Trump, DA’s Office Make Their Closing Arguments To The Jury - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Trump’s favorite tune being played: Poor poor pitiful me

12 Likes

I did too when I switched browsers. My main browser must be using a cached version of the page.

1 Like

If it’s appealable then this is good news imo. It would of been worst if she did a gag order that was so weak it was meaningless and she didn’t enforce it.

9 Likes

And Smith got his appealable request to the 11th, which is all he needed. Surprised Cannon didn’t try to delay her order as long as possible.

26 Likes

Odd timing. Was she intentionally waiting until the focus was somewhere else?

12 Likes

More Litman

13 Likes

I hope if Blanche is trying to make the Nat. Enq. look like some kind of Bastion of Truth…the DA reminds the jury of the totally fabricated hit pieces it ran against whomever was closest to Chump in the primaries. They were killing stories that were bad about Chump (the truth) and making shit up about whomever Chump pointed to.

Real classy.

14 Likes

It’s worth remembering that there was a magat on Manafort’s jury -and a sympathetic judge that shaded things Manafort’s way as much as possible (remember “oligarch” is pejorative?) - that magat still convicted Manafort on 8 of 10 counts.

12 Likes

And he mentions that one reason jurors should find that the records were not falsified is that Cohen was performing legal work for Trump throughout 2017. This presents a minor but irrelevant problem for Trump, in that Cohen described his legal work as effectively hawking access.

Blanche adds that Cohen testified that the legal work was “minimal,” but still present.

Did the prosecutors ask Cohen to estimate how many hours he actually worked for DT? Seems like it might be a bit hard to convince the jury that DT would pay an hourly rate of $20K or more for work on Melania’s patents, Tiffany’s extortion, etc.

2 Likes

Everything about Cannon is odd-timing. She seems to be waiting until she gets clear orders from Chump and FedSoc before ever setting her next foot down.

20 Likes

Just a reminder here that juries are unpredictable. Reminding voters that Trump is a soon-to-be-convicted criminal is risky when he might be acquitted, or if it’s a hung jury.

In my view, the time for the Biden campaign to focus on his criminal status is after he’s convicted, when he actually would be a convicted felon with a pending appeal. Not now, when the trial is still underway. All this does is feed Trump more ammunition for claims that Biden is using the DOJ to harm his campaign. You can bet the media will be shouting questions about this at Biden’s next press conference.

6 Likes

Blanche seems to be writing a bunch of blank checks for the prosecution.

“There’s no evidence of X!”

“Actually, here is the documentary evidence of X and three separate witnesses confirmed it as well.”

37 Likes

We may be at the point in the program where the prosecution is handed the opportunity on closing to shoot multiple fish in a barrel.

8 Likes

“(Trump was)…constantly multitasking. He was President of the United States.”

Yeah. Busy man. Tweeting and presidenting.

3 Likes

NYT Liveblog:

We’re back from the break. Todd Blanche says that he has about half an hour left of his closing argument. And the judge says the jurors have agreed to stay late if necessary, seemingly ensuring that closing arguments will conclude today.

6 Likes

Oddly…all of dropbox.com is down, too.

3 Likes

“President Trump is in the real estate business,” Blanche says. “It doens’t mean that you go into the closing with a duffel bag full of green.”

I would strongly suspect Trump HAS NEVER paid “cash” during a real estate transaction. He leverages and mortgages everything to the hilt.

8 Likes

It’s coming from… inside the thread!

9 Likes

And being the best Presidential Golfer. Obama couldn’t golf like him. Ike? Duffer.

3 Likes

Well he can. Will the jury find it persuasive? I’m hoping not. The court of public opinion certainly shouldn’t.

3 Likes