, grafting radical, revanchist ideas for a new American “regime” onto Trump’s unique, very personal politics. This movement is given form by Project 2025, an initiative that is…

Frist!

Cat.

Untitled

12 Likes

Trump teasing his 2025 SCOTUS shortlist is just a more-desperate attempt to steal back the news cycle.

Sad and weak. He can go directly to jail, without passing Go and collecting $200.

19 Likes

Trump has always pulled this stuff, making his policies appear more centrist and teasing a realize of information of some kind. The press has been his lackeys in this, lapping up every bit of the show and giving him more credit than he deserves on “centrist” policies. We know now how that will turn out, because he’s already had one administration where bad policies ruled, and the centrism was pushed by people who won’t be welcome in his new administration. Instead, they will be replaced by extremists who intend to push a Christian theocracy onto us, regardless of our religious beliefs or if we want such a thing.

The press really needs to do a better job exposing how Trump actually intends to rule instead of focusing on the usual horserace reporting that normalizes even the worst of Trump’s behavior. I have a feeling that’s not going to happen, so it’s up to the Harris campaign and us to make sure people understand exactly how awful Trump 2: Electric Boogaloo will actually be.

22 Likes

I am so sick of his bullshit and sicker yet that the press treats it as if it is NOT TOTAL BULLSHIT.
Good lord I am sick of it.
Will we ever be rid of him?

18 Likes

Poor, poor, Donnie. His shtick is old and tired and spent and desperate and offensive and much like a past his prime comedian, pathetic.

9 Likes

Of course, Trump is baldly, boldly, and badly lying when he continues to claim to know little about Project 2025. His biggest donors funded it and are already vetting candidates to staff his administration based on their willingness to abide by its intent.

Reporters must demand to know why DJT claims unfamiliarity with something as important as Project 2025.

8 Likes

Trump is a master at misdirection. He says that he would veto legislation to ban abortion nationwide but he doesn’t say he will support a woman’s right to choose if he reaches the Oval Office.

There is a lot he could do to help states restrict pregnant women’s access to confidential health care short of an outright ban.

Reporters must demand to know which states allow post-birth abortions.

5 Likes

If Trump is elected, the SC will effectively become irrelevant. How many warm bodies does it take to wield a rubber stamp for a “dictator for life”?

6 Likes

As long as he goes to Jail, i’ll even kick in the $200 myself

9 Likes

Looks like the list has been leaked!

2 Likes

Who does 45 expect to create vacancies on the Court? Will it just be him srnding Sotomayor, Kagan & Jackson to Gitmo?

3 Likes

“The Federalist Society doesn’t know what time it is,”

• Russell Vought

Didn’t the SS say something like that to the SA back in 1934?

3 Likes

Since he seems to be down on Leonard Leo, I guess he’s regretting that Roy Cohn is no longer around to tell him who should go on the list, although I’m sure Aileen Cannon is at the top, followed my Matt Whitaker, Rudy Giuliani (I don’t think being a lawyer is required, so disbarment shouldn’t hurt Rudy), Jeff Clark, John Eastman, Alina Habba, and others who haven’t turned on him. Maybe Dershowitz and Turley, too.

5 Likes

Trump’s behavior on this is yet more evidence that the most important issue, regardless of a people say when some pollster asks them the question, but the most important issue on the ballot is abortion. Trump realizes that he is on the losing side of that position, and is desperately trying to put himself on the winning side. The problem is that nobody on the winning side is going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and while many people on the losing side will give him the benefit of the doubt, or just assume that he’s lying, there are many who will not, and this will cost him the election.

I disagree with Peter Wehner on just about every issue, but he’s got the right of the politics of the situation in his latest Atlantic piece.

While I’m mentioning the Atlantic, it fills me with joy that their attempt to promote
Conor Friedesdorf’s attempt to appear like a serious thinker failed, and it’s near universally unclicked on based on their own popularity list.

3 Likes

For Trump supporters, the issue is abortion, and how potential justices would feel about it. Your point makes it clear that Trump has a completely different priority.

3 Likes

You ain’t lyin’ !

7 Likes

His Subprime Court list:

Aileen Cannon
John Eastman
Kim Kardashian
Barron Trump

5 Likes

Only one of those four is even close to qualified. It’s not the lawyers or the nepotism candidate.

3 Likes

General Bone Spurs makes Arlington all about him, He wants a medal cuz reasons
Well and truly beyond sickening…

9 Likes